What Whip is best ?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

What Whip is best ?

Post by Kris »

Well, what whip would you receomend for a starter with a little bit experience ? I'm a vegitarian, so would you advice Nylon ones, or are they not good at all ? Also, funds are limited, as I'm stil a student. However, soon that will change a bit.. but still. What length would you suggest ?

Thanks for reading and pointing this newbie in the right direction :lol:
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

Vegitarian?? You're not gonna eat the whip are you?? Just kidding.

Nylon whips are excellent whips is you get them from someone who has made a number of them. They will perform very well, last a long time and look good also. Check out whips by Tim Bass, Rhett Kelley, Steve Koliski, or Greg DeSayre. These guys are probably the tops in nylon whips.

Jerry R
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

THX :)

What lengt would you suggest ??? Also, any idea of a price ??

Can anyone give me that idea ?
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I don't really like nylon whips, so I have no idea of cost...

But as to length, 6 foot is a good if you're just starting off. Anything between 6 and 8 is not bad to start with, but I think 6 footers are better to learn on.

They're long enough so that they crack easily, and short enough to use in smaller areas, and don't tangle as easily when you're just learning to crack it. Also bear in mind that bullwhips are measured from the knot of the handle to the beginning of the fall. Add a fall and cracker to the end of a 6 foot whip, and you're actually swinging 8 foot.

From 6 foot, you can decide where you want to go, and as you're dealing with nylon, which is infinitely cheaper than leather, you've got a good starter that doesn't break the bank. From there, you can easily graduate to a longer, (or shorter,) whip of leather if you become so inclined.

I've got a six footer in cowhide that I love, (one of our very own RacerX's "Ugly Ducklings." Like HF said in another Lucas franchise, "She's not much to look at, but she's got it where it counts!") and there's not much now I can't do with it, but come October, I'm getting an 8-footer in roo hide from our very own Paul "Midwestwhips" Nolan because I've decided I want something a little more slow and graceful.
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

Kris,

I am sure most would agree that a 6', 7', or 8' are the standard to learn on. Big enough to do most of the cracks that are considered basics, you can do target cutting and most anything with this size whip.

You can expect to pay somewhere around $15.00 - $20.00 per plaited foot for a good nylon from a reputable maker.

Check out some of the links - search whips, bullwhips, nylon whips.

Jerry
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Kangaroos are vegetarians too! :shock: :whip:

Besides I don't know of anyone that eats kangaroo meat, though I am sure some people do. It is not slaughtered for it's meat, but is basically a nuisance to society in Australia as they are usually encroaching on city boundaries in large herd groups. This can endanger children playing around parks and school yards.
In the state of Victoria, the army is routinely assigned toi slaughter them by the thousands and then bury them in a very large pit. The state of Victoria does not allow use of the kangaroos for meat or tanneries for using their hides. :cry:
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

What you're doing there is taking some events and making them seem more commonplace than they are. It's not as though Australian cities are ringed by volunteer militia, shooting at rampaging herds of 'roos trying to overrun them ;)

Also, 'roo meat is quite freely available for human consumption. From supermarket shelves to leading restaurants. Sure, its not the first meat of choice for the majority of people - but as something a bit different every now and then, I've known many people to have eaten it. I have... the last occasion was a French restaurant which had done 'roo skewers with a gorgeous sauce.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about getting a 'roo whip. I know, it's generally preferable for a vegitarian to not eat or use any product that results in the death of animals. But, if you follow that rule, you won't be able to wear a fedora because they kill beavers and rabbits for the felt, you won't be able to get wested, unless you get a cloth wested, you can't get the bag because of the strap, you can't get the gun belt, holster, or whip holder, or the shoes. Basically that leaves you limited to just the pants, web belt and shirt. Now I don't know your motivations for being vegitarian, but if your like a whole lot of people out there and are just doing it because it's bad for your body, then there's nothing wrong with wearing animal products. Besides, it's not like anyone on earth can avoid being part of the animal death industry in some form or another. But these are just my ravings. It's all your decision, all I'm saying is just because your vegitarian, doesn't mean you have to avoid leather products. :junior: -IJ
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Very good point IndianaJones.

