Sable vs Deep

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Sable vs Deep

Post by LetHerGo888 »

I searched and couldn’t find this but I’m sure it’s covered here. But I’m sure it’s covered so pardon the ask… but what’s the difference between HJ Sable vs Deep? Is Sable lighter? The more I obsess over this that more I’m convinced the hat should be distinctly lighter than the jacket… I feel like that’s what’s on screen in Raiders, and I feel like my HJ Deep was too dark.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Sable vs Deep

Post by fifthchamber »

The basic Sable is the colour as it appears on screen, with some sun-bleaching and lighting etc to lighten the colour just a touch. The "Deep Sable" is the colour originally given to the production team before filming, which I would assume, will eventually make it's way to the slightly lighter colour of the standard Sable over time and use..

Just depends on if you're in need of immediate "screen look" or "production accurate", essentially.....I rather like the Sable, since it does look more Indy right off the bat, but I also like the development over time of a deeper colour....So it's entirely up to you.. :TOH:
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by LetHerGo888 »

fifthchamber wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:54 pm The basic Sable is the colour as it appears on screen, with some sun-bleaching and lighting etc to lighten the colour just a touch. The "Deep Sable" is the colour originally given to the production team before filming, which I would assume, will eventually make it's way to the slightly lighter colour of the standard Sable over time and use..

Just depends on if you're in need of immediate "screen look" or "production accurate", essentially.....I rather like the Sable, since it does look more Indy right off the bat, but I also like the development over time of a deeper colour....So it's entirely up to you.. :TOH:
Awesome. Thank you for this info! I think I’m gonna go Sable then for sure.
abbaforever2001@yahoo.com
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by abbaforever2001@yahoo.com »

From what it said on the website the deep sable also has a more accurate floppiness and texture to the original felt. Anyone have insight on this, first hand experience?
Beswick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Beswick »

abbaforever2001@yahoo.com wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:16 pm From what it said on the website the deep sable also has a more accurate floppiness and texture to the original felt. Anyone have insight on this, first hand experience?
I have a Deep Sable Rabbit Felt HJ Poet and it is indeed very floppy. The texture might be slightly rougher than it appears on the screen used hat in my opinion though. I dont know if the Beaver felt has the same floppiness as the Rabbit, but it will be much smoother.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I believe that Michelle sourced a felt that was as close as she could get to the original 80's era felts for the Dark Sable rabbit variations, yes, although given the amazing felts they use for the rabbit in general, I'd say it's a given that you'll be fine with either variation, both are insanely floppy...I've seen a sable up close, and own a Seaplane grey, which genuinely surprises me each time the wind hits it with just how ridiculously floppy it actually is.....If you want "Raiders perfection"? Then yes, I'd suggest the Deep Sable rabbit, but I do rather like the sturdiness of beaver in general, so that will entirely depend on what you as the buyer, value most in a hat.....

The beaver will of course be a fair bit stronger, sturdier, and stiffer too...Colour wise too, I'd expect a little variation between the rabbit and beaver, but not much...