Could anyone please help me identify this type of leather?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Could anyone please help me identify this type of leather?

Post by SFGiant »

...based on description alone?

Woo this is going to be a tough one. Maybe on a very off chance you might have seen the same jacket. But any kind of "hints" would be appreciated.

This was 13-14-15 years ago, before the age of smart phones and well me being smart enough to get more details.

I was shopping at Downtown Disney one time we went to Disneyland. There was a store - it didn't seem like your usual corporate owned store - that seemed to have some military/Air Force stuff, so I want to say it was probably an A-2.

Here's what I remember:

It was a medium colored brown. It had a vintage look and texture to it, but was brand new. It was SUPER SUPER soft and smooth to the touch. Like both soft and surface-smooth. There didn't seem to be a texture in the way that my goatskin jacket or tougher cowhides do. It was smooth in a reflective way. It didn't seem as wrinkly or foldable as a lambskin jacket. It didn't seem familiar to me compared to other leathers I had seen so I assumed it was horsehide or something exotic but then I read that horsehide is tough and not soft or smooth?

The next time I went the store was gone. Downtown Disney became something much more...fashiony/mainstream? This seemed not so brand name of a store.

Man this is a toughie. Any help is appreciated.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Could anyone please help me identify this type of leather?

Post by Tibor »

Deerskin maybe?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. My vote deerskin. That’s what one of my first prototype Expeditions was made from.

Wonderfully soft leather, but we discovered when it warmed up due to body temperature, the leather stretched! My sleeves actually stretched out up to 2 inches in length when worn! When it cooled down on a hanger, it returned to regular length.

G&B eliminated that leather from their lineup.

Anywhere, sounds like deerskin to me too..

Regards! Michaelson
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I love well made deer skin gloves. Didn’t realize leather jackets got made from it. Hadn’t seen it on Wested etc.

Thanks all!
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

So I’ve been reading about leathers a lot and I can rule out horsehide. Wested’s predistressed lamb looks like it could match.

I’m wondering about Horse hide now that I know how to describe leather better. I know Aero horse will be stiff, but is it soft/smooth to the touch (if you were to brush your fingers along the surface) or coarse like a basketball?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Wested’s Pre-distressed lamb color has been all over the place, from orange-ish to brown. Definitely check with them before ordering to see what their current batch looks like. When I tried it it was very orange (jacket on the left). I heard a later batch was quite a bit darker.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

That is pretty orange lol.

Sadly I don’t think they’ll give any info about current batches these days. They just refer to their leather guides.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Tibor wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:20 pm Wested’s Pre-distressed lamb color has been all over the place, from orange-ish to brown. Definitely check with them before ordering to see what their current batch looks like. When I tried it it was very orange (jacket on the left). I heard a later batch was quite a bit darker.
What leather is on the jacket on the right? Looks perfect.