Distressing a Legacy Raiders

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Distressing a Legacy Raiders

Post by MikeMac »

I’ve been trying to distress my Wested Legacy Raiders. It’s actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. I’m looking to see how folks feel about acetone. I know it’s harsh, but this coat is quite tough. I also feel it’s far too shiny. So far here is my progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Distressing a Legacy Raiders

Post by Arch Stanton »

I have tried acetone on a magnoli jacket and it seemed to not do much at all, actually. It's sort of more good for blending in spots that look to be too distressed, or scrapes where I don't want them. I still find the best option to be the rough side of a dish sponge, and putting it on, taking a quick shower(no soap!) and wearing until dry with the sleeves bunched up. But with the dish sponge, I would use it sparingly at first, see how it comes out, and slowly build up more and more. Don't try to make it look completely distressed on the first go.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Arch Stanton wrote:I have tried acetone on a magnoli jacket and it seemed to not do much at all, actually. It's sort of more good for blending in spots that look to be too distressed, or scrapes where I don't want them. I still find the best option to be the rough side of a dish sponge, and putting it on, taking a quick shower(no soap!) and wearing until dry with the sleeves bunched up. But with the dish sponge, I would use it sparingly at first, see how it comes out, and slowly build up more and more. Don't try to make it look completely distressed on the first go.
Thanks so much for the reply, Arch. That seems to be the consensus. I find this leather particularly tough to distress on the larger panels. The seams are fine. I was looking to see what I could use to also tone down the shine.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I concur, less is more.
When I distress my jackets, I go slow, ace tone does work, but I use a piece of cloth and lightly rubareas like elbows and end of the sleeves.
Then out come Scott pads, 220 sandpaper for very light scuffing.
Try to avoid these large scratches that some try. Let those come naturally.
I tweaked a S&J ToD and used brown leather dye to repair it and it ended up ok.

Croft :mrgreen:
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Indiana Croft wrote:I concur, less is more.
When I distress my jackets, I go slow, ace tone does work, but I use a piece of cloth and lightly rubareas like elbows and end of the sleeves.
Then out come Scott pads, 220 sandpaper for very light scuffing.
Try to avoid these large scratches that some try. Let those come naturally.
I tweaked a S&J ToD and used brown leather dye to repair it and it ended up ok.

Thanks, Croft! I have some ultra fine sand paper but that does nothing. I’ll have to go a little more abrasive.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well, I do tend to rub with the sand paper on the one spot for till I see some distressing, just be
mindful of seams, you do not want to sever any thread.

The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

The Wested have a shiny wax they use and it has a slightly greying effect. First think id do is put it on a good hanger and give it a warm shower using the spray head and that sheds a lot of the wax and begins to 'pop' the leather a little which gives you a nice surface .. don't soak it through but a short sharp hope water shower will change the look of that jacket instantly!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The Raiders Legacy leather is tough. I've done a little bit of distressing but it's mild and barely shows.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

xmasters wrote:The Raiders Legacy leather is tough. I've done a little bit of distressing but it's mild and barely shows.
Yes! I totally agree. It’s much more difficult than I thought it would be. My S&J LC? Distresses sooo easily. I’m so new to this, that I just thought it would be all the same. Was I ever wrong.

Beswick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Beswick »

My Legacy ToD jacket has the exact same leather. I just used a green Scotch pad and lots of circular motions. I've weathered it in about 6 stages, the last time using a little bit of rubbing alcohol first. Ive found with the Scotch pads, it looks like nothing is happening at first but it does slowly start taking layers off.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Maybe I'm using the wrong ones, as the jacket seems to be taking the green off the pads. :mrgreen:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I found the Legacy Raiders quite resistant to the scotchbrite. Eventually I resorted to soapy water and wet and dry sandpaper!

It remains the firmest feeling lamb I've had out of many jackets, it almost feels like goat.

The Legacy LC on the other hand... keep with the green pads and water.
Beswick
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Beswick »

xmasters wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:03 am Maybe I'm using the wrong ones, as the jacket seems to be taking the green off the pads. :mrgreen:
Lol, I suppose I did lose quite a bit of my Scotchbrite when weathering as well :lol:
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

I have used this with good results!