Question: U.S. Wings Shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Question: U.S. Wings Shirt

Post by Pyroxene »

Does anyone have any info on the U.S. Wings shirt?

The picture is a little small, for me, to see any detail. I checked the shirt page and there is no mention of it there. It looks a little dark but I am sure it could be dyed. It says it's made out of a "heavy cotton twill construction". How heavy would it be? Would it soften up with much travel and wear? With the sale going on right now, the price is great.

They also say that it was patterned after the orignal WWII US Army and USAAF version. Which gets me thinking that it may be close to Indy's as much of his gear was military inspired. I am going to send off an email but wanted to see what info you all had. If this was answered in a different thread, please send me the link.

Just wondering,
Pyro
Indy_Chris
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Chris »

Pyro,

IMHO stay away from this shirt. I ordered two and returned them within 1 hour of receiving them! They are made of a really heavy uncomfortable cotton, and fit VERY snugly. Personally, I don't like shirts that are this heavy. The stitching is strong, but the cut of the two I got was inconsistent - they each fit tightly but in different areas. I ordered these prior to placing an order with Noel. I was much happier with the MBA shirts. Perhaps someone else had a better experience with these, but I was not impressed. Best, Chris
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Agreed

Post by Michaelson »

I like mine, but totally agree with the description. Another shock was after the first washing...mine shrank! It still fit in body, but the sleeves shrank almost 2 inches! My sister-in-law made it into a short sleeve shirt for me, and it's worked quite well since then. It has softened up with wear. That's what I was wearing at the QM summit (not at the dinner, but at Disneyland). If you're wanting a good, heavy military shirt, though, it's a fine choice. Just definitely order larger on this one....exactly opposite to what you have to do with Wings jackets.It's not a summer shirt, by any stretch of the imagination, but for heavy use, it does the job. Regards. Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Thanks for the heads up.
Hugh de Latham
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Hugh de Latham »

I just purchased one of these shirts, so I can't say how it may respond to washing.

However, I am puzzled by these statements that it is so heavy. I also happen to have several Orvis Bush shirts - and while the US Wings shirt is heavier than a light cotton shirt - it is much lighter than an Orvis Bush Shirt.
Hugh de Latham
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Hugh de Latham »

I just visitied the USWings site, and this is what it says about shrinkage:
Important: these are military-fit shirts, which means they run small. For a more normal fit, order one size larger. To prevent excessive shrinkage, the shirt should not be placed in a dryer. Drip-dry only.

http://www.uswings.com/khakis.html
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

I wouldn't get that shirt either. It's way too stiff. It's more like an old Navy officer shirt than an Indy shirt
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Yep

Post by Michaelson »

That 'warning' about not placing in a dryer was put on AFTER I alerted Sgt. Hack to this occuring to MY shirt. As to the heavy material statements, if comparing to other available Indy shirts, most of which are poplin or Swiss cotton, this shirt is at the other end of the scale in terms of weight, and does not compare favoribly to being a substitute Indy shirt, if looked at in that light. For durability or military type material, it's right on target. Regards. Michaelson