My Holy Grail Alden Indy Boots - Chose Wisely for Once!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My Holy Grail Alden Indy Boots - Chose Wisely for Once!

Post by Chose Poorly »

I recently managed to acquire what I consider as close as I'll ever get to the perfect pair of Alden Indy boots. I have a pair of 403s which I wear almost every day, but I've always wanted to add a pair of 405s to my collection as well for something a little more screen accurate in color. I've tried a few, and between struggling to find used 405s in my size, and having tons of QC issues with brand new, exorbitantly priced pairs ordered directly from Alden, I was getting pretty close to throwing in the flannel shoe bag. Too much work for shoes that aren't really the right color anyway.

As we all know, original 405s from the 1970s-80s are pretty much non-existent at this point, but as some in the past have pointed out, the recently discontinued Natural Chromexcel (40557H) color gets incredibly close after aging and darkening over time. I got lucky last week and happened to catch a second hand pair posted for sale in a 10.5D, and though I typically wear a 10.5C, I thought the minor size discrepancy might be worth a shot because these boots looked INCREDIBLE in the listing photos.

And boy oh boy am I glad I did. Not only do they fit perfectly (gotta love the sizing fluctuations in handmade footwear), but take a look at these puppies!!

https://imgur.com/a/39kl24u

They're not perfect, but they're pretty darn close, and I am thrilled. Artifact found. Expedition complete. \:D/
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Holy Grail Alden Indy Boots - Chose Wisely for Once!

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That is a great looking pair of boots! Congrats on your find.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

You scored! Those look great and almost new!
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:You scored! Those look great and almost new!
I was also surprised by the condition, especially for a pair with the white throat stitching which means they are on the older side. I would guess August 2013 based on the condition, serial number, and leather lining. So they were well taken care of and/or not worn much.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Wow! Those are nice. I have always wanted to see about getting a pair of those. I shall keep up my search...
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

They are a much better color than the current standard brown, which is practically orange in color. I had my eyes on some years ago and didn't pull the trigger because I kept thinking they'd keep making it and eventually and I have too many boots that shade already, etc. Then they stopped making them.

Alden's current lineup favors some pretty dark leathers. Is this a current style thing and medium to lighter brown isn't in right now? I don't mind dark at all; my primary Aldens atm are my Color 8s (being from Chicago myself, it's a pride thing) and the kudus Alden made for J Crew (I like the 360 welt). But when they come out with another lighter shade, I'm first in line.

And what is going on with Alden's QC lately? A lot of bad welting and stitching and crooked heel rands, etc, are coming out of the factory.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Illinois_Jones wrote:They are a much better color than the current standard brown, which is practically orange in color. I had my eyes on some years ago and didn't pull the trigger because I kept thinking they'd keep making it and eventually and I have too many boots that shade already, etc. Then they stopped making them.

Alden's current lineup favors some pretty dark leathers. Is this a current style thing and medium to lighter brown isn't in right now? I don't mind dark at all; my primary Aldens atm are my Color 8s (being from Chicago myself, it's a pride thing) and the kudus Alden made for J Crew (I like the 360 welt). But when they come out with another lighter shade, I'm first in line.

And what is going on with Alden's QC lately? A lot of bad welting and stitching and crooked heel rands, etc, are coming out of the factory.
You wouldn’t believe what I went through across 3-4 pairs ordered directly from Alden. I ultimately sent the last pair back for a full refund and gave up.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Chose Poorly wrote:
Illinois_Jones wrote:They are a much better color than the current standard brown, which is practically orange in color. I had my eyes on some years ago and didn't pull the trigger because I kept thinking they'd keep making it and eventually and I have too many boots that shade already, etc. Then they stopped making them.

You wouldn’t believe what I went through across 3-4 pairs ordered directly from Alden. I ultimately sent the last pair back for a full refund and gave up.
You could say that again. Before the pandemic I bought a pair of their cordovan Ravello captoes to give my beloved Florsheim Imperials a break, and what I got when they arrived was not worthy of the Alden name nor the $1,000+ pricetag. The welt was a disaster -- like the stitcher went off the welt and then back on again. The eyelets were not pressed right, like they pushed too hard and the edge crimped back over and it was sharp. And one of them I swear the sole was put on crooked. Needless to say, Alden was not very receptive to fixing the problems. I loved the leather and look anyway, so I wound up paying $200 more for a cobbler to do a full refurbishment on brand new shoes.

And I've seen *a lot* of issues with the Indy boots lately in the community.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Lovely pair of boots, great find :tup: :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I just scooped up a pair of these on the bay. My Indy boot chase has come to a close. I'm in love with these things...

Won these for $193 and they are in better shape than the photos show. \:D/
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Great color and canvas lining!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Dang, Hollowpond, that is a nice find and great deal, congrats! The pair looks really good. :clap:

Cheers,
Bear
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

IndianaJustin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:34 pm Great color and canvas lining!
The lining is actually glove leather.

Thanks guys! I'm super pumped. Now I've just got to learn how to walk without continually looking at my feet.. :lol:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Nah, you just have to learn to walk WHILE continuously looking at your feet! :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Hollowpond wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:57 am

Thanks guys! I'm super pumped. Now I've just got to learn how to walk without continually looking at my feet.. :lol:
What an interesting color of glove leather. I can't see as well anymore so they looked like the old canvas. Thanks
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Hollowpond wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:57 am

Yes, that's the hard part. :D
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Hollowpond wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:12 pm I just scooped up a pair of these on the bay. My Indy boot chase has come to a close. I'm in love with these things...
Won these for $193 and they are in better shape than the photos show. \:D/
WOW! What a great find! Congratulations!

Tony