Which Webley?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

saber1927
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Which Webley?

Post by saber1927 »

You probably have noticed that there is no standard Webley revolver in TLC. I hace seen 1 of the common Mk6 revolvers, when Indy is in the Austrian Castle. 1 of the earlier Mk revolers probably the MK4 or 5 when he pulls it out of his pocket to shoot at the German Fighter plain. And 1 WG (Webley-Greene) model of unknown type that Indy shoots at the Nazi that is riding on the tank, and loses in the grail temple when he is captured. Has anyone else noticed any others.
jack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Which Webley?

Post by jack »

saber1927 wrote:You probably have noticed that there is no standard Webley revolver in TLC. I hace seen 1 of the common Mk6 revolvers, when Indy is in the Austrian Castle. 1 of the earlier Mk revolers probably the MK4 or 5 when he pulls it out of his pocket to shoot at the German Fighter plain. And 1 WG (Webley-Greene) model of unknown type that Indy shoots at the Nazi that is riding on the tank, and loses in the grail temple when he is captured. Has anyone else noticed any others.

When indy pulls it out to fire at the jerry plane thats a mk6 webley he has.
saber1927
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by saber1927 »

Are you sure?
I'll have to rewatch the movie agian but it looks like it has rounded "Bird's Head" style grips when he reaches for it. And the barrel looks a little shorter than six inches, but Webley did make several runs of 4in mark 6 revolvers with the standard squared grip frame for colonial police departments. They arn't that uncommon so it could well be one of those.[/img][/url]
jack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jack »

saber1927 wrote:Are you sure?
I'll have to rewatch the movie agian but it looks like it has rounded "Bird's Head" style grips when he reaches for it. And the barrel looks a little shorter than six inches, but Webley did make several runs of 4in mark 6 revolvers with the standard squared grip frame for colonial police departments. They arn't that uncommon so it could well be one of those.[/img][/url]
I;m pretty sure, if its got a birds beak grip then its a mk1 or a mk5 with 4in barrel. The wg had a 6in barrel with the birds beak grips.

Webley only produced .38 revolvers for police service, with the mk4 military frame and 3in barrel. Also one with a small grip, webley made a mark 4 in .455 also which was never adopted for military service and was a commercial revolver.
saber1927
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by saber1927 »

I have found records that there were at least two orders for 4in Mk6 revolvers by police agencies. Most of the sources I have seen claim they were not intended for that sale but were special order models. One order went to the Royal Irish Constabulry (R.I.C.) in the late 20s to early 30s and were still in service when that establishment was disbared. And the second order went to a South African Police dept. I believe Cape Town but I can't be sure.

I believe you might be right about the 455 MK4 not having been officially adopted by the War department, but I believe that it was one of the "Approved" models avaliable for private purchase by officers. I remember at least one source refering to it as the "Boer War" model do to its high rate of use with Military Officers of that time.

More than likely your right that the revolver, if it is a "bird's head" model like I think, is a Mk5 as they are much more common than the 455 Mark 4s. Like you said no way it could have been a WG. thier just to big for pocket carry.

Interesting that the 5 earlier marks combined, some of which only saw a few hundred produced, barely equal the amount of MK6 revolvers made during WW1, 300,000.
jack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jack »

saber1927 wrote:I have found records that there were at least two orders for 4in Mk6 revolvers by police agencies. Most of the sources I have seen claim they were not intended for that sale but were special order models. One order went to the Royal Irish Constabulry (R.I.C.) in the late 20s to early 30s and were still in service when that establishment was disbared. And the second order went to a South African Police dept. I believe Cape Town but I can't be sure.

I believe you might be right about the 455 MK4 not having been officially adopted by the War department, but I believe that it was one of the "Approved" models avaliable for private purchase by officers. I remember at least one source refering to it as the "Boer War" model do to its high rate of use with Military Officers of that time.

More than likely your right that the revolver, if it is a "bird's head" model like I think, is a Mk5 as they are much more common than the 455 Mark 4s. Like you said no way it could have been a WG. thier just to big for pocket carry.

Interesting that the 5 earlier marks combined, some of which only saw a few hundred produced, barely equal the amount of MK6 revolvers made during WW1, 300,000.
The webley supplied to the ric in the 20's and 30's was the .455 mark 4.
Antilles
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Antilles »

From the best of my ability to view the Webley on screne, I only recognize a "WG" model Webley present in the movie. For example, in the scene when Indy draws his revolver from his waste band on the beach it has the "birds head" style grip (although not all Greene models had the "birds head" style), as well as a raised hump on the grip frame where the web of the hand rests. Most evident however, is the down turned hammer spurr that indicates the "WG" style. Just a conjecture.

Antilles
graal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by graal »

Image :wink:
Last edited by graal on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antilles
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Antilles »

I rest my case. :D
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Are we saying that the Webley MK VI is nowhere in Indiana Jones??? And I just BOUGHT one!

Aw man! This happens EVERY single time!

Mike
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

There are Mk-VI's in Last Crusade, but the handle styles vary. I own a standard style Webley, and I couldn't love it more if I tried.
graal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by graal »

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Could you please reduce the size of your photo! It's HUGE!!!! :shock: Regards! Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Yup, that thing looks like a cannon on my 19" monitor. :shock:

:lol:

Regards,
Swindiana
graal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by graal »

Swindiana wrote:Yup, that thing looks like a cannon on my 19" monitor. :shock:

:lol:

Regards,
Swindiana
Oups ! :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Thank you! :D Regards! Michaelson
graal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by graal »

IndyFrench wrote:Are we saying that the Webley MK VI is nowhere in Indiana Jones??? And I just BOUGHT one!
Yes ! :(
shadwell55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

INdys pants in thegun pic

Post by shadwell55 »

I know this is off topic but check out the screen grab of the revolver in Indy's pants. Notice how tight their are cinched and how the waistband gathers. I take this to mean that he was wearing at least one size larger pants than his "real" size, which would allow for more movement in the action scenes.
starwarsfanatic
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by starwarsfanatic »

I am having this discussion on a different forum as well. There are two scenes where you can see the Webley appears to lose its bird beak and become a standard MKVI. The first is when Indy is fighting on the tank. You see the rear of the gun clearly and it is NOT shaped like the WG. The other time is when Indy's father is hugging him after the tank/cliff scene. You see the gun again from a side profile and it does not have the tapered handle of the WG. I sent a letter to Vic Armstrong, Harrison Ford's stunt double, asking about the possibility of more than one gun being used.

Cheers.
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

In movie production there are ALWAYS backup guns, plus rubber moldings for fight scenes. If Bapty's didn't have two Webley-Greens a
MK Vl would have been used. Same thing as Model 1892 Winchester carbines being used in Civil War era films. The saying in the business is "nobody knows the difference" They didn't count on us showing up did they. :lol:
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Gotta agree with Lee on this one

Post by M1917 »

I'm a big John Wayne fan, and grew up watching many of his films. But the weapons are way wrong for the time periods depicted. That doesn't make them bad films. Like Lee said, they didn't think people would notice. As fans, we notice. And as they say, "the devil's in the details."
R/S
Fritz