Coming soon, my online hat shop

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Andykev
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Here is the image

Post by Andykev »

ARK LIGHT FEDORA

You see the light in the ark in the crown of the hat!

Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

to reiterate what I already said, Fortune and Glory hatters. Still can't wait for your new hats Fedora, when are you going to start production? :junior: -IJ
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

How about a shoutout to old school computer gaming (Quest for Glory) and call it "Famous Adventurer's Hats" or something. Easily applicable to Indy :wink:
Jordan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jordan »

Great news Fedora...I'll be keeping an eye out for the launch of the website...

By the way, I'm voting for the name "Fortune and Glory Hat Company" or hattery, or whatever...I just think "Fortune and Glory" has a good ring to it...
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

(in best Short Round)

Fortune and Glory
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

BTW, what are the advantages of rabbit, what qualities/traits does it have?

It is cheaper to buy. :D I am offering this one for the folks that don't want to spend as much on a hat. The rabbit is very soft and floppy and will finish out quite well. Nothing wrong with rabbit as the regular Federation is rabbit. This hat will just be floppier, depending upon how thin you want it. I may add a blend later on, priced between the beaver and the rabbit.
Oh, I was kinda attracted to the "Fortune and Glory" as well. One of my first ideas. I am still open to suggestions though. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. :wink: Fedora
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Is Tanis a real place?
Yes, it's an ancient Egyptian city, capital of Egypt during the 22nd and 23rd Dynasties. The tomb of Shoshenq is located there...

Fedora - serious kudos for this project! If you will make size 7 1/2 hats, you'll have a future customer in me... :D
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

I was going to post the following message last night after this topic was started, but couldn't due to messages of invalid_session . Anyone know how to cure it???

Hey, Fedora, I just bought a Federation and am anxiously awaiting it. Your announcement suddenly calls me to confusion and doubt!! :wink:

(Had to get it off my chest!)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Rabbit is BETTER then some Beaver, case in point: The Stetson Temple's VS The Akubra Federation.

Steve, are you going to start charging us to restore older fedora's into Indy-Style?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Unless he's going to start working only on the new hats, he's asking 10 bucks per hat plus return shipping. Check out this thread:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8549

bink
Jhorra
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jhorra »

Another vote here for incorporating Fortune and Glory into the name somehow. Not cheesy or cartoony, but still a throwback to the origin. I really like it.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Here's another idea with the "Adventure" motif.
"Fortune and Glory" could work, too.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Dakota, such work!!! Thank you for your input and time involved. Wish I had those capabities. :D regards, Fedora
Jhorra
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jhorra »

Fedora,

If you need any help with the website and hosting let me know. I run a webhosting company, and can get you hooked up with some people to get your site up. PM me if you are interested.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Dakota, I like Fedora's Fedoras.

Adventurebilt is cute too.

What about Relic Hat Co. or Crusader Hat Co.?

What about Hovitos Hattery? (kidding)
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Here's another, maybe for an ad:
IndianaMontecristi
Vendor

Post by IndianaMontecristi »

This is a joke, for those of you who don't know my humor.

Steve, how about Gladderhatter.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

"If Adventure has a hatter is must be ... Steve Delk"

Chachapoyan Hattery
Last edited by Indiana Jess on Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Still not have decided on the company name, and I have to have this before I have the sweats printed. I have decided on the crest for the liners and those are already in the works. I hope you guys don't mind having the medallion from the Staff of Ra on the liners. In gold of course. It looks like a hatters crest and is so much cooler looking. Once I get these in, if anyone wants to buy one for their hat(they come sized to hat sizes) let me know. I figure I will ask 5 bucks a piece since they will be so Indyish and unusual and I have to buy a gross of them as that is the mimimum. I am leaning heavily toward Fortune and Glory Hats, with that being imprinted on the sweat along with Adventurebilt 10x. Any ideas for an insignia to go with the above script? Dakota, or anyone else feel free to play with photoshop and post ideas. If I were not so dumb I would do it. regards, and thanks Fedora
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Fedora wrote:I hope you guys don't mind having the medallion from the Staff of Ra on the liners. In gold of course. It looks like a hatters crest and is so much cooler looking.
Dude, that sounds cool!! Let me know when they come in and I'll buy two, one for my Akubra you just blocked and one for my LC style, converted cowboy hat, which has a ugly red liner.
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

Why don't you base the design for your logo and company name on one from a vintage hat?

