Taper

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

AnObtainerNamedIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Taper

Post by AnObtainerNamedIndy »

Apologies if this has been asked before. Search didn’t turn up what I was looking for.

Ordering a hat and want to get it modeled after the one in the Well of Souls. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be and I can’t tell if there’s some taper in the crown? Some shots seem like there is, some there isn’t. Is this just dependent on the angle? If there is taper, would it have been in the block or occurred from shrinkage?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Taper

Post by Indiana Jeff »

From where are you ordering? Any of the regular hat makers here will be able to produce exactly what you are looking for without special instructions or requests.

Are you planning on wearing the hat regularly or occasional cosplay or display only? I ask because the more the hat is worn and handled the more it will take on its own character and will drift away from 100% screen accuracy you may have out of the box.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
AnObtainerNamedIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Taper

Post by AnObtainerNamedIndy »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:07 pm From where are you ordering? Any of the regular hat makers here will be able to produce exactly what you are looking for without special instructions or requests.

Are you planning on wearing the hat regularly or occasional cosplay or display only? I ask because the more the hat is worn and handled the more it will take on its own character and will drift away from 100% screen accuracy you may have out of the box.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks for the reply. I haven’t decided where I’m going to order it from yet, but I do know it’s going to be rabbit felt. The hat is a splurge for me and I’m going to wear it just about wherever I can (weather permitting—no heat waves, downpours, or high humidity). The difference in properties from beaver felt isn’t much of a concern for me.