Gun comparison doubt

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Fedora_Smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Gun comparison doubt

Post by Fedora_Smith »

Hello,

I got this gun a few weeks ago, the one which looks like a S&W. Compared with the webley, I think it's a bit small (I know, the webley is a big monster :D ). I never had on my hands a Smith & Wesson hand ejector revolver, I'd like to know if a real S&W looks like this one in size. This has a 4" barrel. It's blank firing. Cal.38.

Could be this revolver a good Indy's handgun alternative?

P.S. If anybody is the proudly owner of these two guns (the webley and S&W), could post a similar pic for scale reference?

Many Thanks to all.
Last edited by Fedora_Smith on Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Nope

Post by Michaelson »

Your revolver is equal to the round butt Smith J frame, which is their small 5 shot version, or at least that's what it appears to be from this angle. If it's a 6 shot, it's then equal to the round butt K-frame, which is like the Smith model 10. The HE Smith is an N-frame, and pretty close to the same size (frame wise) as the Webley Mk. VI. That looks like a Charter Arms to me? Is it? Regards. Michaelson
Fedora_Smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedora_Smith »

Thank you Michaelson! I'm amazed with your gun knowledge!! Yes, mine it's 6 shot. It's made by a Czech Republic factory (Alfa-Proj. I think). The gun has a very good finishing, and sounds like a clock when it's armed. I'm very happy with it. :D Thanks for the frame info. My doubt is if I can hold this gun in the MBA or similar raiders holsters without the gun "dancing" inside, if the HE is a bit bigger as you say.

Regards :D
Fedora_Smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedora_Smith »

Michaelson, I've found this gun in a WWII book, is the 1917 model as you know. But I'm confused, what is the difference with the Hand Ejector which uses Indy? Apart from cut down barrel and handgrips. What refer exactly the words Hand Ejector? They are referred to the mode for "eject" the cylinder? Or may be the mode for removing the shells by pulling the extractor rod? (these are assumptions of mine).

P.S.The book says that this was the weapon of choice of General S. Patton (The M1917). His had ivory hand grips.
manobles1
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by manobles1 »

Patton did not carry this gun, at least not with Ivory grips. Patton carried a Colt .45 model 1873 and a S&W .357. These are the guns Patton carried (although rarely together). He had others, but not with Ivory.
Last edited by manobles1 on Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora_Smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedora_Smith »

I wrote here what the book says. I don't know what weapon carried General Patton. I thought was a peculiar detail.

This is the book were I read this info:

WWII Collectibles; Harry Rinker Jr. & Robert Heistand (Quantum Books).

But this is not the major object of my question. My question is about the gun itself. Anyway it is good to have several sources for contrast. And if you say that's wrong, I do not doubt of your word.

Thanks for que correction. :D
manobles1
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by manobles1 »

I understand, you are not vouching for the verasity to the book.

Hand Ejector, refers to the method of ejecting the shells. If you have an ejector rod, you eject one shell at a time. With a hand ejector, you eject all shells at once. This makes reloading much faster.
Fedora_Smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedora_Smith »

So one of my assumptions for the hand ejector was valid; I'm now more paceful by knowing what refers HE :lol:.

Many Thanks.

Michaelson: thanks too for the PM.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

No folks...

Post by Michaelson »

....I did not slip him a sleeping pill. (grins) Glad to help, my friend! Regards. Michaelson