What did you do in your Wested today ??

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

TCARTPILOT
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

What did you do in your Wested today ??

Post by TCARTPILOT »

As I sit hear reading the forum and wishing that I had my new Wested jacket back from having a minor alteration I am thinking of all of you lucky people that must be happly enjoying your jackets and wondering what you did in your Wested today?

Any stories out there yearning to be told?

Tcart
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Hmm, well let's see. It was 102 degrees today! It was in the closet where it's been all summer!! :wink:

have nice day.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I'm finally wearing mine again, now that it's starting to cool off a bit. But all summer it was crammed in the back of my SUV - in case I got an excuse to wear it some evening.

This provided some really cool crinkles...so now that is my default 'not wearing it' mode. Jammed in the back of the truck. Now bake in the sun a little more!

(Today it waited patiently in the back of the truck while I (and my MKVII) took my girls into the zoo. Good jacket, Daddy will be back soon. ;))
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I went to school and cycled about 3 miles in it.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Texas Raider wrote:Hmm, well let's see. It was 102 degrees today! It was in the closet where it's been all summer!! :wink:

have nice day.
I'm just north on U.S.75 from Texas Raider, so ditto.

But we're expecting two cold fronts to move through by the end of the week. We may only have high temperatures in the 80s. Woo Hoo! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Cheers!
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Too warm in New York to wear a jacket but I am waiting for the change in temperature!
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

I'm wearing it at work because the management finds it necessary to lower the thermostat per however many degrees it goes down outside.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

It's not really today, but this weekend I was in North Conway, NH and the temperature went down to about 35 F at night. I brought my Wested and was going to wear it, but we went out to dinner, so I wore my tweed jacket and Adventurebilt instead.

Still, it is getting close to Wested weather in New England. :wink:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Hmm, well let's see. It was 102 degrees today! It was in the closet where it's been all summer!!
What's funny about this is that you'll find people here who will wear their Wested in 102 dg heat or even -30 dg and they'll even say it was comfortable. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've never figured that one out either, agent5. :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Michaelson wrote:I've never figured that one out either, agent5. :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indy took his off in Cairo!
Personally, I can't wear mine in extreme cold either. New England winters are cold and wet. The last thing I want to wear is thin leather! You should see my puffy Gore-Tex North Face Parka, it's like wearing a sleeping bag. :wink: :lol:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I prefer Halti Tunturisusi DrymaxX.

Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

Well I just got my replacement jacket back from Wested today...oh the agony of waiting.

But I took the dog for a very long walk, and a strange thing happened a couple on a bus passing by was looking and pointing at me. My partner or I didn't know them, and the dog isn't a rare breed, and my partner wasn't exactly dresses in anything as exciting as a wested. Maybe they recognised the jacket - who knows.
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

Spent most of the afternoon in my local enjoying a well delayed day off. The weather in Blighty is just perfect for Westeds about now.
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

Got my new Lamb-Raiders in July. Now i'ts getting colder I'll be wearing it a lot more. 8)
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

agent5 wrote:
Hmm, well let's see. It was 102 degrees today! It was in the closet where it's been all summer!!
What's funny about this is that you'll find people here who will wear their Wested in 102 dg heat or even -30 dg and they'll even say it was comfortable. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know about -30 fahrenheit, but I wore mine at around -10 to around -20 Celsius. Wearing it at 90 dg(F) is still a bit hot for me.

Today was around 20dg(C) and the only reason I wore it was because it was raining hard. But this Thursday is suppose to be a high of 15dg(C), so my jacket will definately get some use that day
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

I'm going Ice-climbing in Scotland in December, I'll be taiking it my Raiders Jacket. It might not be great use though in the mountains in the cold. :? I need to get a Gore-Tex jacket. And I'm going to take my AB for the first time to. 8)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I never purposely plan on wearing my jacket in hot weather. I go in at 4a.m. and the building is very cold inside so I wear it into work, while I work and then, when I leave at around 2 p.m. I just wear it home or as I run errands and it is so comfortable that I usually just forget to take it off. Trust me, there are times when Mother Nature and her oven WILL make it uncomfortable and off it will come but whenh I do wera it in extreme weather, it is never a deliberate choice.
I was caught in a snow storm once and all I had on was my wested...it was ordinarily chilly but I was still very comfy. On Really cold days I wear my Jedi robe. Now that`s an article of gear to wear.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Its a bit too warm for a Wested today. :( However, it rained all day yesterday, so I spent most of the day using my Wested as a rain coat. Its amazing how goatskins turns water. 8)
Lord_Clarence
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lord_Clarence »

Wore mine up at my father-in-law's cabin near Laporte, CA (read: the boonies). Was nice and cool!

