Canteen?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Canteen?

Post by randystokes »

I don't recall whether we see, in any of the three movies, Indy using a canteen. I do remember a canteen being offered by Donovan to Marcus Brody in the open car in Last Crusade, but don't remember Indy having one.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions for Indy-like canteens? Maybe something that would "coordinate" with the MKVII bag?

Randy

Tentative nickname: Indyzona Stokes . . .
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

yeah i dont think that he even fictionally carried one but, in the game indy and the emperors tomb, you get a canteen.you start out with a small army style one and then you can find an upgrade.the upgrade looks cool.
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

I suppose you could just find a military surplus store & pick up a canteen there, if you were interested in a "period" canteen. My father was in the Army some 45 years ago, so I inherited his old metal one.

Nowadays however, they make nice flexible plastic models that hold more and collapse to take up less space. Also, they weigh less (empty, of course) so they're easier to tote around. For practicality, I recommend a newer canteen. :)
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

How about an enameled 2 pint water bottle that was used by British and Commonwealth armies from the turn of the century until the 1950s (and beyond)? It's squarish, and had a khaki wool cover and cork stopper. The only change made to it over the years was the color of the enamel coating -- blue in the beginning, but changed to khaki brown about the start of WW2. Find yourself a P08 webbing carrier and single shoulder brace (strap) to carry it, or, if your not too worried about the anochronism, the later WW2 P37 version of the same.

Either that, or the classic round canteen with the Indian blanket covered sides? You usually see them a lot in western films.

Cheers!
jack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jack »

[quote="Baggers"]How about an enameled 2 pint water bottle

Too right mate

a 37 patt waterbottle on a cross strap would really fit in with the outfit :D

regards

Jack
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

I've a cannteen like the smaller one from Emperors Tomb.I like the bigger one too, but it's too big for putting it in my bag.

I'd advise to anyone who is going to buy a canteen: Get a plastic one, cause they can't get rust like the metal ones and as Glurrk said they weight less!
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

The Canteen Donovan tries to give to Marcus Brody was a P-37 type canteen, and not a German canteen as one might think they would use in the movie.

I carry a P-37 on a web strap myself, but for short hikes I carry a Swiss Sigg canteen I got from the folks at Sportsmanguide. It fits in the the back left pocket of origional Mark VII bags. They are aluminum comes with a cup, and I was told the style is accurate to the late 1930's.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

The real Henry wrote:I'd advise to anyone who is going to buy a canteen: Get a plastic one, cause they can't get rust like the metal ones and as Glurrk said they weight less!
The trouble with plastic is that the water can take on a plastic taste. Even U.S G.I. 1 quart canteens have this problem. As for metal, if you get one made from stainless steel or aluminum, rust isn't an issue. And I've never had a problem with my British enameled water bottles except for the metal fitting on the bottom of the cork rusting a bit. But that is handled by not storing the bottle with the cork in place, but leaving it off so that it air dries. You can also disassemble the stopper quite easily to clean off any rust that does form or to replace the cork.

I think the issue we need to clarify here is whether or not you want something that has a period look. If so, then you're pretty much limited to a metal canteen of some sort. If not, buy yourself a plastic water bottle and call it good.

Cheers!
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Canteen

Post by Spooky »

IndianaRedmon wrote:The Canteen Donovan tries to give to Marcus Brody was a P-37 type canteen, and not a German canteen as one might think they would use in the movie.
I carry a P-37 on a web strap myself, but for short hikes I carry a Swiss Sigg canteen I got from the folks at Sportsmanguide. It fits in the the back left pocket of origional Mark VII bags. They are aluminum comes with a cup, and I was told the style is accurate to the late 1930's.
Thanks for the find, IndianaRedmon !
Looks like a good canteen. :D
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

How 'bout a flask tucked away in one of the rear pockets with a little *cough*fire*cough* water in it? :wink:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Thats a good idea Indiana, but I'm afraid that you couldn't get enough in it to last all day. :-k :wink: :D
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

The shallow back pocket on my repro MkVII fits a 6 oz flask perfectly. It holds my "rum ration" quite nicely, thank you. \:D/

As they say, "the sun's always over the yardarm somewhere in the British empire."

Cheers!