Does anyone have information about the Raiders' fedora lining?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Does anyone have information about the Raiders' fedora lining?

Post by SFGiant »

I'm having trouble finding this information. When I buy an HJ in the near future, I'd like to replicate as many details as I can for a hat that would have been delivered to set in 1980. Would that have had a white liner? Champagne liner? A specific logo? Does HJ offer optional logos to match the original 1980 version?

Thank you
craigjohn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Does anyone have information about the Raiders' fedora lining?

Post by craigjohn »

HJ said the hat delivered had a liner that was colored somwehere between the current champaign and current white colors - so a light champaign. Logo wise? I'm asking the same question - however, I noticed this in the Last Crusade...

Photo from the inside liner of the TOD hat, as seen on the RPF. Nadoolman has stated the hats were delivered with delivered with liners - but not entirely sure which color.

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

craigjohn wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:45 pm HJ said the hat delivered had a liner that was colored somwehere between the current champaign and current white colors - so a light champaign. Logo wise? I'm asking the same question - however, I noticed this in the Last Crusade...

Photo from the inside liner of the TOD hat, as seen on the RPF. Nadoolman has stated the hats were delivered with delivered with liners - but not entirely sure which color.

Yeah the ToD liner definitely looks a champagne gold. The current HJ champagne looks totally different though or am I wrong?

But in The Last Crusade the liner looks white, right? So white wouldn't technically be wrong if I got a white liner?
craigjohn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by craigjohn »

SFGiant wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:51 pm
craigjohn wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:45 pm HJ said the hat delivered had a liner that was colored somwehere between the current champaign and current white colors - so a light champaign. Logo wise? I'm asking the same question - however, I noticed this in the Last Crusade...

Yeah the ToD liner definitely looks a champagne gold. The current HJ champagne looks totally different though or am I wrong?

But in The Last Crusade the liner looks white, right? So white wouldn't technically be wrong if I got a white liner?

The Last Crusade had both a darker champaign color liner with a red logo (at Walter Donovan's house) and a white color liner with a gold logo (on the edge of the cliff), when the hat blows back into the frame.
craigjohn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by craigjohn »

Received a message from Mel:

In regards to your enquiry, yes as you have seen, HJ like many other brands regularly change and update their hat materials and components over time, this is normal practice and there my also be instances where there is an overlapping period between different designs of certain components being in use at the same time, as seen in the hats from the IJ movies.

The brand has used a multitude of different lining designs and logos since its founding in 1889. These are often printed with the current shop address and can be a rudimentary method of aging the hat. When HJ would move toa new shop location or when the brand wished to update it's logo design or component supplier, new liner options would be designed and brought into circulation in their hats.

Today, when our team rebooted the brand back in 2016, we looked back at the staggering succession of different logo designs the brand has held over the years and created our updated design based on some of these. Moving back to our traditional colours of navy/platinum for Civilian headwear and burgundy/gold for our Military headwear. The new logo was also fitted with our new shop address. Of course, this process of redesign is on going and we chose to move away from the old style satin liners once used by the brand as these have been found to degrade quickly so the liners we use now are of the highest quality.

In terms of reinstating the logos and liners used in the original Indy hats, I hope you now understand why this is neither a possibility or desirable option. The quality of our products we craft and supply to our clients is of paramount importance and thus we now only offer the gery highest quality components available. In terms of the logos, it is not permitted by law to install any outdated components (including old or reprinted company logos) into new products as the address/year info contained on them does not represent our current shop. As liner logos are also often used as an aging tool for auctioning vintage HJ hats, to use an old style logo in a modern product would open this up to possible fraud. Therefore, I hope you understand why we have made the choices we have in favour of clarity and quality of our current products.

Thank you for your enquiry and I hope this information is useful.

Best wishes,

Mel

This makes sense in some ways, and I can’t fault them for differentiating modern consumer hats from vintage (historical) movie props for auction houses.

I’d still love them to offer a platinum colored logo on a white liner, or lighter Champaign. Or a red colored logo on the Champaign liner.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I like the idea of their new liner and logo as it frees me up about worrying about it having to be EXACTLY like the one used on the original movies AND because it represents the newest era of HJ which seems to be possibly their best with a great hatter.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Didn’t the Raider’s hat have no liner, or was it simply lost between filming and when it showed up for auction a couple years ago?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Hobbit Fedora wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:52 pm Didn’t the Raider’s hat have no liner, or was it simply lost between filming and when it showed up for auction a couple years ago?
Just because there was nothing in the auction hat does not guarantee there wasn’t one on set. My best guess is that it was taken out over the years.