Flight Suit catalog

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Flight Suit catalog

Post by guitone »

I finally got one yesterday and the jackets really do look better in the catalog, espeically the Raiders that I have been considering. Now that I see a good pic of it I know it is the same design as the Avirex I bought and loved a few years ago, the one that fell apart (stiching) within a couple months of purchase)..so it is a good bet this will be the one I keep when they send the expedition and the raiders for me to try..should be in mid may or so.....there are some really nice styles that for whatever reason I did not see on their webpage.
lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lowmileage »

The Flightsuits Expedition is a 1st quality jacket. Super light and it fits you like a glove.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

I wasn't sure if this was worthy of a 'new' thread, so I thought it would be more appropriate to revive this one.

After years of visiting their old, outdated site, it appears that soon G&B will have a new site with up-to-date information (as well as a soon to be available catalog); and what really looks to be interesting is that it appears that they will have a forum on their site.

http://www.remedyone.com/clients/gibsonbarnes/index.htm

I'm aware that COW is mostly comprised of a Wested crowd of late, but none-the-less, G&B is still a player that makes a fine Indy style jacket IMO and hopefully with more customer interest/input (possibly via their forum depending on how it works) and a different marketing mind-set they may win back old customers and encourage new ones, at least in part, with better customer relations, and, hopefully a wider choice of offerings. At least an attempt seems to be taking place, ...then again, at this stage who can say for certain.

The site is still only in it's infancy and contains many dead links, but it looks promising to those interested.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Cool! Thank you Rixter for the update! :D

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Flyer05
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

GB Site

Post by Flyer05 »

That site has been like that for quite some time, with no progress. Anyone have any info on if they plan on completing it?
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Hello All,

Just wanted to throw my two cents in to the discussion. I ordered and received a Flightsuit Expedition in Goat about three months ago. I can say without a doubt that the jacket is worth the money.

In my (humble) opinion, an item is only expensive when it's NOT worth the money, and the Flightsuit Expedition is absolutely worth the money.

This is a jacket I expect to hand down to my grandchildern. Why quibble over the price, when the return on investment in durability, looks, peace of mind ( with the quality) and sheer pleasure you get from wearing it will more than offset the cost?

Just my two cents...

Nevada
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Again, Welcome to the Forum, Nevada ! :D

I concur with your statements wholeheartedly. I have a Dark Brown Goat from G&B.
It is extremely impressive with regards to its look, toughness, and comfort.
Over the years, I've had several leather jackets of various hides and styling
(including my Dad's military jacket), but it is by far the finest of the lot.
I do plan to purchase a Wested someday - however, I'd like to wait and visit the shop in person.

And BTW, Tone:
That veiled offer of mine (during a previous thread) for you to torture (OK, "distress" :roll:)
my new Wested someday in your leather chamber of horrors is definitely OFF the table! :lol: :lol: :wink:

RE: G&B Customer Relations
I can only speak for my own experience:
The salesperson that assisted me at G&B was not knowledgeable with regards to the Indiana Jones jacket/features
(e.g. At first, she tried to convince me that the Indy jacket had fabric on the bottom [just like Military jackets #-o].
The other staff members I met were not knowledgeable either and did not offer much in the way of design options.
However, in her defense, she was extremely patient and cordial and did her best to give me personalized attention
(and tried her level best to be 'helpful' - which I very much appreciated).
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Nah Tone - your jacket looks great.

... It's just that after reading some of your 'Distressimator' posts of late -
I get the sneaking suspicion that you're starting to enjoy the sound of screaming leather just a little too much ... :wink: :lol:

:: Hannibal Lector slurp sounds :: :twisted:
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

Hi Nevada! Just curious what size Flightsuits you ordered. Was it your regular size or did you go down a size as it appears Flightsuits run a little large. I am planning to order one shortly. Thanks.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Hey IndyJim,

I ordered a 46 Regular and it fits me like it was custom made. Sleeve length is perfect, and with just enough room in the body to wear a light sweater underneath if I should choose. I'd say order whatever size you normally wear for a suit jacket. BTW, the pictures on the website don't do it justice, the color and texture in person are just awesome. The paper catalog pictures are MUCH better...

Also, I'm not a patient man, and one of the nice things about ordering through Flightsuit is that there's no translating to be done from the American standard to the English, and of course the wait-time for delivery is almost non-existent. No customs fee, etc. They had to cut mine to order since they didn't have one on the rack, and I still got mine within a week. Order it with confidence and be done with getting the perfect jacket.

In Adventure,

Nevada
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

IndyJim,

P.S. 46 is my regular size and the fit is perfect. I'd say just order your normal suit jacket size, forget about going down a size.

Nevada
Mr. Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. Jones »

There's a size 44 on sale at their web site if you fit:

1132 Expedition MM Lambskin Dark Seal Torso - short length. Sleeves - Regular length. $299
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

Thanks Nevada. I normally take a 44R. Seems to work best for me. I don't want the jacket to be too big but I was concerned about sleeve length if I went down a size. Thank you, too, Mr. Jones. I already checked on that clearance jacket. The length is only 23" and I think that would be too short.
Also, the chest measurement she gave me was 53". Whomever that jacket
was made for must have been shaped like a barrel. My understanding has been that about 4 inches is normally added to chest measurements for a jacket. Flightsuits sizing chart says to compare one's measurements with
their chart and that they add extra fabric, but they don't say how much.
bfrench
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by bfrench »

Indyjim wrote:Thanks Nevada. I normally take a 44R. Seems to work best for me. I don't want the jacket to be too big but I was concerned about sleeve length if I went down a size. Thank you, too, Mr. Jones. I already checked on that clearance jacket. The length is only 23" and I think that would be too short.
Also, the chest measurement she gave me was 53". Whomever that jacket
was made for must have been shaped like a barrel. My understanding has been that about 4 inches is normally added to chest measurements for a jacket. Flightsuits sizing chart says to compare one's measurements with
their chart and that they add extra fabric, but they don't say how much.
Hi, IndyJim,

Going by FS M-433a and their A-2 in a size 46 they allow approximately 4" to 5" to the chest size.

If your chest is 46" divide by 2 and add 4"

46/2 + 4 = 27"

My size 46 M-422a is 27 1/2" when zipped up and laid flat and measured just under the armpits.

The 47 A-2 is a little larger and measures 28".

This will allow for a heavy sweater underneath.

I am a size 48" chest and the jacket will allow a tee shirt and a heavy shirt - a heavy sweater makes me look like a Michelin man

Hope this helps.

Bill French
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

No pics yet. I should get around to it though, since most of my stuff is brand new. New Flightsuit, new AB, new Aldens.....

This little club is quite expensive not to mention addictive!

Nevada
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

bfrench, your chest size is 48" and your jacket is a size 46, and that still gives you room underneath.
Measuring the way you have, 27.5 inches across the front would of course be the same on both sides for a total
circumference of 55" Of course it would be slightly smaller on the inside of the jacket. But I don't want this jacket to be too large.
I want this one to be a closer fit.
I guess my best course of action here is simply to try one, see how it fits and if it doesn't, make modifications where necessary.

I just measured one of my Wings jackets. Seam to seam under the arms is 24.5".
That would be a total of 49 inches for a Large size jacket.

Does anyone else out there have a 42R or 44R off-the-rack Flightsuits that
can give me the measurements, seam to seam under the arms and also sleeve length? Thanks!