Sort of new revelation on shoe color.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Sort of new revelation on shoe color.

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

I was watching ROTLA on TV this weekend, and noticed something about the color of Indy's shoes. During the movie, when Indy is driving the truck, and crashes through the ladders and water trough, there is a quick shot of his foot pressing down on the accelerator, and I think it's just after he punches the guy he is sharing the wheel with, out of the cab.

This is a call to get someone who can post screen grabs, to do so. I swear that the shoes were orange! Who knows...all of us that own the orange colored shoes my just be bang on! If I'm wrong, so be it, but I swear they were the same as the current color that Aldens offers.

Best Regards,
Paul Stenhouse
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Color, a dangerous territory..

Post by Michaelson »

I've seen that shot over and over, and to my eye it's the reddish leather distressed all to heck. It's all in how we perceive color, and how a monitor is set. You probably DID see orange on your screen. Not saying it's wrong, but Aldens states that they only began making the boots in this leather/tint this past January, and prior to that they were reddish brown of various tints. The color 'debate' is one that is so serious, you'll find the vast majority of professional monitors and camera view finders are black and white. Mine are. We'll NEVER totally agree on color, but we'll ALWAYS agree on whether an image is in focus.That's the reason they're B&W. Regards. Michaelson
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mystique »

Paul I think one of the older posts had that screen grab. Yeah they
sure look pretty orange, but look at them in the Chachapoyan temple
they have nearly match Indy's jacket. The affect of the lighting seems to
change his pants too. Hollwood magic! Off topic, but there is a scene in
Kung Pow! Where the villain says he's a great magician. His shirt color
changes from black to red then to black again. Like Indy's shoes.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Here it is Paul.

It's strange how we notice the same things.

-S
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

..I said that since very long time ! the Indy boots are red brown and not dark brown !! when my boots was new, these were "orange / red" now the boots are exactly the same color as we can see in the movie ( on that pic ) a red brown color !

You can see that also at Noel Howard office, he has an original shoe...
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Awesome

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Sergei,
You blow my mind with speed and computer magic! Thanks for putting this up so quickly. PS..I'm working on your toy this week!

Well, my shoes look like the above picture. If I scuffed them up, they would look almost exactly the same color. And, my TV is about 1 year old, and an HDTV, which probably has something do to with it.

It's just that when I saw this on TV, I thought, "Hey, that's the same color I have!"

I've Pecarded these shoes twice, and polish them about once-twice a week with a dauber and shoe brush. They appear nearly identical in color to the shoe picture from above.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

And.....

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

and to be extra picky, are those laces round, instead of flat?!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Yep

Post by Michaelson »

Those are round laces. I don't see what you two are seeing, though. Sorry. On my monitor, in the dark areas I am seeing the red brown coloring that I'm currently wearing on my feet at this very moment. The lighter areas of the boot shown look like the red/brown areas sanded down by the SFX folks to the base of the factory coloring, which would turn an orangy color. with the application of either fullers earth, or the color of the sand in Tunsia where that shot was done. Like I said, monitors are all different. Regards. Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Just to be clear, I am seeing red/brown as well and that is my color on my shoes. My shoes were definitely the orange color. With pecarding and miltonian brick applications the white stiching and orange have gone away.

I think since Paul, saw this on his brilliant, HDTV monitor, he might have seen things differently. If Rob-DFW is reading, if he could grab this scene and post it might show more clarity in HDTV.

-S
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Understood

Post by Michaelson »

I'll also report that after several applications over the past several weeks of the new Pecards brown leather dressing on my new 'orange' Aldens, they, too, match my red/brown older pair in color and tint. All I've used IS the new product on this pair. The new Pecards has worked great so far, and met my expectations in toning down that color. Regards. Michaelson
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

My shoes match yours

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Sergei,
My shoes, too, have gone the way of color that yours have by treating them the same way. In other words, they are the reddish-brown color that you and Michaelson speak about. I figured that since Harrison had these shoes for awhile (I was under the impression that he owned these before the movie), they too, adopted a more reddish-brown from the original orange. Also, when I look at my laptop screen, and look at my own feet, they look very close in color to me. I also don't have the most discerning eye on the planet, but they are close enough.

Oh well.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Rob-DFW
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rob-DFW »

Sergei wrote: If Rob-DFW is reading, if he could grab this scene and post it might show more clarity in HDTV.

-S
That is one of my grabs, only its been cropped down a little.

Rob
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

HJS and I were noticing that shot too, this weekend...

He applied some brown shoe polish to his last week, and the color is really nice now. About halfway inbetween.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Yep

Post by Chamorro »

Michaelson wrote:Those are round laces.
Was that standard back then? If so, when did they start using flat? I'm having a hard time finding new flat laces but I see round ones that would work all the time.

BTW, all that distressing and the heels aren't worn out? Indy must have got them resoled in Cairo somewhere ...
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

It should be pointed out that this is an insert shot. You don't use a multi-million dollar actor for a shot like that on second unit when you can have him on first unit where his face will be seen.

We have established that there were several hats with there own unique dents and what not used in the film. I notice different jackets. Did the stand-in/double wear Ford's shoes? Not likely. Why couldn't the shoes vary?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Oh, come on MK...

Post by Michaelson »

....we ALL know there was only one of everything in all three movies. We just like to argue about the small points of each item. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

You mean Indy wasn't a real person? Say it ain't so ... ;)
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Chamorro wrote:You mean Indy wasn't a real person? Say it ain't so ... ;)
Oh Great! What'll Santa say when I ask him for my latest Indy item?!

Mike
Yurik
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Yurik »

Another good shot of the boots are in Temple of Doom. Right after Indy hangs his assassin with his whip, he ducks below the hanging body to get to Willie's room. The shot focuses very well on his boots as he runs, and yes, they are reddish with orange distress. It's all about lighting. Hopefully, someone can post some screen grabs of that scene.

YURIK