Bow tie questions (Something new to talk about)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

What's your bow tie experience? (Guys & Girls)

Just clip it on! (Clip On)
25%
Hands off! I can do it myself (Tie On)
53%
Could you give me a hand? (Sombody Else Does It)
22%

Total votes: 32

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Bow tie questions (Something new to talk about)

Post by Pyroxene »

I was just wondering who here know how to tie a bow tie? (I learned from a website.)

Who wears a bow tie (clip-on or otherwise)?

Where can one get a brown bow tie like Indy's?

Are there any ladies who know how to tie a bow tie (Rare, but they are out there.)?

Feel free to contribute as much as you like.

Last edited by Pyroxene on Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Bow tie questions (Something new to talk about)

Post by Rixter »

I've concluded that wearing a bow tie, other than at weddings and formal occassions, has the effect of tagging you as having politicaly conservative leanings.

As far as clip ons, it's been said that REAL men (ladies) tie their own ties. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

I used to

Post by Michaelson »

Old tie on bow ties enjoyed a ressurgence back in the early 1970's, and I was taught by a young lady at a fashionable men's shop how to tie one in Columbus, Ohio, while attending college there. It takes pretty good dexterity to do, let alone to LOOK right, as mine tied ok, but I usually didn't make it tight enough the first round, or it sat sideways after tying. After a bit of practice, I got to be a pretty fair hand at it, but as with all things, it fell back out of favor with the younger crowd just a few years after it began, and I haven't worn one since. I recently found a real nice one in an antique store and tried putting it on. The brain remembered the process, but the fingers, I'm afraid, were not cooperative, so it got left on the tie rack where I found it. Only $3 too! :cry: Regards. Michaelson
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I only wear a bowtie with my dinner dress uniform or my tuxedo. As for which method of wear I use, I have been tying my own bowties for years. It was, and still is, a skill that I felt all gentlemen should learn to do. Just my thoughts.

Mike
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Pyr,

Do you recall which web site that was. I'm always willing to learn new techniques if there are any.

I do have a lot of string ties and bola's just to prove what kind of unsophisticated guy I really can be, although I have rarely worn them in recent years. I recall the last time being at a Halloween party square dance in a real barn. It's amazing what some gals can get you to do. :roll:
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Rixter,

I hear you.

I like this site because of the two colored tie so you can see which end is where. http://www.bowtieclub.com/html/BowTieBTI.html
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

I only wear a bowtie with my dinner dress uniform or my tuxedo. As for which method of wear I use, I have been tying my own bowties for years. It was, and still is, a skill that I felt all gentlemen should learn to do. Just my thoughts.
Agreed, I only wear one with my tux, a very spiffy, black 6 over 3 and I never wear one that is pretied.

Illinois
Fiddler_Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Fiddler_Jones »

I've got a black bowtie and a goofy red one for special occasions.

They're not clip-on, but they're the pre-tied kind with the strap you fit around your collar.

-Fiddler
jock123
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jock123 »

I have various bow-ties, but I haven't worn one in anger for a good few years - and since my job became tech support, I rarely wear a tie at all, as I don't want to wear a dress shirt while crawling in a floor space, and a tie with a tee-shirt looks over-done. 8)

I first wore one at school to a formal dance, and my mum taught me how to tie it. I've met quite a few girls who also know how to tie one, plus a friend's grand-dad had only one arm and still could tie one!

I recommend a "tie-it-yourself" over a clip on, because frankly I like to think it is more debonnaire [and I need all the help I can get in that department :wink:], especially when you come to loosen it. A lot of good quality ties come with a hook and eye on the strap, so that once tied you can take it off still in a bow, which is handy if you want to give your neck a rest, but for that end of the evening ambience, an opened bow-tie looks great.

Thanks for the heads-up on the web-site, Pyro; as ever, your information is impeccable!

Jock123
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I choose clip-on because I never knew how to tie a bow-tie. But I'm printing that site's instructions out. Tonight I'll try it. I have an old black bow-tie of my father's in the closet. We'll see if I can do it. Wish me luck!
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Rixter wrote:I've concluded that wearing a bow tie, other than at weddings and formal occassions, has the effect of tagging you as having politicaly conservative leanings.
In that case, I guess I better start wearing one. I get the feeling that if some folks had their way the word, "conservative," would be edited out like certain four letter words are. But I digress...

