Aged, Distressed, or Abused?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Lost in the Temple of Doom 'cause I went right instead of left!!!

Aged, Distressed, or Abused?

Post by ij1936 »

I thought to ponder: Given the extracurricular activities of "our hero", would it be fair to say that his ensemble is abused more than aged or distressed? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Whew!

Post by Michaelson »

After reading the subject title, I thought you were asking about Indiana Jess! #-o :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I would say Indy's gear is more abused than anything else. I wonder if he has anything long enough to age or distress!
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

The ToD and very especially the TLC jackets look more abused than aged. The Raiders jacket looks more aged and worn to me. The effect achieved by the acetone distressing.

-R
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Re: Whew!

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Michaelson wrote:After reading the subject title, I thought you were asking about Indiana Jess! #-o :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Right, that would have been 'all of the above'. There would have to be an option for that in the 'What Is Up With Jess?' poll. ;)
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Hey now ... you guys are starting to distress me with all this abuse! You just shouldn't do that to someone my age ... wait ... #-o
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Hey now... I happen to like Jess. You leave him alone. He stood up for me once...

Some one said that I wasn't worth a bag of dirt, and he replied: "Oh yes he is!"

So he's alright in my book. Besides... I don't think anyone's taken sandpaper and acetone to his hide yet.

***Edited for pronoun confusion***
Last edited by Renderking Fisk on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Renderking Fisk wrote:Hey now... I happen to like Jess. You leave me alone. He stood up for me once...

Some one said that I wasn't worth a bag of dirt, and he replied: "Oh yes he is!"

So he's alright in my book...
That's right Ren and I still stand by those words! :-k :wink:
Renderking Fisk wrote: ... Besides... I don't think anyone's taken sandpaper and acetone to his hide yet.
#-o I hope that doesn't give Michaelson any ideas.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Jess, I promise I won't use the belt sander...on your seams. :D

Back on topic ( :shock: ), I get the feeling his stuff is 'abused' for the most part, but that's taken a long time to do, which accounts for more 'even-ness' to it. Like natural distressing, but not by a couch potato. More like natural distressing for a guy who falls down a lot.

So, yeah, the individual events are more like 'abuse', but over a long time period, so it's got a naturally distressed quality.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Jess, I promise I won't use the belt sander...on your seams. :D
Yeah, like I haven't heard that one before ...
Starman Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Starman Jones »

According to the costume person on the DVD extras, all 10 jackets were brushed with a wire brush for the initial distressed look. I presume additional "distressing" was accumulated as the movie was shot. No mention of using acetone to create a "look" was mentioned.

Starman Jones
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

Probably more a combination of all 3.. Tending to go more for self abuse...