$500K Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

$500K Fedora

Post by Spooky »

A fedora prop from ToD is being auctioned at Propstore next month.
Sounds like it might be a stuntman prop (it was owned by stuntman Dean Ferrandini) --
but it might have been one of the hero props (it apparently has traces of makeup on front-side of interior band).
Still expected to fetch $500,000 or more.
Also selling one of the (non-lit) Sankara stone props.

Link

Best Regards,
ChrisW
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: $500K Fedora

Post by ChrisW »

For sure the raft scenes as it seems to fit those little details and also Dean's own photos and pay stubs for those scenes support this further.

Some of the details for the other scenes seem a little more up to speculation.

Not listed by the auctioneer, but now I wonder if this might also have been the legendary tapered hat in the plane scene. The plane was an interior shot, I understand, but one wonders. It should be noted that the current extreme taper is not reflected in the old photos from Dean's collection.

It's interesting how the liner was also removed for this one.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The plane scene had a huge dent in it (from Willie manhandling it?). You can see it when Indy looks out the window. This helps contribute to the taper.
ChrisW
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ChrisW »

Mike wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:20 am The plane scene had a huge dent in it (from Willie manhandling it?). You can see it when Indy looks out the window. This helps contribute to the taper.
Ah I see now! Thanks! :TOH:
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

I think it sold for $470k?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, $630,000. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Dang, you could buy a mansion for that amount. I love gear and props as much as the next guy, but 630k? :shock:

Cheers,
Bear
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

bearbeast wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:05 pm Dang, you could buy a mansion for that amount.
Not anymore... ](*,)

At least in NZ... just heard the AVERAGE house price in Auckland is now $1,000,000 NZD (almost exactly the equivalent of what the hat sold for)! :(
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indy Magnoli wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:15 pm
bearbeast wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:05 pm Dang, you could buy a mansion for that amount.
Not anymore... ](*,)

At least in NZ... just heard the AVERAGE house price in Auckland is now $1,000,000 NZD (almost exactly the equivalent of what the hat sold for)! :(
Ah, fair enough! I was relating it to the prices in Romania. You can get a house (small) starting at $150k-$200k, but the minimum wage around here is just below $500/month.

Cheers,
Bear
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

It sold for more than the Raiders Cairo hat, and there's no really convincing evidence that Harrison Ford ever even wore it. There were dozens of hats per film made for Ford and the stuntmen. Why on earth would Ford need to share his screen-worn hats with a stuntman as claimed in the now-deceased stuntman's letter of authenticity?? There were occasions when Ford gifted one of his hats to a stuntman, and that would have been a more credible claim than the one made, in my opinion. But would Ford even remember doing it after all these years? Too much uncertainty for me to get too excited. But if whoever bought the hat is happy with it, I guess that's all that counts-- he or she certainly wasn't into counting pennies.

Jack