It's Here! My Adventurebilt Hat! Updated 12/11/04

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

It's Here! My Adventurebilt Hat! Updated 12/11/04

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Updated Photos 12-11-04
I would like to share with you all how happy I am that I have received my Adventurebilt hat! It was absolutely worth the wait. I am so impressed I am nearly beyond words, but those of you who know me know that I am never beyond words!

When my roommate told me it was here I could barely believe it. It was only a few days ago that Fedora posted pictures. How could it be here so fast? I raced home and there it was: a big white box. And what did I find inside? Another white box, smaller, this time, and the hat was inside.

http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/gear/front.html (NEW)
http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/gear/side.html
http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/ ... t0617.html
http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/ ... ebilt.html

Immediately I was struck with how great the bash looked. I didn't give myself time to contemplate it, but stuck it quickly on my head. I was afraid it might not fit. I was so casual when I ordered it. I said something along the lines of:

Fedora please make me a SOC (Streets of Cairo) Hat, Beaver, turned (Obviously or it wouldn't be a SOC!) size 59mm in an Akubra.

I got a PM back saying something like:
"OK. I know exactly what you want."

I sent another PM to be sure. I am annoying that way. I said, if you have any questions, please call, email, or PM.

Well, I was certainly in good hands. No exaggeration: this hat is exactly what I was hoping for, exactly.

I am not qualified to review this hat. Some one like Marc or Rick5150 would be much better, but please allow me an indulgence to offer what I think.

The bash is perfect. Nothing more needs to be said there. The pictures do not do it juctice, but the bash is perfect, perfect.

The felt is soft as anything I've ever felt, so soft, it almost feels wet. It has the feeling of a fine dress hat without the prissiness. It is both luxorious and tough, perfectly suited for a battered leather jacket or the finest suit. It is truly a marvel. It holds the bash like a struck coin and touching it is like stroking a woman's cheek for the first time. It is amazing.

The Sweatband is sewed in with exacting precision and it is the Sweatband I have ever seen. I challenge anyone to produce one finer. It is of a wondrous leather, it has a beautiful black edge, and a ring of gold around it. Written on it, in gold script is Fedora's monicker. I'll save exactly what it says. Some of these things we must discover for ourselves.

My initials were added; once again in a manner that should be seen to be appreciated.

I will also omit any great detail with the crest. It is beautiful, almost magical. And the liner looks like the inside of a royal jewelry box: white satiny material, perfectly sewn.

http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/gear/liner.html

The bow is also unique and fine. And the ribbon is dark dark brown; just perfect!

http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/gear/bow.html

The brim is awesome. It is the perfect dimensional cut. Those of you who found the Akubras a bit off will be pleased.

Here is the Akubra Federation (reg.), The Adventurebilt, and the Indiana Miller side by side:
http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/ ... rison.html (NEW)
http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/ ... ison2.html
(NEW)
I cannot say enough about how happy I am. Thank you so much, Fedora. I hope one day to meet you and shake your hand. What a marvelous product. This goes far beyond anything typical or mass-produced. It's like having a suit custom-made or your personal set of china. There is a finery and attention to detail in this hat you simply cannot find elsewhere.

Thank you so much, Fedora! I cannot praise your work enough.

-I welcome questions, comments.

http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/ ... lor_2.html
Last edited by Hemingway Jones on Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:04 am, edited 10 times in total.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Hemmingway,

Wow, awesome lid my man! It's pure Indy! 'Grats, I'm envious :wink:

Questions: How tall is the crown? How long is the brim on the front/back/sides?

Enjoy your lid man, your wait is finally over :D

Regards,
Strider
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

It is truly a marvel. It holds the bash like a struck coin and touching it is like stroking a woman's cheek for the first time. It is amazing.
Truly, if ever anything ever sold me on wanting a particular hat, that phrase was it!

Hearty congratulations on your new lid Hemingway! She's a real...beaut!!!!! :shock: =P~ :notworthy: :D

Thanks for the great review.

Regards,

Al
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

That hat really looks impressive; especially the profile pic! Definitely a treasure! :D
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Great pics, Hemingway. That's truly a beautiful hat you have there. After seeing those pictures, I'm anxious to receive mine when the time comes.