Cordially,
Lord Clarence
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I don't know about -30 fahrenheit, but I wore mine at around -10 to around -20 Celsius.
Celsius? CELSIUS? WHY are you confusing me and who in the heck pays attention to celsius anyways? :lol: Seriously though, why use both? Do Canadians use celcuis instead of fahrenheit? Teach me something.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

-10°C is about 14°F. -20°C is about -4°F.
agent5 wrote:who in the heck pays attention to celsius anyways?
About 5 billion people.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

VP wrote:-
About 5 billion people.
Only 5 billion? Well, if THAT'S all, why bother? :? :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

We shall introduce a brand new temperature system: Michaelson!

-How many degrees it is outside, dear?
-It's 69 degrees Michaelson.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd hate to figure out how one would figure that scale. Is it based on the amount of clothing Michaelson is wearing on any given day? Ick! :shock: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

No, it's based on the temperature of Michaelson's coffee on any given day.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Humm. Good scale! :-k :wink: Right now it's pretty cold! :shock: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Brr...Michaelson's coffee is cold. Better put on a sweater. :shock:

Didn't Einstein say "God doesn't play dice w/ the universe."? Michaelson, heat up that coffee! :lol:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

agent5 wrote:
I don't know about -30 fahrenheit, but I wore mine at around -10 to around -20 Celsius.
Celsius? CELSIUS? WHY are you confusing me and who in the heck pays attention to celsius anyways? :lol: Seriously though, why use both? Do Canadians use celcuis instead of fahrenheit? Teach me something.
Some of us older types were brought up on Farenheit but are now officially temperatures are quoted in Celsius (I remember when it was called centigrade - what happened to that?)

Anyway a strange quirk here is we often to use Farenheit when it is hot: "Boy, it's going to reach 95 today!" Sounds hotter!

And celsius when it is cold "down to minus 10 tonight." sounds colder. No one dets confused! :)

KT in good old blighty, 15-20 celsius (59-68 f) during the day down to about 10c (50f) at night. Perfect Wested weather.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What did you do in your Wested today ??

Post by zeus36 »

TCARTPILOT wrote:As I sit hear reading the forum and wishing that I had my new Wested jacket back from having a minor alteration I am thinking of all of you lucky people that must be happly enjoying your jackets and wondering what you did in your Wested today?

Any stories out there yearning to be told?

Tcart
I prepped up two supersonic vehicles for launch via F-16 jets in the New Mexico desert and helped load them during the early morning hours. Even wore my standard Federation (except on the flightline).

That's about all the detail I can give out.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I walked my dog on a temperate late summer evening in Boston last night with my Wested, hiking boots, and khakis. It was the first time this season I was able to wear it comfortably.
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

I decided to wear the Aldens again now that it's getting a bit more chilly here in Denmark. That reminded me of Your question because I use most of my gear every day at work. Today, with the Aldens, it became 4 pieces in all: My goat jacket (wear it every day till snow comes or heatwawe strikes), Raiders gunbelt, Indy-bag today with TAG straps and the Aldens. had it been rain I probably would have worn my Fed. DL as well. Rain has made the size just right for me, and it's just great for rain.

Cheers
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

!

