Steele & Jones Thin Horse Hide

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Steele & Jones Thin Horse Hide

Post by MikeMac »

Hi there. I’m wondering if anyone could share some photos of a recent S&J Raiders in thin Horse Hide. I’d like to see some examples before purchasing.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Steele & Jones Thin Horse Hide

Post by indymassilia »

Hi Mike,
you can ask Diego if it is possible to send to you some leather samples,so you can have in hands and make your choice..
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

I didn’t realize that was an option. I’ll inquire!

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You’ll be amazed how accommodating S&J folks are. Love my thin HH LC jacket, but it’s a couple years old so I’m not sure what their current inventory is like.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Michaelson wrote:You’ll be amazed how accommodating S&J folks are. Love my thin HH LC jacket, but it’s a couple years old so I’m not sure what their current inventory is like.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Thanks for the reply, Michaelson. Have you posted any pictures on COW?

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I know Diego posted photos of my jacket in a thread about his HH jackets in the past.
Scroll down Page 4 of the Steele and Jones ‘38 thread and you can see me in a few photos wearing my jacket.

viewtopic.php?t=66609&start=150

Regards! M
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Michaelson wrote:I know Diego posted photos of my jacket in a thread about his HH jackets in the past.
Scroll down Page 4 of the Steele and Jones ‘38 thread and you can see me in a few photos wearing my jacket.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=66609&start=150

Regards! M
Michaelson, thanks for the response and for directing me to the thread. How do you find horse hide compared to other skins? I’ve heard it’s durable, but is it too stiff?

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Takes training. Like heavier goatskin, wear it around the house, bend and stretch, lean over side to side, roll it up, but mainly wear it and get it warm …..train it to fit your body. Once it settles in, it fits like a glove and STAYS that way.

Same physical weight as a goatskin or light cowhide…..but needs more time to make it 100% yours, and well worth it.

As an example, mine fit exactly as patterned, but was snug through the shoulders. Not terrible, and made exactly to the specs I gave Diego, but the fit was so exact, actual motion wasn’t really figured into the final fit. MY mistake. Once I wore the jacket for a few hours doing arm stretching and the like, the jacket is absolutely perfect.

Here’s a decent site that describes several ways. I subscribed to the stretching method myself, or the ‘wear and tear’ method.

https://www.wikihow.com/Break-in-a-Leather-Jacket?amp=1

In all the multitude of jackets I’ve owned in every conceivable hide, this is the only one I’ve had to train like this, with the exception of a heavy made to measure G&B goatskin years ago.

Keep in mind, this is NOT unusual. This is what you do to make a high end professionally tailored jacket fit perfectly.

Regards! M
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Michaelson wrote:Takes training. Like heavier goatskin, wear it around the house, bend and stretch, lean over side to side, roll it up, but mainly wear it and get it warm …..train it to fit your body. Once it settles in, it fits like a glove and STAYS that way.

Same physical weight as a goatskin or light cowhide…..but needs more time to make it 100% yours, and well worth it.

As an example, mine fit exactly as patterned, but was snug through the shoulders. Not terrible, and made exactly to the specs I gave Diego, but the fit was so exact, actual motion wasn’t really figured into the final fit. MY mistake. Once I wore the jacket for a few hours doing arm stretching and the like, the jacket is absolutely perfect.

Here’s a decent site that describes several ways. I subscribed to the stretching method myself, or the ‘wear and tear’ method.

https://www.wikihow.com/Break-in-a-Leather-Jacket?amp=1

In all the multitude of jackets I’ve owned in every conceivable hide, this is the only one I’ve had to train like this, with the exception of a heavy made to measure G&B goatskin years ago.

Keep in mind, this is NOT unusual. This is what you do to make a high end professionally tailored jacket fit perfectly.

Regards! M
Michaelson,

Thank you for response. It’s very helpful. The link is also a great source of information. I had no idea that horsehide needed that kind of dedication. I suppose that makes sense given the strength of the hide. Looking forward to getting this coat!

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Surprised me too! This is the second horse hide jacket I own, but I got the first one used so it was already broken in, therefore I wasn’t familiar with their characteristics.

Like live horses, once you get them trained to ride, they’re a fantastic choice of wear.

Regards! M