US Wings Jackets - Opinions

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Jethro
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

US Wings Jackets - Opinions

Post by Jethro »

How the quality / accuracy of the US Wings Indy jackets?
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: US Wings Jackets - Opinions

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Jethro wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:51 am How the quality / accuracy of the US Wings Indy jackets?
I have had a US wings for about 10 years now. I believe it is a Raiders style in cowhide. The accuracy is there in terms of general styling. In other words, it's not an a2, but it's also not nearly as accurate as something like a steele and Jones or a magnoli or probably even a wested. That said, the thing is bulletproof. You could not find a more durable jacket if you hewed one out of granite. If screen accuracy is paramount, then I would look elsewhere, probably at wested if that is your price point.

If you are looking for something that has the same features and is more or less the same as what is seen on screen that you can wear forever, go for it.

I guess I'd give them a 70% on accuracy and 100% on quality. Their customer service is really good too.
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

They are my go-to everyday jackets, and for those who want a sturdy Indy jacket for life they are my #1 recommendation. They are not totally screen accurate on the details, but they are very much Indy jackets and incredibly durable (to the degree I suspect we all grew up imagining Indy's jacket to be). When I'm doing yardwork, camping, cutting down trees, hiking through rough terrain, or anything else where the jacket might take a beating, it's the US Wings I reach for without worry. The generous fit is also IMO more comfortable and practical for real life day-to-day wear than the fit of the screen accurate jackets.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

They are OK. I got a standard Raiders some years ago but I did not like the fit. The body was too short for me and I sold it. The only US Wings I currently have is their Indy in reddish cowhide. Has a great look. But it has the slightly longer body on it and I don't like that, but it is a bit heavier jacket that I like to wear when the elements are nasty...
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Quality and durability 8/10
Screen accuracy. 4/10

Overall they adjust patterns to be as efficient as possible. I can’t blame them from a manufacturer’s point of view as a large back panel can take up a lot of a hide. If you can minimize the size of the panels by having a larger yoke, smaller back, smaller sides, you can use each hide more efficiently. But it doesn’t prioritize matching the jacket seen on the screen. Agree if the screen jacket is what you’re looking for, go to Steele and Jones.
Jethro
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jethro »

Thanks for all of the input. I'll have to ponder the accuracy issues and see if I'll be happy.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The current patterns have a longer length, so far from saving on material, they are using more.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Funny you should mention this today. Years ago I bought a US wings Goatskin (USA made by Schott I believe). Exceptional quality. Beautiful leather. Built like a tank. And that was proved yesterday. I was racing to teach a class and the subway closed because of issues on the track. I was walking quickly to get to the next station and trying to message my class on my phone at the same time. I tripped on the curb (my own fault of course) and full on fell on the sidewalk. I landed on my elbow and ended up sliding on the concrete sideway. Jacket is barely scratched even though my arm has an abrasion from the impact. Thankfully I was not seriously injured and now the jacket has a very small mark which comes with a great story.
All that to say that in my experience their USA made Jackets are exceptional quality.
Canada
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Their jacket patterns are a bit different too. The Cape buffalo jacket used in the IJ stunt show at Disney World is definitely longer, but the striated lambskin is standard length. Both made by Schott.

Wore my striated lambskin today and it’s the same length as my HH Steele and Jones LC jacket.

Regards! Michaelson
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

I love the durability of US Wings, they were my first ever Indy jacket and bought a few more since they are stateside.
However as I have a generally smaller build 5’4 135 lbs I can never get sizing right. Their size small is still huge on me especially in the arms.

Lately I’ve had to go custom sizing route with Steele & Jones and my first ever Wested; Legacy Last Crusade which fit perfectly.

If you fit the US Wings sizing you will have a beautiful jacket for life!
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Canada Jones wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:19 pm Funny you should mention this today. Years ago I bought a US wings Goatskin (USA made by Schott I believe). Exceptional quality. Beautiful leather. Built like a tank. And that was proved yesterday. I was racing to teach a class and the subway closed because of issues on the track. I was walking quickly to get to the next station and trying to message my class on my phone at the same time. I tripped on the curb (my own fault of course) and full on fell on the sidewalk. I landed on my elbow and ended up sliding on the concrete sideway. Jacket is barely scratched even though my arm has an abrasion from the impact. Thankfully I was not seriously injured and now the jacket has a very small mark which comes with a great story.
All that to say that in my experience their USA made Jackets are exceptional quality.
Canada
Dang brother! Glad you are ok. Agreed on built like a tank. My latest Wings (hero?) Has 2 problems. Too long (even for me at 6-2) with pockets that sit too high from the bottom and the collar is very funky... I purchased a few months prior to m SJ.....it has hung in a closet since 2020 and never worn.