-Kyle
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Not all the time, just sometimes...
You're so right. I'm sorry. I was just being witty again. Or trying to again.

Anyway... is there anyone here who wear a bow-tie to work or out to dinner on a regular basis?
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Renderking Fisk wrote:... is there anyone here who wear a bow-tie to work or out to dinner on a regular basis?
I would imagine anyone who bartends might wear one.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Shame on those of you who wear fedoras on a regular basis and don't know how to tie a bow tie! :shock: :D

I was actually wearing a bow tie when I first read this post! ;) I was wearing a grey-pinstripe three-piece suit with a red bow tie. Does that particular combination sound familiar to anyone? No, not Pee-Wee Herman :roll: ... Last Crusade teaching gear! I wear a bow-tie about once a week teaching. I've got a great Temple of Doom bow tie which I always wear when I'm getting a bit scruffy and haven't got time to shave before going to work. Some how wearing a bow tie makes up for the bit of beard... ;)

Kind regards,
Indy
jock123
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jock123 »

Thanks RK, much appreciated... :wink:

Hey, Magnoli, sounds like you must be the neatest guy in NZ! I agree, the tie and beard combination looks good. I never understood an old joke [which I did hear when I went unshaven] along the lines of, "Q. What is the definition of futility? A. Wearing a bow-tie with a beard!"

Michael Sheard [the almost U-Boat captain in Raiders, Hitler in LC, Admiral Ozzle et al] is a bow-tie wearer, as was his alter ego on BBC TV, the dreaded Maurice Bronson on "Grange Hill". Robin Day, a long-time political commentator and interviewer, and Frank Muir, comedy writer and all-round wit [both now departed this world], also were UK TV faces with signature bow-ties on screen; Day wore polka-dot ones, and Muir's was always bright pink. I don't know if that also counts as "wearing one to work"..?
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

If anyone knows where I can find a ToD type bowtie, let me know. All the ones I find have a patteren. Indy's looks like his was a solid brown. Thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

My same old patented answer...

Post by Michaelson »

....keep your eyes open in antique stores. I've seen several in my ramblings, so you can find originals for pennies on the dollar. Regards. Michaelson
Indiana_Jonesing
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana_Jonesing »

Hey guys. Give this link a day in court:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/home_page/ ... 3665165139

To the right of the screen you'll see "How to tie a tie". Click on it and you’ll have the opportunity to view "moving" examples of several necktie knots, as well as a bow tie knotting instructional.

Good luck!

-Jonesing

And send me a heads up if anyone's search ever turns over a solid brown bow tie similar to Temple Indy's.

Cheers!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Heh. I forgot their column was called the Guy'd Lines. Pretty cool link.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

TOD Suit...

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Just got back from work and took this shot in my study:

I found the tie at a second-hand shop. It's actually a dark grey with khaki dots. It looks very vintage and matches the tweed coat perfectly! It really gives the air of a respectable professor. ;)

Kind regards,
Indy
Hugh de Latham
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Hugh de Latham »

Rixter wrote:I've concluded that wearing a bow tie, other than at weddings and formal occassions, has the effect of tagging you as having politicaly conservative leanings.

As far as clip ons, it's been said that REAL men (ladies) tie their own ties. :wink:

Archibald Cox, of Watergate fame, wore a boe tie.

A lot of East Coast types used to wear it, including a lot of the pre-Vietnam style Democrats.

I'd have to do some research, but I guess that, in the 60's, the bow tie went out of fashinon much like the fedora.

But Indy harkens back to an earlier day. When liberals were agressive, fact-oriented, and pragmetic.

And since when would Indy care how other people tagged him?
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indy That looks great! You need the glasses now
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I've noticed that a lot of other things have slowly died since the '60s and 70's... Two of my favorate vices- Drinking and Smoking.