Again, my compliments on your new lid, and to Fedora. :wink:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Beautiful stuff! I guess that eliminates any second thoughts Adventurebilt customers in spe might have had... Hats off to Fedora!
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Looks goooood on ya, man! Warms a feller's heart. Excellent work, Fedora! Well done!

Look how freakin' happy the man is... what can one say after that?!
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Awesome lid, Hemingway!!! I love that bash! Fedora is a hat artisan of the highest caliber. Look out world, the "Official" Indy hat is here. 8)
Congrats H.J.
'Blues
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

AWESOME....Hemingway.......are we now gonna see a new and (through Adventure Bilt) improved avatar?!

..........Bruce
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Dimensions:
Strider,
It looks like it's 2 7/8" (7 1/2 mm) in front and 2 3/4" (6 1/2 mm) on the sides.
5 1/2" tall (14 mm). But I am horrible at measuring.

Thanks for the kind words, Al. Also, everyone else.

Fedora deserves huge praise. The bash is amazing. In the better pictures, do you see how deep it is!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

AWESOME....Hemingway.......are we now gonna see a new and (through Adventure Bilt) improved avatar?!
Bruce, I hadn't thought of that... Probably. Sometime in the near future! A friend here on COW made this one and hosts it for me, so I am at the mercy of his generosity.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I am so happy that you like the hat!!! These hats are completely handmade, the same way that a early 20th century hat was made by the small shops. I don't expect everyone to like em', but I do offer a money back guarantee on any hat that I make and sell. Or, I will do changes on it for ya. If the brims are too much, I can adjust that, along with the crown heights. Personally, to me, the brims on the Raiders hats look more accurate if they are 2 3/4 x 2 1/2. That was Mr. Swales's original claim to the dimensions. Then we heard another story, of 2 7/8 x 2 5/8, I think. If your head size is up to 7 3/8, I would suggest the smaller brims, but will make them anyway that you want. I made this one larger, as I thought it might fit Hemingway's face better. You guys use this as a guide to your own hat. Thanks again for the compliments!! regards, Fedora
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Dimensions:
Strider,
It looks like it's 2 7/8" (7 1/2 mm) in front and 2 3/4" (6 1/2 mm) on the sides.
5 1/2" tall (14 mm).
That's about the dimensions of my Keppler, and my friend Nick said it looked less Indy-esque than my old PB custom :shock:. I'm glad you're happy with your lid, man. Boy oh boy I can't WAIT until after Christmas! :D

Regards,
Strider
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Wow! I am droolin' here fantastic looking hat Hemingway, great work by the man himself "Fedora"... I'm already to place my order right now!!! I will wait till after the holidays so Fedora can enjoy some R&R this month :D Congratulations I'm sure many of us will experience the same awe and joy with our coming Adventurbuilts in the next few months or even days :wink: Best regards, Brett
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I just love that third pic. http://public.fotki.com/HemingwayJones/gear/side.html

Wear it proudly.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I agree with VP. Lookin' good Hemingway! Now I really can't wait to get my Adventurebilt Idol Grab, but I've also started thinking that maybe I need a Streets of Cairo version too! I also think that pic should be your new avatar.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

That is a great hat. Nice pics too. You cannot truly show the Raiders hat in all it's glory without shadows to help define it. Even the Cairo hat pictures I have seen and love have subtle shadowing around the crown that make the dents really look intense. Well done (as always) Fedora.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Thanks VP,
That looks great! I really appreciate it.
But when it comes to an avatar, which is my face to the world, I need to take one wearing something other than a T-shirt! I look like such a slob. I need to throw on some gear and take another one.
Best,
HJ
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Yeah, I thought so too.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

It looks great though. It really does. :D
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Is it beaver or blend? I can't remember.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

VP wrote:
I never said. It's Beaver. I'll have to edit the original post.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

WOW! I am kind of set back...similar to your statement (Hemingway) of not finding the right words -- that is most assuradly SOC!!! To the Max! I am in with VP...the third shot from the side really shows the hat off the best! Looks like you pulled the hat of Ford's head and then took a quick pic before giving it back to him so he continue shooting Raiders -- it is that good! Enjoy! W>
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hemmingway, your new fedora is stunning. That has to be the best Raiders style fedora that I've ever seen. :P

Kudos to Steve for creating such a masterpiece! :D
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

