Fuller's Earth Application / Removal

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

McFly
Scoundrel

Fuller's Earth Application / Removal

Post by McFly »

A very short time before the recent Queen Mary summit, I had asked for somebody to bring me a bit of Fuller's Earth. I'm happy to say that Dr._J brought me what was left of his 3 year old F.E., and that Andiana and I were very grateful to have dusted up our fedoras (I was also asked to dust up ITG's beautiful Keppler, and Indiana Jerry's nicely rebashed Disney). However, after having dusted up my Fed, I recieved a 14" strip of gorgeous "Black/brown" rayon Petersham ribbon. Now, if I'm to take my Akubra to a hat shop, I need to have a clean fedora first, because otherwise these people are going to clean my hat "for me" and charge me the price of a low-class, one-way ticket to Marrakesh.

So my question is this:
How do I remove the stuff? :? :lol:

I've beaten my hat, licked my fingertips and rubbed a little, rubbed with dry hands - it's all working, but only a little bit. Now, this IS a good thing - after I get my ribbon replaced, I'm going to buy some Fuller's Earth! Dr._J's stuff was a perfect sample for me, and he said he "likes to help out the kids" as much as he can - he's doing just that.

I was a little worried before paying for something I'd never seen before. Now I know... I just need to get my own, after getting my new ribbon.

In Christ,
Shane
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

How do I remove the stuff?
You let them clean your hat.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

*laughing, slaps his knee* Shucks!

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

agent5 wrote:
How do I remove the stuff?
You let them clean your hat.
:lol:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

When a hat shop cleans a hat, don't they remove the liner, ribbon and bow and then wash the hat. It would then have to be reblocked. I think that is why the big fee for cleaning the hat. If this is the case, I wouldn't want to have my hat reblocked just to put on a new ribbon.

I think the first thing that I would try is to take a damp cloth and wipe over the hat. Then I would use a crown brush or a brim brush (hat stores sell both) and brush the hat.

If that didn't work, maybe one of those hat sponges that they sell may work.

I have never used one of these, but I have seen hat shops sell a dry cleaning pad that has some kind of powder in it that you wipe on with the pad and then brush off the powder and it is supposed to clean most any material. Just some things to try, unless someone with some experience removing the stuff has a better idea.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Seriously, did you try an attachment on a vacuum? The FE is coming right off mine. Of course, I didn't get mine wet since applying it, so yours may be in a bit deeper.
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

I just 'flicked' off some of the un-wanted dust. IT came off fine (with a little rubbing with the old saliva) 8)
Qabbe
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Qabbe »

why clean the hat anyway? I like it dirty..mUAHHAHA
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'd NEVER wet the stuff. It'll turn to mud.

Vacuum is the best bet. After that, it's the hat shop.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Alright - it's all taken care of. That whole vacuum thing worked great - no trace of dust left on it - and I'm amazed how much darker my lid is looking. lol - it's more clean than it was before I put on the Fuller's!

In Christ,
Shane
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

I'm glad the vacuum worked. If it hadn't I was going to suggest that you swing on a vine away from a pack of angry Indians and into a river. Your swim out the waiting floatplane would probably do the trick! :D
PBG