My new 1928 mercury beaver Indy fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

My new 1928 mercury beaver Indy fedora

Post by Fedora »

I won't go into the story, just to say that I ran across 300 bodies, of a lot of 1200, auctioned off 15 years ago and now being sold by one of the buyers. These are a high percentage beaver blend, mostly beaver, with some nutria and mink . They were made in 1928, using mercury, and came to me as a body. I took one of the two bodies, the lighter brown of the two and just finished the hat. I took a bunch of pics that you can see on the link below. I blocked this hat a bit too tall, 6 inch open crown, and you can tell it. Just imagine it being 1/4 inch shorter. :lol: I have a 1 5/8 ribbon on it, with the brim being 2 3/4 x 2 5/8. This felt has zero stiffener, and therefore will dent with a real stiff breeze, but of course, that is the way vintage felt was made. I see this as an Indy fedora from his era, and one like he would have worn, since it is accurate to that time. I now have a new favorite hat. :D Hate to make this so short from a long winded fellow, but I am anxious to pull the other one over the block and see how the darker brown turns out. Tell me what you think of it. Fedorahttp://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/pdrm0300.html
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

too cooooool!
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Will you by any chance be making any of the hats for your online hat shop out of this lovely, beautiful, perfect felt??? If so...I'll have a bigger smile on my face when I buy the hat I intend to buy from you :D

High Regards, Daryl.
homburg
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by homburg »

Very nice hat! I like the tall crown. I am wondering what color is the ribbon? It looks black to me.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

She's a beauty!
This does beg the question, are there 298 more bodies?
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Absolutely beautiful, Fedora! :D :P
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Very nice hat! I like the tall crown. I am wondering what color is the ribbon? It looks black to me.

The ribbon is brown! :D Funny how the color of the hat, can affect the perceived color of the ribbon. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Ok, now that I can get some daylight, these are better, with a style change. I am glad Indy did not style his hat this way. But, it will show just how soft this felt is. http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/1928.html
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

That really looks nice! This hat screamsRaiders! W>
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

This felt has zero stiffener
BRAVO!!!

Looks good, man.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Holy Mackinaw!! Did you say 300 bodies? Beautiful work, Fedora.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

How much?! :lol:

Regards, Daryl.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

It might be taller, but I like it. Looks great as is!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Here it is, ala TOD. http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/tod_1928.html

Dakota there are 300 hundred of these, and I have the source. I just got a couple for myself. Indy Blues, on the price, since it is NOS, and mercury, and mostly beaver, it will be half of what the PB mercury felt is. Too expensive for most, and something to lust after. :lol: I think the only folks that would be interested are the vintage lovers, but when you can buy vintage hats on ebay, cheap, even they may not be interested. The only thing that sets these apart is the mercury factor, and the beaver factor. Most of the vintage hats on ebay are not beaver, and then when theyare, many are not true vintage. These bodies are very rare, and that is why the source is not selling these to me cheap. I will post pics of the darker brown once I get it finished. Fedora
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

That is a beautiful hat. I don't see any problem with the taller crown, either.
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

:P Vintage 1928...fantastic ! I dream !!! exactly like I love the hat ( I have pictures of jazzmen of the twenties with such hats...).Fedora, if you are able to find the god felt and produce such hats in different colours, you are going to be the best hatter on the market.
Regards
PS : The crown on the first picture is a little bit larger on the top, avoiding the "conical" effect : That's perfect !
Hatman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hatman »

personally I like the six inch open crown, maybe with the 1 3/4 " ribbon. And if that is brown in color, that's the one that I want, that ribbon looks right on to me!! That is some great looking felt.....Price????

Hatman
Hatman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hatman »

Hey Fedora, just curious, would you suggest having a hat
with no stiffener at all? Or would that be just alot of trouble?