Post by Bogie1943 »

Thought I would chime in, I try to wear my Wested's all year round. During the hot months I often wear my Indy jackets during the evening hours if I can get away with it. I really try to wear mine whenever I can get away with it. Some people I know must think I am a little crazy. However I say, if Indy can wear his in the deserts of Egypt, I can wear mine in the summers of Southern Ohio!
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

I haven't done anything my wested or my expo since last winter... Way to hot here in GA.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Finally got to wear my cotton Wested after it's first dry cleaning. It will be in the 40's tonight, so it will be MUCH appreciated on the cool drive home tonight. Regards! Michaelson
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

Today was perfect Wested weather. There was even a cool Autumn breeze. It's kinda odd this Fall, so far. It's either I wear my Wested or go in a t-shirt. I have a Spring jacket, another movie replica jacket (Goldeneye), but since it's cotton, against strong wind or rain, it's not that effective.
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

Had to send mine back but the funny thing was I told my girlfriend the day it arrives it wil be in the 90's. I was right, it's been 97-98 every day since it came :lol: Well hopefuly by the time I get it back the weather will be jacket weather.

Cheers,
Jeff
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

You guys are lucky...

All I have is a cotton Wested...
...and I had to spend the day fighting off marauding bands of ninjas (which I hate!) :evil:
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Ninjas are just misunderstood, Glurrk.

They're really lovable guys and gals ... that just let out a little steam (and blinding powder/shurikens) every once in a while. :wink: :D

Blamo! Pow! Whap!
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

celcius is much better than farenheit.

Australians use celcius...im never quite sure what the actual tempurature is when i see people quoting f
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

Spooky wrote:Ninjas are just misunderstood, Glurrk.

They're really lovable guys and gals ... that just let out a little steam (and blinding powder/shurikens) every once in a while. :wink: :D
I did try to talk it out with them, Spooky! I'm afraid they just weren't in a listening sort of mood that day! :wink:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Dre wrote:celcius is much better than farenheit.

Australians use celcius...im never quite sure what the actual tempurature is when i see people quoting f
Hahaha...got the same problem, the other way around. ;) Just what I'm used to. It wouldn't be so bad if they lined up at zero at the same point! Celsius hitting 0 when water freezes makes a lot more sense than at 32, though.

I know water freezes at 32, so lower than that is BAD. Under 20 your boogers freeze. :? Under 10 it supposedly 'can't' snow. Under 0 you really don't want to be out. On the UP side, 50-70 is nice, depending on who you are. Over 90 isn't too bad, but over 100 and forget it. (There's a great old Twilight Zone episode about what happens when the temperature reaches 98.;))

P.S. Is it just me or is this thread hopelessly scrogged? Why is it 17 pages wide? Oh, right, I see why now...thanks, VP. :? :wink:
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Jerry ...
Here's a quick way to do in your head:
Just double the celsius, subtract 10% (you don't have to be exact) then add 32 (= Farenheit).

NON PLAUDITE. MODO PECUNIAM JACITE.

Best Regards,
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

I use a similar "In your head" formula".

C = 2(F) + 32

Basically the same thing, except I don't use the 10%
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Or "double it and add thirty" which is what i do, I suspect the -10% plus 32 might be more accurate. :?
TCARTPILOT
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TCARTPILOT »

Wow......this turned into a great thread. Still waiting to hear from Gemma about when my jacket might be done but hopefully any day now!

Here in the Willamette Valley of the Pacific Northwest, it is perfect weather for a leather jacket. Most days 45F or so in the evenings and clear weather. Showers just moved in tonite but the temp is about the same.

I WANT MY WESTED !!

Tcart
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

It has finally got cool enough here in Ohio to start wearing the leather jacket to work in the mornings, and for later in the evening when walking or hiking.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Just wore my HH to the local football game on friday night. Mid 50's--perfect jacket weather.
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Here in Phoenix it's still a bit too hot for the jacket (100 degrees plus -- that's Fahrenheit for those keeping score). I do take every opportunity to wear it when we go to our cabin in Prescott and to visit my daughter at college in Flagstaff -- both at 7000 feet elevation. In fact, we're going to Flagstaff this coming weekend for Parents Weekend, so I'll be wearing my jacket much of the weekend . . .

I did wear my Aldens today, as well as a short sleeved sorta Indy shirt from Wal-Mart. The long sleeved Wested shirt, plus my Cabela's shirt, and my Wested pants and close-enoughs will go with me to Flagstaff this weekend.

Randy