socks?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

socks?

Post by Vannevar »

so, what kind of socks were used?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Oh, no, here we go again! :lol: There's been occasional debate over this, including a handful of screen shots. There's the black sock argument, the brown sock argument, and even the white sock argument. It usually leads to "I think they were striped" comments (usually from folks like me). :wink: I'm just waiting for the "official" Indy socks to crop up from a vendor! :lol:

bink
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hey, lets just not start a boxer or brief debate. :roll: :D
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

I wonder if he wore sock suspenders.:-k

I mean, he did wear dress pants to go out in the field. :-k
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I vote "dark". Brown or black. 100% wool. :shock: :)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

ditto. Although I could imagine Indy wearing cotton in S. America. :junior: -IJ
Last edited by Mulceber on Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Maybe even a Silk and Wool blend, that seems to be a pretty popular sock material preference of the 1930s. :-k
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

IndianaJones wrote:ditto. Although I could see Indy wearing cotton in S. America. :junior: -IJ
Where did you see it?
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I don't think he actually meant he could see them. I think he means he imagines that Indy would ware cotton socks when he was in S. America where it's hot.
Last edited by Ark Hunter on Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

IndyDoc wrote:I don't think he actually meant he could see them. I think he means he immagines that Indy would ware cotton socks when he was in S. America where it's hot.
Oh i see... ops sorry :oops:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I don't think they would be black. Black and brown (khaki) do not match, especially going into brown(ish) shoes. I would imagined, and since we don't know I can only imagine, they were some sort of khaki military sock. But, who knows, maybe he is eccentric and loves black socks or argyles. :wink: :D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

His socks could have been black. I mean, when I'm out on an 'adventure' I'm not to worried about my socks matching the rest of my clothes. I'm more concerned about having the right sock for the job. (i.e. A warm sock in cold weather or a sock that won't rub a blister, etc.)

Does anyone else find this kinda silly? :oops:

:wink: :lol:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:His socks could have been black. I mean, when I'm out on an 'adventure' I'm not to worried about my socks matching the rest of my clothes. I'm more concerned about having the right sock for the job. (i.e. A warm sock in cold weather or a sock that won't rub a blister, etc.)

Does anyone else find this kinda silly? :oops:

:wink: :lol:
Are you calling my opinion silly?

He took great pains to match everything else, why not his socks?

I think that few people in the general population have done some of the hardcore adventures that I have, and I can assure you that everything I wear always matches. It's one of the best ways to keep things straight and not to forget anything.

One of the first rules of survival on any outing, is attention to detail. Attention to detail keeps people alive. I know that when I grab my ice climbing gear, everything is blue and black; my ski outfit is gray and black; and my rock climbing clothes are khak.

I wouldn't lax my attention to something even as inconsequential as a sock. I have socks made from wool, cotton, silk, even neoprene. I always bring the right socks and they always go with, or match, what I am wearing. Call it silly if you like, but now you know "what a cautious fellow I am."
Last edited by Hemingway Jones on Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hemingway Jones wrote: Are you calling my opinion silly?

No, no...of course I'm not calling your opinion silly. I mean this whole discussion is kinda silly. We've analyzed all of his gear so thoroughly that all we have left to take about is the color of his socks. I just find it funny. :lol:

And you right khaki and black just doesn't 'sing.' :wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:
Hemingway Jones wrote: Are you calling my opinion silly?

No, no...of course I'm not calling your opinion silly. I mean this whole discussion is kinda silly. We've analyzed all of his gear so thoroughly that all we have left to take about is the color of his socks. I just find it funny. :lol:

And you right khaki and black just doesn't 'sing.' :wink:
I think the old man is a little oversensitive today. I totally agree that the entire discussion is kind of silly, but, since we don't know, it is also a lot of fun to discuss. I personally think he would take great attention to each item of gear and clothing, for the reasons stated above.

I definitely read your post the wrong way and that's way I asked. Afterall Weaver, I know that we are pals. :wink: :D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hemingway Jones wrote: I definitely read your post the wrong way and that's way I asked. Afterall Weaver, I know that we are pals. :wink: :D
Ah heck...don't worry, its kinda hard to convey emotions over the net. :wink:

And of course we're pals! :tup:

EDIT: Yup, I'm enjoying the discussion too. I must admit I've found myself wondering about his socks before too. :)
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

OK, if you guys are determined to find out the sock colour, I'm sure you can see the tops of the left sock HF is wearing in Raiders at the point where he's sat on the ground in front of Belloq, I think just before he hands over his HE2.