To Indiana Irwin: Did I make it sound that bad? It may happen a few times a year when they hunt and then only when the state says to eliminate some. There has been a very bad drought there in the last couple of years and a lot of roos are extremely decimated and sickly. They are going to go where there is vegetation and water to survive. 95% of the population of Australia lives 25 miles from the ocean. That leaves a lot of interior or outback.
I have no doubt many Aussies eat kangaroo, as it is a "natural" meat and readily available in markets. It is not so in the U.S. I have never seen "canned" roo meat, nor seen in any restaurants for food fare.
You are right... the majority of people do not eat roo ... even in Oz.

What we consider disgusting is people eating horsemeat. Now really no one eats horseflesh in the U.S., but packers here will buy it and ship the meat oversees.

I like what IndianaJones said... if you are going to get any gear, you might as well bend over. look the other way and buy a fedora (beaver), Aldens (Cowhide), bullwhip (kangaroo), MkVII bag with leather strap (cowhide), 2 belts (cowhide) Webley holster (cowhide) and Wested (goat, lamb, cowhide or ?) :roll:

Or get everything synthetic... :shock:
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

You could also check out this thread:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic ... ight=vegan

There is some good info in the beginning and then it gets way off-topic. But at the end I posted a link to a nylon holster I found. I'm not sure if it's still active, but it was a really nice looking holster.

I'm not a vegetarian, but the idea of putting together that type of gear was interesting to me.

Shishak
Richie
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Richie »

@Robert Duke

we eat a soup from the tail of the kangaroo here in western europe and it smells very good.... :oops:
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

Ok .. I'm a vegi becasue I don't like the ide a that an animal has to die to feed me what is not neceserry.. But as you say the tings, I can understand your points, and I might go the Leather way :oops:

THX for your insights already .. and more info and all is always welcome !
Indycire
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indycire »

Most of these animals wouldnt think twice about killing you...and then possibly eating you. Except they dont do it for sport.

-guess this should have been on the linked thread, oops
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Those scheming viscious cows! They're plotting you know!

The udder cheek of it! ;-)

Kris, are you wanting a good whip to learn on, or a screen accurate whip?
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

Most of these animals wouldnt think twice about killing you...and then possibly eating you. Except they dont do it for sport.
Must be some of those "Live Texas Killer Bulls in Blanco County, Texas"

As for animals killing for sport, watch the movie "The Ghost and The Darkness" It is based on an actual event during the building of the Tsavo railroad. Those two lions were having a field day and they were doing it mostly because they could. Read any of Peter Hathaway Capstick's books about the Dangerous Big Game animals and you'll get a whole different perspective on those animals.

Jerry
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Jerry, that reminds me of last night when I walked in and my wife was watching that roadtrip show with Paris Hilton riding around with a pink truck and an Airstream. They had gone to a working ranch in Texas and went o n a cattle drive. They didn't like branding and wanted to mark the animals with lipstick instead. They tool a particular liking to a steer that they named Bill. When they arrived and found out that all the cattle were going to slaughter, they decided on the spot to buy Bill his freedom.

The end of the show had them laying out at the pool at their Beverly Hills Mansion and a delivery guy showed up to deliver Bill. As soon as Paris signed for Bill and the delivery guy was ready to leave, and Paris was admiring her new purchase, the longhorn quickly turned to the left and jabbed Paris in the gut with his horn.

I don't think she was real pleased, and made some comment about, we can get rid of him now, as she walked away. I guess that will teach her a thing or two about having a 1700 pound animal as a pet. What was she thinking, just going to let him graze out in the backyard by the pool. That would really fit in well with the neighborhood. Do all rich people have a total lack of common sense? I don't know what this has to do with this thread, except maybe she will buy a kangaroo next.
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

I'm getting a whip trough Molorom (wolfpitwhips) ... That is after I earn some money :lol: