To dye or not to dye

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

parsa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

To dye or not to dye

Post by parsa »

I just got my What Price Glory repro bag in the mail yesterday, and I must say I'm impressed with the quality, especially of the strap and buckle. The bag should last forever, but it definitely needs use... it looks really new.

The suede back on the split leather strap is nice and soft, but it is *very* light. How many of you dyed the back brown? I don't want dye soaking into my clothes when I carry the bag (sweaty me, remember?).

How many of you colored the sides and/or the back of your bag strap, and how many left it as is?

Parsa
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I got my WPG bag used from another COW memeber who had already coloured the back of the strap. If I recall correctly, I think some folks have used shoe polish to darken the inside of the strap and then used Pecards leather dressing on it. I haven't had any problems with my strap bleeding on me.

bink
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

I made my own strap and dyed both sides. I just think it looks much better that way. You just have to be patient with anything recently dyed though. It took some time with me buffing it out and just letting it sit before I was willing to wear it, and now I never even think about the dye.
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Parsa,
I too thought it looked to light, kinda ugly! I took some Pecards dark brown shoe polish and rubbed it into the back of the strap, it worked well, and doesnt rub off!

Regards
I J
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

Parsa,
I too thought it looked to light, kinda ugly! I took some Pecards dark brown shoe polish and rubbed it into the back of the strap, it worked well, and doesnt rub off

I did the same and nothing had rubbed off. Go for it