Hatman
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey Fedora, just curious, would you suggest having a hat
with no stiffener at all? Or would that be just alot of trouble

The ideal Indy fedora has some stiffener, but not as much, as most of the current offerings. That is, if you are after the Raiders look. Some stiffener, to hold to style, but not enough to make the hat firm. The softer hats are also more comfortable to me, as they conform to your head readily. The hat above does not have enough stiffener for an Indy fedora, but this is the way most fedoras were made back in the 20's on up until about 30 years ago. Personally I like a small amount of stiffener in my hats. Fedora
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Ok, now that I can get some daylight, these are better, with a style change. I am glad Indy did not style his hat this way. But, it will show just how soft this felt is. http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/1928.html

Normally, for this period, this vintage hat has the good style for me...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Fedora, how much more would it cost to have an Adventure Bilt made out of one of these bodies?

bink
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I just finished making the Indy brown in the 1928 felt. I don't know who the old dude is wearing the hat. :lol: http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/brown_1928.html

Bink, these hats are expensive, and I don't want to give you a heart attack publically. I will pm. :lol: Fedora
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Great looking hat! Question...do you ever sleep? Good Stuff! W>
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Question...do you ever sleep?

:lol: Not when I have mercury beaver felt in the house. :wink: I worked on it until 4 am this morning, while still getting up at 7. It was worth it. :D Fedora
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

You have risen to the status of Hat Deity! Hail Fedora!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

The bash and the turn look incredible. I love the color too. And the ribbon is perfectly matched. In the photo of you wearing it, the felt looks rather thick. Is it, or is it just the way it looks in the photo?

I realize that it is very soft. Being so, is it very hard for it to hold a bash?

If this is generally what we can expect (in bash and overall look -not the same felt; obviously) from your upcoming Argentinian (or is it Argintine?) bodies, then I am even more excited than I was before!

Thanks,
HJ
Last edited by Hemingway Jones on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

This ain't the regular felt, this is special vintage felt from when high quality hats were the only kind made. Apparently, if we'd want a hat made out of this felt, we'd be spending alot....which is why I'm going with his regular felt :lol: I'm sure Fedora could answer it in better words though, since he's the hatter and all.

Regards, Daryl.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Nice! Sweet! "I've got mercury poisoning it's fatal and it don't get better!" Bring back mercury treatment for hats and lead in paint. As long as you don't eat either, no one gets hurt, and you get quality! I wish I could afford one Fedora.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Fedora wrote: Bink, these hats are expensive, and I don't want to give you a heart attack publically. I will pm. :lol: Fedora
Thanks, Fedora! I had medics standing by as I read the PM and BOY am I glad I did!!! They saved my life!!!! :shock: :wink: And after knowing what you told me I will GLADLY pay the price for one of your hats!!!! :wink:

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We need a 'fainting' smilie. Until then, the best I can offer is this one.... =P~ High HIGH regards! Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I have been experimenting with this vintage felt and just discovered it takes twice as much force, or therabouts to tear the brim trimmings in half, when compared to modern felt. There is no doubt, the old felt was so much more denser, and better felted than the new. I have also discovered that no matter how much steam you hit the hat with, it does not shrink and taper like modern felt. I think it has to do with the mercury. Don't try the excess steaming on your hat, it will need a reblock in short order. :wink: Fedora
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

Fedora, do you know how the Mercury was added to the felt? I've handled Mercury before, and I'm having trouble visualizing how this was done, and when in the process.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Why does the visual image of Fedora, sitting at his kitchen table and trying to tear a piece of felt on this 1928 material, make me smile? :D :wink: Regards. Michaelson
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Personally I think the crown height and ribbon width are right on. I think it all comes down to proportion. With a taller crown and wider ribbon that fedora looks just as Indy (if not more) as a 5 1/2 or 5 3/4 " tall corwn with a 1 1/2" wide ribbon. Gorgeous.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The mercury was mainly used in the carroting process, before it was outlawed. It was replaced with different chemicals, that worked, but not as well.

Michaelson, it is funny how I discovered this. I was on the phone talking to a fellow fan here, while sitting outside on the patio. I had a piece of the trimming lying next to me, and just grabbed it, fiddling with it. I used to check out the strength of the felt by pulling on these strips to see which felt was stronger. I must admit, I have pulled on alot of strips. :lol:

On the dimensions on the hat I am wearing in that link above. It is 5 5/8 open crown, 2 7 /8 x 2 5/8 brim, with a 1 5/8 ribbon. :D Fedora
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

fedora wrote: "I have also discovered that no matter how much steam you hit the hat with, it does not shrink and taper like modern felt. I think it has to do with the mercury. Don't try the excess steaming on your hat, it will need a reblock in short order. Fedora"

