No Wested Standard Lamb distressing talk in a while, so...

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

No Wested Standard Lamb distressing talk in a while, so...

Post by Kokopelli »

I'm going g to start distressing my new Wested Standard Raiders in lambskin. I wet it in the shower with cold water once, and that seemed to help take some of the shine off of the leather.

I want to get more of a difference in the color, though. I just think the Standard Brown of the lambskin is just too dark and too uniform in color.

Looking through the old posts here, I see that Fiebing's Dark Brown was the color of choice. I stopped by Hobby Lobby today, and they only had the 'Low VOC' Dark Brown. :-k I assumed it would be the same dark brown color as the 'regular'. I tested under the pocket flap with a green scotch pad. The original color comes off pretty easy, leaving a lifeless, boring light grey color. I swabbed it with the Low VOC Dark Brown....apparently it is not the same!! It's as dark as the jacket itself- not the saddle-cooper color I see from other jackets using the Dark Brown.

Oh, well, Amazon has the other colors- I'm going to order some Dark Brown and maybe a lighter color, too, and I'll report back!!
neromakes
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: No Wested Standard Lamb distressing talk in a while, so...

Post by neromakes »

I'm using ecoflo canyon tan on my lambskin hero as I write this.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

I have had a lot of luck using Angelus dye on my boots and other leather goods recently. I haven’t had a chance to try it on a jacket, but the Army Tan color is a nice red/orange-ish brown, and can produce really nice copper tones that some of the people around here like.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

A year on... guys, don't leave us hanging. What happened? :whip:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

dang. sorry! forgot to update! I ended up using some alcohol to take the shine off, then hit the hi spots along seems, elbows, etc with fine grip sandpaper to take off the top color, then dyed it with Flebings (?) brown... it turned out pretty cool. I'll get pics up as soon as I'm able- I had rotator cuff surgery yesterday, so give me a couple days.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Looking forward to it! And as someone with stuffed shoulders as well, I hope you are getting some relief now :whip: