The Least Expensive Indy Fedoras

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

The Least Expensive Indy Fedoras

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Since this topic has been touched upon in another thread here, I want to pose the question for the sake of new fans, or folks wanting a very inexpensive Indy fedora. Most people take $100 as the mark for an "inexpensive" fedora, but if someone's budget is even tighter than that, what options are there? We can all agree that the Akubra Standard Federation is an excellent hat for the money, well built and a good looking Indy fedora. HOWEVER, I'm interested in your opinions on OTHER options. I don't want this to turn into a "well you should save up the money and buy THIS hat instead" thread, so shoo that from your thoughts. Rather, what are some good options for under $80, $70, or even $50? They can be wool or fur felt. I want to know why you chose a certain hat as well as the pros and cons. But again, I don't want this to become a "don't buy this hat" argument; I want to equally know why the hat would be a GOOD choice for the money. Are you guys up to the challenge?

bink
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Well, like you said Bink the Akubra Federation regular may be a little much for some people's tight budgets, but if someone is gonna spend $70 or $80 then a person may be wise if they save $20 or $30 more. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to sell one but let me explain.

Around last November my dad was looking for a new fedora. I'd been lurking around here for a few months and showed him the Federation. To make a long story short he got one. It cost him about $135 but he paid a little extra so he could he it fairly quick.

As for the hat itself, well its one nearly bomb proof hat. It came stiff, but has since softened up nicely. The workmanship is excellent, like all Akubra hats. No doubt its a great value for the money. The standard Fed is a hat that will last for years.

It comes open crown, but it was very easy to bash. In fact it was the first hat I bashed. I was able to get the raiders look pretty easily. It honestly has a better profile than my AB which I also bashed myself.

My only complaint is that it has a slight taper for the bottom to the top of the crown; it was like that out of the box.

So if your looking to spend around $100 then the Akubra is something to look at. :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Very good points, J_Weaver, but I'm interested in other hats for the sake of this discussion. In the other thread, many folks kept saying "Just save up the extra pennies and get THIS hat." I would rate the Akubra Federation standard as being the top of this particular list, but, as you said, your dad ended up paying $135 for the hat. At that point, some will start arguing to go ahead and save the extra pennies for an AdventureBilt rabbit. This is counterproductive to my point.

What I'm implying is that a person CAN'T save up the extra pennies for an Akubra. Let's say I only have 50 bucks to spend on a hat, PERIOD. Not a penny more. What are my options then? An Akubra Federation Standard at this point is out of the running.

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The problem we're seeing in this hobby is the scale is sliding upwards. The Miller used to be the top end price wise, and is well over a hundred bills now. About the only 'Indy' like versions we have to refer to in the area of discussion are the Dorfmans, the Akubra Fed, and the few 'wannbes' that come and go, such as Broner and the like. There's not a whole lot to choose from below that magic 'century' mark these days but the ones already mentioned. Regards. Michaelson :-k
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Okay, to try and clarify this up just a bit, no hat suggestion can be above $100, including taxes and shipping. In fact, I'm more interested in the hats under the $70 and $50 price range. This thread is dedicated to the REAL Indys on a budget! :wink:

bink
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Oops, I just read your comment after I sent my last post, Michaelson. This is good info to know, but I really am interested in discovering whether there ARE any options below the Akubra line. Even if they ARE wool hats! If I'm an Indy fan who wants a "decent" hat for my Indy Holloween costume, I likely want a cheap hat that looks good, even if I seldom wear the hat. I might not want to pay a hundred bucks for a one time fedora.

I guess I would say that thrift stores, antique shops, and eBay are all viable options, though it takes some looking and patience. I mean, heck, I found a great hat for FOUR BUCKS which wasa turned into a pretty good Indy hat! :wink:

bink
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

bink,
I think the options are limited in the under $70 range. Now, I have seen some hats that looked great come up in that range; just ask Dalexs about his Burling Coat Factory Hat, which I think he paid $15 for. That hat locked awesome after he styled it, but those hats came and went. I don't think they are being offered again.

One would have to search TJ Max and Marshall's. Perhaps random hat shops like Philadelphia's "Hats in the Belfry" just to see if something has come in that is close.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Now Hemingway, that's the kind of info I'm after, too. I do remember those Burlington Coat Factory hats. I believe they were Tonaks. And any hat that can be ALTERED into a good Indy fedora counts! I did a quick Google search and you are, indeed, hard pressed to find much under 70 bucks, but I found wool "official licensed" Indy hats for $42 and $48 and felt versions for $88 and $100. Now the point is NOT to argue whether they are necessarily junk hats, but to offer them as suggestions to those who are just getting into the hobby and can't spend much. The $15 Tonak which was rebashed nto more of an Indy hat is a prime example of what I'm talking about, too.

bink
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I think that one of the problems with hats under $100 dollars is that they come and go. If a person is really looking for a hat under $100 then I think they may have to spend some time searching local stores.

Here's a Cabelas hat. It would probably make a pretty decent ToD or maybe LC hat with a little work. A new ribbon would do wonders for it. :)
Cabelas Backlander

The Backlander is a pretty good example of most of the sub $100 dollar hats out there. I'm afraid that if a person really wants a Raiders hat its gonna cost them at least $100 :(
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

binkmeisterRick wrote:Now Hemingway, that's the kind of info I'm after, too... ...The $15 Tonak which was rebashed nto more of an Indy hat is a prime example of what I'm talking about, too.

bink
Thanks, bink. Perhaps Dalexs will be kind enough to post a pic of his. I saw it at "Joe's Stock" and I was very impressed.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good point. Heck, bink, let's face it, you found me a vintage Borsalino that's absolutely one of my favorites, and it only cost us $35! The REALLY good stuff is out there, but it's usually in those little out of the way places that folks don't think of looking. Good for us...right? (grins) :wink: Regards! Michaelson
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Have you thought that even though its more waste to buy a cheap hat and then the expensive one, a lot of us have made it that way, at least i first bought the disney one, went on adventures fell in love with it, oh those were the days I was young and naive...well now im still young but thats not the point, what i mean is that those "cheap" fedoras have been a part of our indy fan life for a lot of us, so they deserve some credit too. :wink: :roll:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. I wore out 3 Stetson TofD and one Broner (all fur felt, by the way) before I moved up to the Miller, and on from there.

I also stated in more than one post at Indyfan (and the old timers can back me on this!) catagorically that the day would NEVER come that I'd EVER consider owning and/or wearing a hat that cost me in the neighborhood of $200, as it would break my heart to lose one in a windstorm. I now own more than one!! #-o

Man, have times changed!!! NEVER say never!! :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Wed May 18, 2005 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Weaver, the Cabelas hat counts, too! I figure if it can be a "close enough" for someone, it's in the running. But it seems to be true that if your criteria says it HAS to be 100% screen acurate, then the liklihood is that you'll have to spend more money for a hat, or be diligent and patient when searching off the beaten path. We spend so much time time talking about AdventureBilts, Akubras, Optimos, Peters Brothers, Camptowns, and more, that we tend to forget that some can't make it there yet. This is tough thinking, ain't it, folks? And Michaelson, I've been on the hunt for another Borsalino like that (in MY size) ever since, and am STILL looking! :wink:

bink
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Michaelson wrote:...and one Broner (all fur felt, by the way) before I moved up to the Miller, and on from there. Regards! Michaelson
What is this Broner? I've never heard of it. And, personally, I think the Indiana Miller is a very under rated hat. Indiana Fist has one and I think it is very nice.