This does not surprise me in the least. While I don't think I have any hats from the 20s, the vintage one's I do have put the modern ones to shame. I have reshaped every vintage hat I've bought by first cleaning them with a foam cleaner which dampens the felt and then while they are still damp I have steamed them over a teapot and reshaped them. I have never had a vintage one shrink or taper. I have done this literally dozens of times on vintage fedora's with no problem. However my Optimo and my Akubra federations have shrunk and tapered using this same method. The Optimo looked like a dunce hat as you can well attest to since you reblocked it for me.

regards fedoralover
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Do I really NEED a new hat... :-k 8-[

Regards,

Marc
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Marc wrote:Do I really NEED a new hat... :-k 8-[
Need is such a subjective thing...ask your friends! You can't go wrong with peer-pressure. :D

"Always emotion the future is."
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Wouldn't putting something that was made using mercury on your head be a bad thing? Is the sweatband and liner enough to protect your noggin? What about handling it? Wouldn't mercury absorb into you skin?

Ah, well, as I always say, 'you've gotta die of something.'

Or am I just paranoid?
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

you're paranoid :P I think it might be like putting a mercury thermometer in you mouth, except maybe a bit safer....

Regards, Daryl.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

I actually don't understand this mercury poisoning thing....

I had a chemistry teacher in college who said that mercury is harmless and that as a demo in class some lecturers would eat it. The way i understood it, it was the chemical solvents used with the mercury to make it workable with the felt that made it toxic. The mercury itself isn't even absorbed by the human body. Then again, you can't believe everything a chemistry professor tells you.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I actually don't understand this mercury poisoning thing....
FYI,

Ingested mercury is rapidly absorbed by the intestinal tract and stored in the kidney and liver. Once absorbed, mercury is slowly eliminated in the urine, feces, saliva, sweat and milk.

Depending upon the amount of mercury ingested, the clinical signs can either be peracute, acute, or chronic. Ingestion of large amounts of mercury results in almost immediate death due to heart attack. Symptoms of acute poisoning include severe abdominal pains, vomiting and diarrhea.

Chronic mercury poisoning may be accompanied by mental disturbances due to degeneration of nerve tracts and may result in blindness, weakness, incoordination and coma.

Bottom line. Do not drink it. I once had a teacher who told us you could eat tree sap. We all laughed at him as all trees are not maple trees :wink: He brought us outside and ate some right in front of everyone. He died two days later. I am just kidding! Just becasue you can, doesn't mean you should. In the case of mercury, you shouldn't. I will not bore you more with this, but if you want more info PM me.
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Strange but true: My leading lady's ex-mother-in-law went insane from the mercury in her 40 year old fillings. They took out all her mercury fillings and replaced them with modern stuff and she gradually recovered.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Merrick wrote:Strange but true: My leading lady's ex-mother-in-law went insane from the mercury in her 40 year old fillings. They took out all her mercury fillings and replaced them with modern stuff and she gradually recovered.
Well, that might help explain Michaelson, but I'm not sure that would help Jess out much. :-k :wink:

That's where the term "mad as a hatter" came from. Since hatters used to handle so much murcury, the interaction of it slowly turned many hatters a bit looney.

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I sure hope there's no mercury being extracted from some of those coffee beans you sent me bink.....If there are....uh, oh well.... :roll: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I told you it was a "special" blend!

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

AH, now I know what you meant regarding your wife being a chemical engineer. I thought she worked at a coffee company. :-s I guess the two can work together. :-k :wink: Regards. Michaelson
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

Fedora wrote: Bink, these hats are expensive, and I don't want to give you a heart attack publically. I will pm. :lol: Fedora
Based on this I know that I could never afford to get one of these
(I'm a married man after all :lol: ), but the hat is beautiful and truely
a once in a lifetime opportunity to find a cache of these still around
just waiting for someone like Fedora to turn them into fine Indy fedoras.
Great job on the find and on the styling Fedora!

Oh...what the heck!!! I've got to know...PM me that outrageous,
unobtainable price...everyone I work with is CPR/first aid trained! :lol:
Who knows I may just be the next powerball winner! :wink:

High Regards,
Indybill
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote:AH, now I know what you meant regarding your wife being a chemical engineer. I thought she worked at a coffee company. :-s I guess the two can work together. :-k :wink: Regards. Michaelson
It's funny, because on the front door of the place is the chemical diagram for caffiene. :wink:

bink