Go speed lacer

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Go speed lacer

Post by schwammy »

I busted one of the metal things you wrap your shoelace around on my Aldens. Knew it was going to happen eventually. Anyone else done this? What courses of action, besides suicide, are available to me at this point?
IndyNorth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndyNorth »

surprised no one's offered thoughts on this..

I'm sure that Alden will have some options though. I think that most quality shoe repair shops can fix 'em up.

Good luck.

north
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Well

Post by Michaelson »

No responses because in my memory, you're the first this has happened to. Can't add much more than the above....a good shoe repair shop deals with this on a daily basis if they repair work boots. Same part. Regards. Michaelson
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

schwammy wrote:I busted one of the metal things you wrap your shoelace around on my Aldens. Knew it was going to happen eventually. Anyone else done this? What courses of action, besides suicide, are available to me at this point?
I must say that would make an interesting read:

Dear all

No I can no longer go on. With the loss of one of those little metal thingies for the laces on my aldens I feel I have alos lost a part of myself, a part of my soul. It has all become to much to bear.

Goodbye cruel world!

;)
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Yup, I'm afraid Michaelson is right, this is something even a roll or two of duct tape can't repair. <sigh>

I'm afraid it calls for a trip to the shoe doctor.

G' Luck.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

I genuinely cannot believe I am the only person who ever broke one of those speed lacers! Incredible. Another first! Oh well. I actually stilll wear the shoes. I just skip that row when I lace both shoes. Since it's right ont the bend of the foot, it actually makes the shoes more comfortable and flexible. Huh!
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

When I bought mine, the speed lacers were bent. The salesman had to pry them up with a pair of pliers. He said that this is a common occurance with these hooks and to be careful not to step on your shoes as that would bend them. Constant bending and unbending fatigues the metal and eventually they will snap. I'm waiting for this to happen to me because I've had to make "corrections" from time to time with everyday use. Hasn't happened yet ... knock on wood.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Chamorro,

I'm looking at a pair of Aldens and a Carolina alternative.

However, I just wanted to say that I've had a pair of non-Indy Timberlands that have had the metal Speed Lacers bend from time to time. Anyway, I've had to use pliers to get them back.

My point is that, since I've worn these boots to H-E-double-hockey-sticks and back over the past 3 1/2 years, I can pretty much expect the metal to give way pretty soon.

So, I'll have to decide between the special order brown Alden 405's or the less expensive newly manufactured (now-brown-per-Captain D) Carolina 164's.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

I broke off a speed lacer on my Aldens last year. I took the boots to a Alden shoe store in Atlanta and the cobbler put a new lacer on. Any good shoe repair should be able to do it, though.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Cool. 'Cause the same week that happened, the sleeve on my Noel Howard shirt ripped. I guess I'll convert it to a short-sleeve shirt. Between the torn shirt, the busted lacer, my hat being in Texas, and having sold my whip, I'm about the most gear-less gearhead I know right now!