EDIT: I found a bit on the Broner here But I would still like to know where they are sold, how much, and if anyone has a picture that would be great.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

As I recall, they are still made in Pennsylvania, and were the substitute felt fedoras that U. S. Cavalry offered when they finally ran out of the Steton TofD inventory. That's how I got mine, and that was back in 1986. The price then was about $85. They kind of remind you of Bailey hats in terms of construction and materials. Regards! Michaelson
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Hey guys i paid $20 my stetson hat LOL

Speaking seriously.. as soon as possible i will buy an AB
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That looks like a GREAT buy for 20 bucks, erri_wan! It's nothing to laugh at, either. It just shows you that you can, indeed, find good hats for little money if you look hard enough. And whether or not you get an AB or any other fedora, your Stetson looks like a fine hat and one still worth wearing. Don't get rid of it! :wink: Where did you find this hat? Was it an eBay find, or did you get it elsewhere?

bink
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Thanks, bink. Perhaps Dalexs will be kind enough to post a pic of his.
I saw it at "Joe's Stock" and I was very impressed.
Ah yes, the Burlington Coat Factory Hat (seen on the left)
This is it when i first bought after a little restyle next to my fed. I paid 12 bucks for that.

And all the way on the right after a new ribbon and a bit of a reblock.
In comparison to a bunch of Feds and maybe a keppler.

Whenever I'm near a BCF I look. But I've yet to find anymore that I think are worth working on.
And the sizes & colors are all over the place.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

stetson

Post by BendingOak »

erri-wan,can you post a pic from the frount.
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

That's a nice pic, nice comparison. 8)
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

I paid 15 Euro for my fed, wich I believe is whool felt, but I could be mistaken. Anyhow, it has never tapered me, it has this dark chocolate colour, and I think with a rebash, it wil be like the raiders hat anyhow. But still, I'm looking forward to an adventurebild ;)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

We have to do another "Joe's Stock" sometime soon.
Last edited by Renderking Fisk on Thu May 19, 2005 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Ren,
That was a good pic of us. Geeze, I was so much thinner then. :oops: I am amazed at how good Dalexs' BCF hat looks in comparison to much more expensive hats. Also, Webley's DP has a cool SOC look to it in that pic. The brim is doing something very interesting. And Skip has a vintage hat he scored on eBay that he modified some.

We do need a New England summit. I think some of our Mid-Atlantic friends like Guybrush would join us. :wink: :D
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

US Wings has an "Indiana Jones style" fedora, under $58 including shipping.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Dalex, that's exactly what I'm talking about! I think it's a great find and a fantastic choice for very little money. And it's also nice to see it worn in comparison to other Indy fedoras. Well done! :wink:

bink
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: stetson

Post by Erri »

jpenman wrote:erri-wan,can you post a pic from the frount.
Front eh... look at this... i will take others soon

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Now THAT'S a nice looking fedora, my friend!! :tup: High regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No kiddin,' erri_wan, you've got a great looking hat! :wink:

bink
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Michaelson wrote:Now THAT'S a nice looking fedora, my friend!! :tup: High regards! Michaelson
Other pics soon :wink: and thanks for all your compliments guys :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Here other pics just taken

I'm glad you appreciate it :wink: thanks again
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Thanks for sharing erri wan.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

No problem :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:shock: you really abused of your hat!
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

I'm liking this thread a lot... There really needs to be some entry level options for people on a true budget. It's not fair to be so elitist toward those who really have the spirit. A year or two back, I was in no position to buy one of these top end hats, or even a low end hat, though now I am. I have an Adventurebilt, but I still wear my Robert Hall and even the old wool Tilly on occassion.

I'd have recommended the wool Tilly, but I don't think they're offered anymore. I got it at R 'n' R Outfitters for $50. I even trimmed the brim and re-steamed a more Indy bash and pinch into it. Tilly may not carry them anymore, but R 'n' R may have old stock sitting around.

Good thread, Bink!
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Actually, the Robert Hall is a dang nice fedora, a nice dress hat for $60 (goes with my suit much better than the Adventurebilt does), though it's Indy-esque in colour only.

You can get some good low-budget hats at Edie's Hats in Vancouver. I'll find you the website soonish.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Snakewhip_Sable wrote:Actually, the Robert Hall is a dang nice fedora, a nice dress hat for $60 (goes with my suit much better than the Adventurebilt does), though it's Indy-esque in colour only.

You can get some good low-budget hats at Edie's Hats in Vancouver. I'll find you the website soonish.