You could adapt the Knox or Dobbs or Adam typeface and logo for your own. There's no danger of copyright infringement since they've been out of business for about forty years.

If you're using the Ra headpiece for the crest, why not just use it on the sweatband, too, with the "Fortune and Glory" right next to it.

And on your website, you could make the graphics look very 1930s.

Ohhh...the possibilites are endless!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Oh, Steve, if I weren't leaving for a week's vacation this weekend, I'd love to tool around on my computer and see what Ideas I could come up with for you! I tend to like Fortune and Glory as a company name, too, with the tag line Jess came up with: "If Adventure has a hatter, it must be Steve Delk."

Who knows... maybe I'll see what I can come up with in the meantime... :-k

bink
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Fedora, what will the blocks be made of?
Drhenryindianajones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Drhenryindianajones »

hi fedora im not sure of an idea for a company name or logo but a couple of months ago i was lookig through some old hat shop adverts for a project and i came across a flyer that had a guy tiping a derby and the slogan was "if you want to get ahead get a hat" well i was thinking you could adapt it and have an advert of some sort with a guy tiping a fedora and the slogan could say "if you want to get ahead get a fed" the original advert was very city getleman 1930`s style

just an idea
regards
dr
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I will tell you guys something. Might fine folks here. I have had several offers to design the webpage from folks that know what they are doing as well as setting up the site on a whatchamaycallit. I don't even know what it is called. One fellow fan is gonna start working on it soon. Thanks to everyone for the offers, and ideas.
Fedora, what will the blocks be made of?

I am not sure what sort of wood it is yet. I am supposed to call the blockmaker tomorrow before I send my custom block in to be replicated. I think alot of new blocks are made from Tupelo. I will know more tomorrow. It would be nice if poplar was used like back in the old days. And cherry for the brim flanges. regards, Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I love this one Dakota. Perfect for a webpage. Image
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I hope you get this quick question before you leave on that trip someone else here mentioned, but if not, I'll have to wait. When is this hat shop of yours going to open? I'm just so excited, I'm as giddy as a school boy. :junior: -IJ
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Fedora wrote:I am leaning heavily toward Fortune and Glory Hats, with that being imprinted on the sweat along with Adventurebilt 10x.
Aren't 100% beaver hats a 20x? I could be wrong but that's what I was thinking.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Aren't 100% beaver hats a 20x?

The x system is mostly meaningless now. Back in the early part of the 20th century, John Stetson started using the x system to denote beaver content. It started with 3x and went to 10x. 10x denoted pure beaver. I am just using the old method of noting beaver content.
hope you get this quick question before you leave on that trip someone else here mentioned, but if not, I'll have to wait. When is this hat shop of yours going to open? I'm just so excited, I'm as giddy as a school boy. -IJ

I am shooting for Fall, say September. It really depends on how long it takes to get the blocks made as I have sourced all the material needed from wholesalers. That gives me a month to pull everything together.

Rabbit is BETTER then some Beaver, case in point: The Stetson Temple's VS The Akubra Federation.

Nothing wrong with rabbit at all. Most hats are made from rabbit. To set the record straight, RK, the Temple was not beaver. :wink: Just poorly made felt. The rabbit that I can get finishes out real soft and floppy. I don't think you can beat the Akubra felt though for toughness. regards, Fedora
Last edited by Fedora on Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Thanks Fedora, with any luck I'll be one of your first customers. :junior: -IJ
Kentucky Mason
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kentucky Mason »

Hey, for what it's worth I LOVE "Fortune and Glory"

it just fits. period.