:D Excellent work ! Fedora, undoubtedly, this is the best Indy hat I've ever seen at present.
Bravo !
Regards
Anjali
PS : It will be very interesting to see some pictures of your"production" on your Website Fedora ! :wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Canyon wrote:
Hemmingway, your new fedora is stunning. That has to be the best Raiders style fedora that I've ever seen.
Thank you so much, Canyon. :D
Kudos to Steve for creating such a masterpiece!
This is the first item that I feel priviliged to own.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hemingway, my friend, that is one beautiful fedora. I know I'll be seeing mine soon enough, but seeing your on you makes me know with all certainty that the wait will have been worth it. Wear it in good health! :wink:

bink
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

VP wrote:
Quote:

I never said. It's Beaver. I'll have to edit the original post.

I'm sure its 100% beaver
:shock: :? :shock:
[/list]
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

bink wrote:
Hemingway, my friend, that is one beautiful fedora. I know I'll be seeing mine soon enough, but seeing your on you makes me know with all certainty that the wait will have been worth it. Wear it in good health!
Thank you, bink. I hope you get yours soon and when you do, please post pics! You are going to be so psyched when you get it!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Sweeeeeeeeeeet hat my friend, please tell me your going to wear this peice of art this Saturday the 11th at the TOMB, I'll be ordering my Adventurebuilt in Feb. Tell me what size is it?

Beautful hat wear it in good health.
Croft
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

We oughta start an Adventurebilt Gallery in the Scrapbook section, eh? That'd be king.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I was thinking it'd be nice to see a gallery of recipient's pics on the adventurebilt site. We all know how good Fedora's work is, but it'd be great for people who don't know who he is to see his craftmanship, and quality of material. Pix here works as well, though :D

Regards,
Strider
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Corft wrote:
Sweeeeeeeeeeet hat my friend, please tell me your going to wear this peice of art this Saturday the 11th at the TOMB, I'll be ordering my Adventurebuilt in Feb. Tell me what size is it?
Oh yes, I'll be wearing it at TOMB. I wear a 59mm in Akubra. That's all I said to Fedora and he got it perfect.

Snakewhip_Sable wrote:
We oughta start an Adventurebilt Gallery in the Scrapbook section, eh? That'd be king.
That's an excellent idea.

Can I tell you guys, I've hardly taken it off since I got it!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I wear a 59mm in Akubra
Isn't that just a little tight? :lol: :junior: -IJ
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

59 mm is 5.9 cm. That's 2.33 inches, which means that your hat size is ¾.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

59 mm is 5.9 cm. That's 2.33 inches, which means that your hat size is ¾.
So, I'm a pin-head; what can I do? :lol:
Obviously, I meant "cm." :oops: :D
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

HJ, I wouldn't say you are a pin-head, you just wear the same size fedora as an Indy action figure.
Hatman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hatman »

WoW, my computer crashed and I have'nt been online for a week!
Great to see these hats showing up, and it looks awsome!!!!
Regards,

Hatman
IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaFist »

I am so stealing that when I see you this weekend at Tomb! :lol:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Fist wrote:
I am so stealing that when I see you this weekend at Tomb!
I am definitely going to have to guard this hat. If you take it off its pedestal, beware of falling boulders!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Lang, I was hoping you would chime in at some point! Great to hear from you and I figured you were getting one when I heard that Fedora was sending one to Austria. Thanks for the compliment. Mine came bashed. Fedora is the master.

I would love to do an outdoor picture, but that's tough considering that it has been raining in Boston since the weekend. Also, I don't get home from work each night until well after dark. I'll probably have some pictures taken this weekend. A group of us are getting together in Boston.

Enjoy your new hat and post a pic once you get it.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Here are a few new pictures.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

just saw the bow picture of your lid. I know many of us here do not consider it of great importance, but I saw there was no Flying V on the bow. You know, if you take a butter knife, you can crease one into the bow very easily. I've done it many times. I just like that little extra detail on my own bows.

I think most of the hats that I have made do have the flying V. Some are more well defined than others though. You are right about the butter knife. The bows that I put on these hats can be coaxed into the flying V easily, if they are not obvious when you get them. regards, Fedora
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Hey Melty,
Thanks for the compliment about the photos.
You know, that might not be the best photo of the bow. As you said and Fedora added; it is an easy fix if I decide to make it more dramatic.