Todd's Costumes - Stateside source for HJ's?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jts1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Todd's Costumes - Stateside source for HJ's?

Post by jts1031 »

I did a search and didn't find any previous threads on this, but I just came across this website this morning.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/herbe ... fedora.htm

Is this a possible viable source for Poets now? Thoughts? Ruminations?
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

Interesting site- but I guess we won't know the quality until some of us take the plunge and order items. With any luck, perhaps this will turn out to be a good thing... :)
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I have seen that before and I hate that bash.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Todd is one of us here at COW (handle: Puppetboy). He offers some mighty good gear - I have Todd's bag strap and his adjustable whip holder, two quality products IMO. Todd and his wife are excellent people to deal with - very friendly and good service.
Some time ago, todd announced that he would import the Herbies from England and offer them for sale on his site. The picture he has on the site is awful - it's from Swaine Adeney Brigg's website and shows a fedora with the miserable "London" block. The hats Todd is importing is - if I've understood things correctly - is the "Cambridge" or "German" block, that is, the same hat Thomas sells at Indyfedora.com. I have no idea why the hats sold at Swaine in London are so poorly blocked...

http://www.swaineadeneybrigg.net/produc ... ice&page=2

http://www.indyfedora.com
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Guys (and gals)

The Herbert Johnsons are here! I have most sizes in stock. The block is pretty good - it looks the same as the ones from the German website. I have some better pictures up now, so take a look if you'd like.

The color is really nice and the felt is not as thick as I had remembered. It measures about 2mm is all. Nice fedoras.

A few COW members had pre-ordered them and they are on their way now, so in a few days some of you will also see them first-hand!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

:shock: That's more like it. I especially like the 360 degree view. http://www.toddscostumes.com/images/indy/HJ-hat.gif
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Wow. I'm drooling... =P~
jts1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jts1031 »

ARGGHHH! I had everything set to wait for Fedora to open shop and then I have to come across that website. Now the conflict is arising within. Which to do, which to do. The idea of having an actual Herbert Johnson that won't **** out of the box is very enticing...I guess I'll wait to hear some reviews of those who get their hat to see what they think...
Dakota Hurly
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dakota Hurly »

Thanks todd. Maybe a HJ is in my future. Good price. :)
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

A couple of the Raiders styles are described as "lob-sided" (I think it's spelled "lop" - Does this mean they are pinched and top bashed off center, or is the lop sidedness just steamed into the brim?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

jts1031 wrote:ARGGHHH! I had everything set to wait for Fedora to open shop and then I have to come across that website. Now the conflict is arising within. Which to do, which to do. The idea of having an actual Herbert Johnson that won't **** out of the box is very enticing...I guess I'll wait to hear some reviews of those who get their hat to see what they think...
Well, my friend, if you can wait until Fedora opens his shop and see pics of his new hats, then you'd be able to get a good comparison and better idea of what suits you. Though I wouldn't mind owning an HJ, and I'm sure they are quality hats, I am dead set on getting one of Fedora's hats. It's pure beaver and made like they hats in Indy's day. It doesn't get much better for me.

bink
jts1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jts1031 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Well, my friend, if you can wait until Fedora opens his shop and see pics of his new hats, then you'd be able to get a good comparison and better idea of what suits you. Though I wouldn't mind owning an HJ, and I'm sure they are quality hats, I am dead set on getting one of Fedora's hats. It's pure beaver and made like they hats in Indy's day. It doesn't get much better for me.

bink
I think I'm okay now. Just slightly wandered off the path of righteousness. The hard thing is waiting for Fedora to say go. I have two Peters Bros hats but the lure of having a soft, accurate hat is very inviting. And then today word comes that Peters Bros may be offering a softer version. The gods are having fun torturing me...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hang in there, my friend! If I can be this patient for a hat, anyone can be! It'll be SOOOOO worth the wait! :wink:

bink
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Bink,

I can't make that kind of decision. I am buying an HJ and an Adventurebilt 100% beaver. The HJ has been shipped and should be here this week. Now each day I will have to decide which hat to wear.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I figure if I had the money just lying around I'd be buying a ton of hats! As it is, though I've got several good fedoras I like to wear, I figure if I buy new, then I'll save my pennies for what suits me the best. Fedora's hats are more than up my alley, especially at the price. I'd love to own a PB and an HJ, but if Fedora's hats are as good as I'm sure they are, then I may have little reason to go elsewhere! :wink:

bink
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

bink,
I am with you. I am going to buy one of Fedora's for the quality of the felt and his exacting craftsmanship in the overall block and bash of the hat.

Some time later, I intend to buy an HJ for my collection, since it is the original brand. But if I had only one hat to buy, it would be from Fedora.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Bink,

I am getting an Adventurebilt because it is 100% beaver. But, I have to have an HJ because it was the original brand of hat. Two different reasons here.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No problem by me, Bufflehead. In fact, I'd probably do the same if I could afford to do so. :wink: I figure I might be able to get away with buying one or two new hats a year if i stretch it, so since I like to buy for the quality of the hats, I'm definitely going with Fedora's 100% beaver first. I may end up wanting an HJ at some point, but I also want to get another grey fedora before then, so thew HJ may be a while off for me....

bink
bandit6
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bandit6 »

I have nothing but great things to say about Todd's stuff! I ordered his Indy stuff and they said they would even ship it to my apo here in Afghanistan! They also offered a thanks for service that no matter how many time I hear it, it makes me feel good about what I do. It is the little things that make my time in the sand box more endurable. So this soldier offers nothing but thanks and a tip of my kevlar.

[i]"If you can read this thank a teacher... and since it is in english thank a soldier!"[/i]
Indiana Jackson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jackson »

]"If you can read this thank a teacher... and since it is in english thank a soldier!"
bandit6, I love your signature!

& by the way...THANKS! Pass the word on to the rest of the men & women over there, that we here in the states acknowledge & appreciate what you are doing & SACRIFICING for us. Regardless of what anyone's opinion on this war or any war is, you are doing this for us, the people of the United States of America. May you always be safe & just in what you do. THANKS! I believe I can on behalf of all of us here at COW wish you a safe and expedient return and express our deepest gratitude.
:D
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Indiana Jackson wrote:
]"If you can read this thank a teacher... and since it is in english thank a soldier!"
bandit6, I love your signature!

& by the way...THANKS! Pass the word on to the rest of the men & women over there, that we here in the states acknowledge & appreciate what you are doing & SACRIFICING for us. Regardless of what anyone's opinion on this war or any war is, you are doing this for us, the people of the United States of America. May you always be safe & just in what you do. THANKS! I believe I can on behalf of all of us here at COW wish you a safe and expedient return and express our deepest gratitude.
:D
I can't improve on that or add to it, except to say 'ditto: thanks'.

Living the good life that you make secure - J
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Just to let you guys know I exchanged my original hat that I purchased from Todd for a larger one. Todd was very understanding and helpful I highly recomend him for purchasing Indy gear, thanks Todd!!!!!
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

I ordered one Todd's HJ's this weekend, I am really excited to get it - but haven't heard from Todd yet - course it is the Holiday Season and all.......

.........Bruce
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

he is pretty reliable Im sure you will hear from him.
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

bclead wrote:I ordered one Todd's HJ's this weekend, I am really excited to get it - but haven't heard from Todd yet - course it is the Holiday Season and all.......

.........Bruce
I heard from Ann at Todd's today. Apparently my Paypal transaction did not go through - I'm sure it was my screw-up! Anyway, I placed the order again and it went through so now things should be smooth sailing - what a doofus I am..........

.......Bruce