Dinners are also on the way out. I wish we lived in the days you could go into a Dinner wearing a Fedora and a Bow tie smoking a cigerette with a flask of whiskey in your pocket to spike up the coffee just a bit.
Indiana Philip
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Philip »

Nice look Magnoli! I guess you and I are the only ones who regularly wear bowties. If they only realized that if you can tie your shoe, you can tie a bowtie, I think we would see alot more of them. It's the same knot, just a little more technique. I have about twenty bowties, and wear them for the same reason I wear Indygear...most men don't. They really lend a nice touch of class.
Most of my ties come from Beauties Ltd. in Vermont I think. I know they will custom make any kind of tie you want if you send them the material.
Indiana Philip
BTW-If you spill something on your bowtie, you know it's time to go home.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Philip wrote: BTW-If you spill something on your bowtie, you know it's time to go home.
Words to live by.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Pyroxene wrote:If anyone knows where I can find a ToD type bowtie, let me know. All the ones I find have a patteren. Indy's looks like his was a solid brown. Thanks.
Actually Indy's tie in TOD has a pattern. The tie is charcoal gray with little green checks. There is a shot in the 1985 Indiana Jones calendar. Unfortunately my calendar is at Indiana Dan's in San Diego because I am planning on giving it to Lee Keppler. Maybe I'll get it back and scan the picture before I give it away. Cheers
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Rundquist wrote: Actually Indy's tie in TOD has a pattern. The tie is charcoal gray with little green checks. There is a shot in the 1985 Indiana Jones calendar. Unfortunately my calendar is at Indiana Dan's in San Diego because I am planning on giving it to Lee Keppler. Maybe I'll get it back and scan the picture before I give it away. Cheers
Thanks for the tip. A pic would be great! Thanks, Rundquist.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I believe Indiana Dan got his tie from Wal-mart and he said it was a great match (and he's a perfectionist to boot).
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:I believe Indiana Dan got his tie from Wal-mart and he said it was a great match (and he's a perfectionist to boot).
He got his bow tie from wal-mart? Or, was it the LC tie? Wal-Mart has great solid black LC ties.

"Indy-Mart! Rolling back gear prices!"
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Nope it definitely wasn't the black tie. I'm 99% sure that it was the Raiders end scene on the steps tie. A while back (I can't find the post anymore) Rob DFW had posted some closeups of that scene with good shots of the tie. I remember Dan telling me he found one just like it at Wal-mart. Dan is in the New England area as we speak and told me last night that he'll contact me when he returns; so if I can remember, I'll ask him about it for confirmation.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:I'm 99% sure that it was the Raiders end scene on the steps tie.
I can see that. WM has a good assortment of generic traditional neckties.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

That is a great pic! Thanks!

Pyr
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Hey! Wait a minute. I thought he shaved before dinner. I remember him saying, "Shorty where's my razor?"
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Pyroxene wrote:Hey! Wait a minute. I thought he shaved before dinner. I remember him saying, "Shorty where's my razor?"
I always thought the way he asked it was that he couldn't find it. It seemed like it was almost a frustration as much as a question. And not being able to find it, he then went to dinner with his trademark scruff.

Mike
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Haaaaaaa. :idea: .....good answer.
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

Didn't Indy wear a red and blue regular tie rather than a bowtie in the end of Raiders?
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Pyroxene wrote:Hey! Wait a minute. I thought he shaved before dinner. I remember him saying, "Shorty where's my razor?"
I always figured that they inserted that little blurb so they could keep indy scruffy. The rest of the movie seems to take place in the next 24 hours (I think) and it just wouldn't do to have a clean shaven Indy kicking Thuggee- butt!
PBG
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Thanks for turning the light on Image for me.

Cheers,
Pyro.
Indiana Philip
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Philip »

That's a great screen grab of Indy's bowtie, but I'm not sure of exactly what I'm seeing. On my monitor screen I see a dark gray, almost black tie with a repeating pattern of tiny, greenish, circular flowerlike designs.
Is that what you see?
Indiana Philip
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Philip,
That is what I see as well. Mr. Chamoro, I'm curious as to the selection of the Filgree pattern from the bow tie club?

-S
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Sergei wrote:Mr. Chamoro, I'm curious as to the selection of the Filgree pattern from the bow tie club?

-S
Ha! You lost me there.