I dyed some clothes, please let me know if I got it close to SA

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I dyed some clothes, please let me know if I got it close to SA

Post by SFGiant »

I used RIT dye in a pot of boiling water with some Dawn and salt.
First is the shopDisney Indiana Jones shirt. This is an excellent shirt, but out of the package it was very light colored. Like a stone-white, with a bit of yellow. Doesn't look bad at all though, but I wanted to get it closer to the movie shirt. The first night I dyed it I thought I could just use some RIT Tan and it would just get more khaki. But it turned pink :anxious: I was ready to give up on it, but then I dyed it again with a lot of pearl grey and it turned stone gray, no pink or khaki at all. So the next day I dyed it AGAIN with a mixture of pearl grey and tan and I think it turned out juuust right. Mostly khaki with a hint of red.

I've put it on top of another copy of the shirt I have and used different lighting/flash:

Frustrated I couldn't get pants the way I see on screen, I dyed some Dockers color Timber Wolf with around 2 parts RIT Coral 1 part Pearl Grey. This is just one of those things where I had can't give an exact formula but I had to keep dying it and adding more dye to get it right. I think I got it just the way I want because it has that shifting color thing that's hard to photograph. Definitely some red to it. Reminds me Last Crusade pants.

I also put these below another copy of the pants I have:

Some pics of the two together:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: I dyed some clothes, please let me know if I got it close to SA

Post by Indiana Croft »

I’d say those came out awesome, very nice job with the process, glad you didn’t give up.
No gear up and let’s see how they all look together.

Croft :mrgreen:
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Indiana Croft wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:07 pm I’d say those came out awesome, very nice job with the process, glad you didn’t give up.
No gear up and let’s see how they all look together.

Thank you :D My Wested is coming tomorrow and other than a belt and holster coming soon I'll be all complete.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

You're very brave! And it looks like you got some nice results for your efforts -- especially considering how different the shirts and pants look from movie to movie, even scene to scene in the SAME movie. I would definitely not have the nerve to try what you did.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Question.
Are the pants cavalry twill or cotton.
Those sure did turn nice, and yes you are brave

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Haha thank you

and dying is fun! Nothing to be too scared about. They aren't the richer/deeper colors like Royal Blue or something. So when you dip clothes in these colors they don't really turn color right away. You can leave them in for a while, check them, leave them in for a while, assume they're good...go rinse and wash them, dry them etc and find out they aren't dyed enough and then back into the pot.

I've died a few things now, a couple Ghostbusters jumpsuits, belts etc.

The listing for the pants said Lux cotton stretch fabric so I believe that means cotton with spandex. A couple of those pics look like twill though sorta.