A Very Different ToD (S&J ‘35)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

A Very Different ToD (S&J ‘35)

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Have you ever watched an Indy movie and thought “man his jacket looks black in that scene” and then considered a black jacket?

Have you ever looked online at “teacore” leather and wanted that epic black-to-brown patina?

I know I have! I wanted something more substantial than my lighter weight BK Relic Hunter, and I wanted it in black. However I wanted that black to be lightly weathered down to a nice brown. I decided to reach out to the master of distressing, Diego at Steele & Jones, for help. He had just the skin: the brand new Blackstone Cowhide. It’s got good weight, it’s got a good feel, it’s got the black color, it’s got the brown undertones! And, as far as I know, it’s the only S&J jacket in this gorgeous skin. I can say, without a doubt, that this is a keeper. Diego has outdone himself.

P.s. if you have any hesitation about sizing, go for the mock-up jacket. Some extra cash for the peace of mind is absolutely worth it!
Attachments
F0D46C04-A2DD-4CCD-A990-F6592C7553D2.jpeg
73D04552-8F23-4F6E-B578-8B34F01E2D1D.jpeg
45C54B45-5E16-4DB2-AFB4-1B3B0B3D20B7.jpeg
69F825BD-E1B8-49FC-BB45-4885307B99DD.jpeg
C4139892-3296-4CCC-8E27-364C5268955A.jpeg
2D64E8DC-D311-47FF-AE83-5225163DFF0F.jpeg
Beswick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: A Very Different ToD (S&J ‘35)

Post by Beswick »

Beautiful jacket! The color looks great, I assume those pics are with indoor lighting? Does the color change at all in sunlight? The ToD jacket is may favorite fit of all the jackets.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Yes, those are pics inside an orange bedroom… so the lighting isn’t the best. I haven’t had time, or daylight, to see it in the sun or take outdoor shots yet. I did snap some in the laundry room, you can really see the color difference in these. Unfortunately, I think it’ll be quite hard to capture the black tones inside. All the photos are coming out slightly brownish… :roll:

Edit: I wanted to put in my first impressions after wearing around the house since I opened it. I conditioned it with leather honey (something I do with all leather goods when I receive them, on this jacket it darkened the distressing a touch but I’m okay with that for the time being) and have worn it zipped up for about 3 hours straight. This jacket is fantastic. The cowhide feels supple, yet strong like armor. The fit is absolutely PERFECT, it’s like a second skin. The body, sleeves, pleats, and everything else fall or land exactly like I want them to. I asked Diego to add elastic to the action pleats, and I’m so glad I did. The jacket hugs my body gently without feeling constricting. I opted for a black satin lining, which is perfect. I can slide this jacket on and off with ease, something I can’t day about the Wested I owned or my BK. I foresee this jacket becoming a staple of my winter wardrobe.
Attachments
BAF3C598-C11C-4414-9417-6A82AC8208A4.jpeg
FC16CC9F-9977-43E9-BF0F-87051EA09B26.jpeg
FBA0CE7B-ED13-49B4-AC78-F78CE5E3A2A0.jpeg
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Hi Drew,
Thank you for this review and pictures.
Wow...in the pics looks like a deep dark brown.
Happened also to me, when I took the pictures.
Hard to catch the black color. Perhaps sunlight pics will show.

ENJOY IT!
Cheers.-
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Wow, that looks almost perfect for a Raiders. That's the nature of teacore; that top coat acts more like a lens for the brown underneath than it does a cover. Very cool.

Are you planning on stocking more, Diego? Are you hiding any other leathers up you sleeve?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Looks great!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I'd love to see an outside pic myself. It does totally look dark brown. I always got an almost black vibe from the TOD jacket. Couldn't find a high res pic of this , but I especially got that vibe in this pic
Beautiful jacket!!!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hollowpond wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:29 am I'd love to see an outside pic myself. It does totally look dark brown. I always got an almost black vibe from the TOD jacket. Couldn't find a high res pic of this , but I especially got that vibe in this pic
Beautiful jacket!!!
Yeah, In the 1980's I thought this jacket was black.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:25 pm Wow, that looks almost perfect for a Raiders. That's the nature of teacore; that top coat acts more like a lens for the brown underneath than it does a cover. Very cool.

Are you planning on stocking more, Diego? Are you hiding any other leathers up you sleeve?
We have in stock this "Blackstone Cowhide".
We got it for a couple of different projects... but we didn't have time to develop it.
Dr.Who 9 jacket (Ecclestone).
And T2 jacket.

Also we have in mind other non-Indy projects in the future.
But with the new movie so close to premiere, we have to focus on the Indy items.

This is a very small company.
And we like to put our full attention on each project.
To achieve the most accurate pattern possible. That requires work, and above all, TIME.

Cheers.-
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiego Jones wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:58 pm
Illinois_Jones wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:25 pm Wow, that looks almost perfect for a Raiders. That's the nature of teacore; that top coat acts more like a lens for the brown underneath than it does a cover. Very cool.

We have in stock this "Blackstone Cowhide".
We got it for a couple of different projects... but we didn't have time to develop it.
Dr.Who 9 jacket (Ecclestone).
And T2 jacket.

Also we have in mind other non-Indy projects in the future.
But with the new movie so close to premiere, we have to focus on the Indy items.

This is a very small company.
And we like to put our full attention on each project.
To achieve the most accurate pattern possible. That requires work, and above all, TIME.

Cheers.-
Cool, a 9th Doctor jacket. Nice one!
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Hollowpond wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:29 am I'd love to see an outside pic myself. It does totally look dark brown. I always got an almost black vibe from the TOD jacket. Couldn't find a high res pic of this , but I especially got that vibe in this pic
Beautiful jacket!!!
While it’s not an outside shot, here’s a picture of me under some harsh fluorescent light. You can see the black shades better, but this jacket just doesn’t want to show itself off. If central Texas decides to be a bit brighter soon, I’ll for sure get some shots.
Attachments
29182337-C63E-4C9B-9FF3-1F3721C075A5.jpeg
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I think that is an EXCELLENT TOD hide choice!! :tup:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Hollowpond wrote:I'd love to see an outside pic myself. It does totally look dark brown. I always got an almost black vibe from the TOD jacket. Couldn't find a high res pic of this , but I especially got that vibe in this pic
Beautiful jacket!!!
This is why the TOD jacket is my favorite. Plus the wrinkled sleeves… I gotta get me one of those.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

The wrinkled sleeves have always been my favorite part of the Temple jacket, to me there’s something really cool about those. Mine is SLOWLY developing some nice wrinkles, but it’ll be a while before it’s where I want it haha