I am so excited about this I located you on a map and you're close enough to make a drive.

Can't wait till you open shop (now...how to convince the wife when I said the Akubra was the end all in Hat shopping...I've got it, you have grey right...)

All the Best
J-
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

I like FORUNE & GLORY
Maybe
F&G in a crest or wreath,something vaguley Herbie J regal looking??
Drhenryindianajones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Melty Man
Nice slogan, but "fed" is not short for "fedora" here. It is slang for a Federation lid
sorry about that i should know that by now

hmmm... maybe i shoul sell the idea to Akubra :D

Regards
Dr
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indypendant Hat Co. since you'll be having an Indy Pendant (Staff of Ra) as your symbol. Might be walking that fine legality line, but sometimes the fun is in the danger.
Kentucky Mason
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kentucky Mason »

Since you are using the headpiece as a liner perhaps you need to put the obverse text on your sweat band

(and take back one kadam to honor the Hebrew God who's ark this is)

On a side note it would be nice to have the ability to have a custom stamp in the band (our initials, COW logo etc.) but costs may be prohibiting.
IndyPip
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyPip »

Having posted on another thread that I was about to order one of the German HJs, I like many others feel torn.

My heart says buy one of each, but my wallet just laughs! However I think I will take Fedora's advice "he will be around for a while" - so time to get saving!

My humble offering for the name is "Club Fedoras", simple, close to the heart and could earn me 10% commision on each hat :wink:

Anyway, I am sure the business will be a big success, but you have my best wishes all the same!
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

little something I whipped up in photoshop:

Took about 5 minutes once I had the fonts and graphics, and it needs some tweaking but.... cool no?
Drhenryindianajones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

nice logo erik!! :D

fortune and glory hat co. is definatly the way to go

regards
dr
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

great job Erik! As for putting it in the hat, the only thing I'd change would be to make the background white instead of brown. But what do I know? :junior: -IJ
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Yer gonna have Lucas and Dorfman Pacific after you if you use that Hat&Whip logo.
Drhenryindianajones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Yer gonna have Lucas and Dorfman Pacific after you if you use that Hat&Whip logo.
maybe you could replace it with a staff of ra headpiece?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I'm following this with interest. I'm just a bit busy these days with little time to visit COW. :wink:

"Bragging about your fortune and glory? Put a lid on it and prove it!" would be a cool tag-line. :D

OK, I'll shut up and just watch now.
Nice going, Fedora!

Regards,
Swindiana
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

The burgundy gold is a little too Herbie J,maybe brown and tan??These are the Indy base colours anyhow.I dont like the whip and hat,way too commercial for my tastes but that is more or less what i was thinking..Maybe F&G surrounded by a wreath??
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I kept the maroon/burgundy color and gold because it was like the HJ crest, but I wanted to personalize it. Good point about the fedora and whip, though I was only using it to show a piece of Clipart in the middle, it really could be anything.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I think it's very exciting that Fedora is doing this and I'm sure he will produce wonderful hats that will be both well crafted and well shaped.
However, I personally am against using any kind of Indiana Jones iconography. These should be the kind of hats that Jones could've picked up in the 30s. Would Indy have worn a hat with a picture of one of his "rare antiquities" or quoting one of his sayings. As for the bullwhip!?!
I know I sound like a party pooper and it's not that I don't appreciate the wonderful brainstorming and artwork that's been going on.... I just think that Fedora's hats should be as classy as the classic hats and not diminished in their quality through some corny references. Please, no offence intended

Point well taken. I had originally thought of doing just this. I could have made up a name, like Delk and Lewis Hattery, a traditional crest on the liner and the name of the company on the sweat with the address, as this was common back in the day. I guess since I already own hats like that, and many of us do, I wanted to create something that I would want to buy.
I just felt it would be a kick to grab your hat and as you put it on, your eye would linger on the headpiece on the liner. To the untrained eye, or non Indy fan, it would look like a hatters crest, but to us it would tickle the memory. But, I did not want the hat to look cartoonish either, and there can be a fine line here. You can overdo the Indy theme. Perhaps the additional Indy reference of Fortune and Glory on the sweat is overkill. I am all ears and will listen to what you guys think. Too late on the liners as those are in the works. :lol: regards, Fedora
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

I personally don't like ANY writing on the sweat - can this be optional or is this a done deal?

BTW, I posted alot of ?'s over on TLP - I hope you get a chance to answer them.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

personally don't like ANY writing on the sweat - can this be optional or is this a done deal?

I can do it both ways. Plain sweat or imprinted sweat. I do want the printed sweats though as it would make the hat a complete package. As far as that goes, I could also offer it with a plain liner, that way, it would sorta of give the folks like Langpuss an option if they wanted to remain anonomous in their choice of hats. Or, they could stick in a liner from a vintage hat and really make it look like a hat from that era. I do think the Indy references would sell more hats than the just having the hat look like a vintage hat. Afterall, you can buy those on ebay all day long. :wink: But, if enough folks think I should go the other way, I will do so. I will always have open ears toward other ideas.

Fedoraman posted this at TLP. They are good questions and I will try to answer them.
Steve, brace yourself I have a boatload of ?'s -

1. Where are you getting your beaver hat bodies?
2. Will they be converted "cowboy" bodies?
3. What felt thickness will you have in the Fortune and Glory lines?
4. Are you going to use felt stiffener?
5. If so, how stiff will the crown be as compared to the brim?
6. Can we request differences?
7. What kind of water-proofing are you going to offer?
8. I am still very intriqued by the oil method you mentioned in the past - will you use this on the new lids?
9. Will the color of the sweats be the same as the vintage attempt made by GH?
10. What are the deminsions of the brims & crown?
11. Will this vary depending on size like GH has stated?
12. What is the width of the ribbon?
13. Can we see a sampling of what your bows will look like?

And the most important - have you gotten a 7 1/2 block yet?

1) From a felt maker here in the U.S. that several custom hatters use.
2) No. This feltmaker offers dress bodies in pure rabbit, and pure beaver.
3) I can pounce it paper thin if that is what suits your. I figure the medium
weight and lightweight will be the two options.
4) I can use it, or not use it. Your choice. I don't think you would need it.
5) On the beaver bodies, the brim is close to the same as the hat body. On the rabbit, the brim is stiffer than the body(the body is fairly soft and pliable), but not cowboy stiff.
6) ??????
7) The hat will be treated with a water resistant chemical. B and L more than likely, depending upon Ricks field test of this high dollar stuff.
8 I can use the oil, but it does darken the felt somewhat while making the color look richer. I will only offer it as an option.
9) I apparently don't use the same supplier for sweats. I am gonna offer
brown as that was the original color of the HJ fedora.
10)The dimensions will be optional.
11) I don't know. I don't know what he said about this.
12) 1 1/2 inches
13) Sure, the next time that I do one, I will post a link to the pic.

I am sending my block to the blockmaker this week to start the replication. After I get a copy back in my size, I am gonna block one of my hats, eyeball it and if he nailed it, I will start the process. If not, then it is back to the blockmaker for mods, and then we will repeat the process. So, that is why I figure it will be sometime in Sept, before I am ready to make hats. regards, Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

My website

Post by Fedora »

Here is a rough cut of the homepage on my up and coming business. It was done by a fellow fan here. Whada think?http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/design2.html
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Nice.....#### nice! You are going to have one kick- azz business when it is up and running ! I cant wait ! :tup:
Cabinetman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cabinetman »

That's pretty sharp. A bit rustic. A vintage feel. Tasteful. Nice job, "fellow fan".