What about pics of your hat? :shock: :shock: :shock:
webley420
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by webley420 »

For me I can sum it up in one word E-bay. I scored big time when payed 50$ for the beautiful Miller I have on my head now.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Wow, Indiana_Tone, that's one heck of a hat! :shock: What I like about it is that it looks like you've worn it on many adventures! It's a well used hat, even if it is wool! And yes, as stated before, wool hats are in the running for the sake of budget.

And Snakewhip, I agree, there do need to be some options for the true budget minded. I think it's easy for us to be blind to our "elitist" favourites once we start affording the higher priced hats. Even I forget where I started from once in a while.

Good to see you again, Webley! It's been a while! eBay appears to be one of the easiest places to find good budget hats AND inexspensive quality hats, even though you have to keep your eyes peeled and hope you're not outbid. Oh, the thrill of the chase! :lol:

bink
webley420
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by webley420 »

Ya the thing with E-bay is you have to keep looking and looking and looking and that can get to be a pane in the butt but sometimes you get lucky.
DanoSaurus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DanoSaurus »

How about the Jaxon Iconoclast at Village Hat Shop?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product1830.html

Not exactly screen acurate with that teardrop crown and lighter brown color, but only $48 (sale price?) for a fur felt lid. They also have the official lids for $88 (fur) and $42 (wool).
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Thats actually not a bad looking hat for the price. I don't even mind the teardrop crown. And the Color is not that bad either. It is probably darker then it apears in the photo.

I suspect it might be a bit lightweight in the felt, but not bad overall.

If you go to the link, you'll see that the hat is now priced at less then half the original cost.
Maybe they're reading this thread...
Someone should buy one andgive us a report.

Dalexs
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

The best route ive found so far is to get a Akubra snowy river and send it to steve. Really good deal. And a really nice hat. Very rugged. And dont forget vintage. Every once and a while if you are lucky you can pick up a nice vintage hat at a good price. In regards to the NewEngland summit, Ive been trying to organize one for the opening of Templars.
Regards,
Adam
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Indiana_Tone wrote: When you look at the fedoras as a whole, you automatically start comparing them against each other to see which of them look "Indy"; but when you look at each man individually, you begin to notice that each fedora suits its wearer perfectly!

Making it your own seems to be the key.
BINGO! That is so true. I think you can take the same exact hat and it will look different from wearer to wearer. I get Indy comments about my AB, but more so do I recieive compliments on how nice the hat is and that it looks good on me. If it didn't look good on me, I doubt I'd wear it!

And that Jaxon Iconoclast does look like a pretty good hat for the money. Another good find! :wink:

bink
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

DanoSaurus wrote:How about the Jaxon Iconoclast at Village Hat Shop?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product1830.html

Not exactly screen acurate with that teardrop crown and lighter brown color, but only $48 (sale price?) for a fur felt lid. They also have the official lids for $88 (fur) and $42 (wool).
Wow, that looks alot like a Disney/Dorfman to me!
I think, for me, that the Dorfmans are pretty good fedoras. Not screen-accurate, but for the 'average' fan, $30 for a fedora isn't bad. I do like alot of the ones I'e seen in this topic however.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I'm really liking the finds you guys are coming up with for this thread. It's actualy exceeded my expectations! Keep up the good work, and let's see if we can find more! :wink:

bink
webley420
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by webley420 »

Heres a pick of good old Webley in his 50$ Miller from E-bay.
Oh ya I got the leather bomber jacket in that photo for 11$ also on E-bay.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

webley420 wrote:I got the leather bomber jacket in that photo for 11$ also on E-bay.

11$ FOR THAT LEATHER JACKET????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Now THAT'S a well worn hat, Webley!!!! :wink:

bink
webley420
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by webley420 »

erri_wan wrote:
webley420 wrote:I got the leather bomber jacket in that photo for 11$ also on E-bay.

11$ FOR THAT LEATHER JACKET????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The jacket is just a tad too small and the inner liner is cut out.
binkmeisterRick wrote:Now THAT'S a well worn hat, Webley!!!! :wink:

bink
And a well loved one to.