Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Aveo133
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Destiny Jacket Sizing Question

Post by Aveo133 »

Hey fellow Indy fans,

I'm thinking about buying a Wested Destiny jacket, but their size chart is really confusing me. So, for context, I'm about 5ft, 10in and about 205-210lbs. Normally, I measure out to be a size 44 with 27in back and 24in sleeves. However, I'm told the Destiny jacket is unconventional in terms of its fit. I'm told it borrows elements from the standard Raiders jacket, which I own in a size 46 (it's a bit big on me, though).

Typically with a 27in back, a normal (non-Wested) jacket would sit a little below my beltline, while 24in sleeves would end around the base of my thumb. My main concern is the back length, as I want it to sit below my beltline and not be too short. Therefore, taking these sizes and preferences into account, how would a Destiny jacket sit on me of I were to ask for this?

Thanks!

-Avery
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: Wested Destiny Jacket Sizing Question

Post by Indiana Croft »

I own one Wested Raiders Hero, I gave some measurement's and got lucky.
Others have not been so, not bashing the creator of the iconic jacket, but if you do research you'll read a lot of stories, some good, some not so.

Now if you want a better chance of getting the jacket and have it fit, Steel & Jones will take all your measurements and wants, they'll work with you
and you can ask questions and get responses.
That's the pro, the down side is the wait time is out there, not sure what their current lead is, but so worth it.
I have 1 Wested and 3 S&J, that says something.

I'm 5'5'' with a 42'' +/- chest.

If you go to this link you can see some of my jacket from S&J.
https://indygear.net/cow/viewtopic.php?t=73930

There more expensive, but if your looking for the DoD, S&J will be your best shot, my opinion.
My leather is of a more stiffer lamb as they sourced as a close match, I'm not sure what leather there using now.
Never hurts to reach out and ask.

Oh and welcome to the club. :TOH:

Croft :mrgreen:
NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

Hey,
I have a Destiny jacket and I didn’t find anything about the sizing unusual. The opposite in fact. As I understand it, the Destiny is just a raiders standard with a different collar and reversed side straps. That and of course, a different leather. (Which is fantastic btw)
I would think you could use your standard raiders as a guide for sizing your destiny. Just ask for the measurements you want and you should get it. That said it never hurts to reach out to Wested, though I found their customer service to be rather terse (too many picky fans perhaps) and in my experience they won’t offer any assistance with sizing, other than pointing you to their charts.
The best thing to do is check measurements twice and then just go for it. Your back measurement certainly seems long for this jacket, but I’m sure they will be able to make your request.
For reference, I’m also 5’10” and I got a 24” back, which is perfect for me, though torsos and arms are all different..a 27” back on me would certainly not look screen accurate at all, but that also doesn’t mean it wouldn’t look cool, or right on your body.
Good luck, and if you pull the trigger be sure to post the results!

NR
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

When I bought a Wested Raiders, very recently, I used the OTR measurements for everything according to my chest size (even though I was getting a custom jacket with cotton sleeves and buckles - which they failed to fit, but that's another story), and the jacket turned out OK. Probably the 'worst' aspect is my sleeves feel 0.5" too long - but I know that when they scrunch up a bit more they'll probably be spot on.

My strong belief is that the OTR measurements already account for each jacket's idiosyncrasies (flick through the different pages and you'll see they all differ in one way or another), and the more you go off-piste, and try to second guess things, the more you court disaster. I even notice differences in the suggested measurements for the DoD jacket, even though the site says they're based on the Raiders measurements. Pull up both pages - they're different in some areas. Not by much - maybe half an inch here and here - but they are different. So keep that in mind, too. See how easy it is to start second guessing stuff?

Long story short - with the way Wested operates these days, which is a far cry from the days when Peter B ran the joint - you're going to have to be clever, but don't try and be too clever, and just pray :whip:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Also take the pit to pit measurement into account, as this will tell you how much actual room you will have in the jacket.

If you order a Destiny jacket also keep in mind the shoulders are smaller than on the other Indy jackets. This will directly affect the sleeve length. For example the Destiny in size 44 and 46 have a 6.75” shoulder while the standard Raiders jacket has a 7” (size 44) or 7.5” (size 46) shoulder. This also means that if you have a bit wider shoulders the jacket wont give you that sloping shoulders look we know from the other jackets.