Anyone want to do a screen grab & maybe post a lightened up pic too for comparision? (unfortunately I don't have the ability to do screen grabs :( )

Have to say it looked black when I bothered to look :? + IMHO if HF provided his Aldens as the Indy boots, I figure the socks must just be whatever HF was happy wearing from his own underwear draw! :-k
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Skippy wrote:OK, if you guys are determined to find out the sock colour, I'm sure you can see the tops of the left sock HF is wearing in Raiders at the point where he's sat on the ground in front of Belloq, I think just before he hands over his HE2.

Anyone want to do a screen grab & maybe post a lightened up pic too for comparision? (unfortunately I don't have the ability to do screen grabs :( )
I've looked at that scene and it's just hard to tell. I'll post screens and explination in a minute.
Skippy wrote:+ IMHO if HF provided his Aldens as the Indy boots, I figure the socks must just be whatever HF was happy wearing from his own underwear draw! :-k
That's probably a good point, if HF had foot issues (is that why he wanted to ware his own shoes?) he COULD have worn whatever socks he normally wore too.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yea, you can see it pretty clear. I'd say that it is a brown or maybe black sock.

:)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

erri_wan wrote:Oh i see... ops sorry :oops:
Yeah, sorry about that. I've corrected it to avoid any further confusion. :junior: -IJ
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Why, screen caps can only give us an idea of color.
Ok, 1 is a diffent frame than the other three. There is a lighting and color differnce just between those to frames. Looking at the RGB numbers seems there is generally more Red and Green (making brown). RGB is probably what we should be looking at, but for the sake of confusing everyone more, if you look at the CMYK numbers there's more cyan (blue) and black than magenta (red) and yellow. (making probably a more black...maybe still brown)

#1, 2, & 3 are lightened up in the same way (from the middle of the levels adjustment--looking brownish), #4 is lightened up from the bright end of the levels. (looks black). Thus, depending on your lightening technique the color can change. Looking at the RGB color numbers on the raw capture I'd lean toward dark brown, though they look black in the unadjusted capture)

Make your own judgements.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Oh boy revival of the great sock debate! :lol:
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Indiana_Tone wrote:From the screenshots, I'd say we can at least rule out "white cotton" from the list. :D
Nope. Check the Flying Wing scene...
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Mmmh interesting... there are pics of his socks then.

Well i guess indana jones' socks are made of different tissues, changing everytime for example if he is in cold places (nepal) or warm places (south america).
I don't think that socks topic is something to worry so much about :wink:

Guys, just choose a nice colour matching with the gear. That's my opinion :D
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

rick5150 wrote:
Indiana_Tone wrote:From the screenshots, I'd say we can at least rule out "white cotton" from the list. :D
Seriously? Is so, where exactly? I didn't see any that were white.

Tone (and others),
It's not THAT important. It's not like the obvious stuff, but if we've got good evedence why not be authentic.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

There are plenty of shots in Raiders where you can glimpse the socks. They're black and look fairly thick. Black wool socks.

-R
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Who is it that thinks black socks don't go with khaki? You may be right, but Indy's pants are TAUPE! :wink: Black and taupe go fine, especially since his shirt is such a light "stone" color. It's perfect, darkest colors on bottom, lightest on top. Since it's all "earthy" colors, it's hard to tell the socks are black, and by comparison, dark brown looks black. So, I personally have both. :wink: Dark brown AND black, and both look smashing!

have a nice day.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Texas Raider wrote:Who is it that thinks black socks don't go with khaki? You may be right, but Indy's pants are TAUPE! :wink: Black and taupe go fine, especially since his shirt is such a light "stone" color. It's perfect, darkest colors on bottom, lightest on top. Since it's all "earthy" colors, it's hard to tell the socks are black, and by comparison, dark brown looks black. So, I personally have both. :wink: Dark brown AND black, and both look smashing!
That's a very good point. Well done. His pants are indeed taupe.
Personally, I still think the socks are a dark brown. I can't imagine having black socks into brown shoes, but who knows? :wink:

It's a shame they never shot him with his shoes off, or in that cliched scene from old movies where the hero pours about 5 lbs of sand from his boots. :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

In raiders i think he was without shoes when he lays on the bed in Katanga's room but i'm not sure, i should watch that part again.
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

He would have worn dark color socks of 100 % wool or a wool blend. Wool wicks moisture away from the skin ( good thing in the tropics), and it keeps skin warn in cold weather. I doubt he would have worn cotton socks; they sock up moisture and stick to the skin.
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

J_Weaver wrote:Hey, lets just not start a boxer or brief debate. :roll: :D
Actually if you want to know both Harrison Ford and Sean Connery were sporting red boxer shorts when filming LC. I remember back when they were shooting the film an insider leaked info about the underwear scene and they were going to appear on screen but in the end the scene was left out. Watching the bonus dvd the other day Connery mentioned that he didnt have any trousers on during some of the shoots because of the hot weather so there might be some evidence to support what happened.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Nice work with the screen caps IndyDoc :D

Need to watch the flying wing scene tho' now :-k

Have to say I'm not that fussed about this from an accuracy point of view, just fun to discuss :P

Personally I don't like wool socks because appart from being inchy, they are a pain to wash. Wouldn't want black socks because of the risk of the colour bleeding from too much sweat into the cotton duck lining of Aldens.

Just bought a few pairs of these to try out on holiday 8)

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId= ... ctNo=TA800
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

IndyDoc wrote:
rick5150 wrote:
Seriously? Is so, where exactly? I didn't see any that were white.

There is a much better shot of the white socks out there somewhere though....
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

rick5150 wrote:There is a much better shot of the white socks out there somewhere though....
Rick, that is a sepia picture. Couldn't those socks be light khaki?
Thanks,
HJ
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Great pic :notworthy: I love those pics from back in the '80s & from SW:ANH in the '70s :D

Sorry to go off topic, but look at those guys from the crew (GL too) with the hankies over their necks. How the devil did HF survive running round in a leather jacket in the Tunisian heat most of the time! :shock:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Because he looked so much cooler! :lol:
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Hemingway Jones wrote:
rick5150 wrote:There is a much better shot of the white socks out there somewhere though....
Rick, that is a sepia picture. Couldn't those socks be light khaki?
Thanks,
HJ
They could be, but they are not. :)

There is an excellent picture - I think it was the one when he is coming off the flying wing to fight the mechanic. We may have lost it in the crash or whoever posted it may have deleted the picture rendering a dead link. If I think of it I will get a screen grab tonight.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Good find VP. That thread says the white socks may be found when Indy gets on the plane with Jaque (sp?). I'll have to check that. If he is wareing white socks somewhere it's probably just a continuity error like when his bag gets flipped in the Cairo fight. (or done for a reason and wasn't meant to be seen)
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Here are some grabs. I only found one section where he was wearing white (or light colored) socks. It was not in the Tannis dig scenes, but later, when he jumps on the horse for the chase. (clik pic for large view)

first, the jump on to Jocks plane- black(dark)
[URL=http://img291.echo.cx/my.php?image ... .png[/img][/url]

next, flying wing fight-black(dark)

then, good shot of upper hooks not laced on Aldens.

and,

and,another good shot of upper hooks not laced

and finally, the white socks appear!- look closely :wink:

and,

have a nice day.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Darn it, I was sure that was the scene. The members who have been here for a while will surely remember the white socks? Help me out guys? Of course, the memory is the first (or is that the second?) thing to go... :oops:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Is it possible it's the stut man that's got the white/light socks on?
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Debates over Indiana Jones' socks ... I love this place! :tup: :D

and as a bonus we got some quality Alden pics.

Now ... what size shoe did he wear? :oops:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Alabama Jones wrote:Now ... what size shoe did he wear? :oops:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

AFAIAC, Indiana Jones wears black socks. Not white tennis socks. If Harrison Ford happened to change socks during shooting under the hot desert sun, I won't blame him... I'd blame the continuity guy. :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

This socks topic is driving you mad LOL :lol:

Very good pics anyway Texas Raider :wink: i'm now convinced he wears black socks (or dark colour anyway).
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

rick5150 wrote: Of course, the memory is the first (or is that the second?) thing to go... :oops:
My grandfather says its the second thing to go. :wink: :lol:
Mat Cauthon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mat Cauthon »

Now, who can guess what brand they are? lol :lol:

Brendon
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

erri_wan wrote:In raiders i think he was without shoes when he lays on the bed in Katanga's room but i'm not sure, i should watch that part again.
Sorry if i post again in this topic but just today i watched Raiders again and i was right, in katanga's cabin you can see black (or dark whatever exact colour they are) socks when Marion is on the bed with him and she puts his legs on the bed (or on her, cant remember right now). You can perfectly see dark socks. So i can suppose all the arguments for white socks are off :lol:

Sorry if i dont have pics to support this but just watch that part in the widescreen (dvd) version :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

erri_wan wrote:
erri_wan wrote:So i can suppose all the arguments for white socks are off :lol:

Nope. To many still photos of him wearing both versions. Regards! Michaelson