Breaking in a new leather jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Breaking in a new leather jacket

Post by Michaelson »

I don't know if I ever posted this link, but found it very helpful in breaking in horse hide jackets.

You may find many of these suggestions helpful too, especially if you get a new jacket that seems a bit 'tight' on first blush. Most of the time they just need 'stretched in' to fit properly.

I've seen a LOT of jackets put up for sale right after purchase because of this tight fit on first try on, when many times the jackets just needed to be properly worked to fit the person.

I used these tips on my HH S&J model 38 that felt a bit snug around the shoulders, and now it fits me perfectly with plenty of room for movement in the locations required.

Just some tips you may want to try if you're still wrestling with a new jacket, especially cowhide, goat skin and horse hide.

https://www.leathercult.com/blog/how-to ... er-jacket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Breaking in a new leather jacket

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Good information there. Chuckled over the advice to avoid soaking a brand new jacket. Keep those new jackets out of the shower! :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep! :lol: [-X

The only one I stumbled across that recommended a good soaking was for really HEAVY horse hide motorcycle jackets that end up form shaping to a persons body and are used as body armor for motorcycle riding.

They recommended sitting in a bathtub to soak, then allowing the jacket to dry on the body was the best way for those heavy weight bad boys!

Wonder how long THAT would take to dry out on a persons body?!! :-k :shock:

Regards! M
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Very good info, M.
Thanks for sharing.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:

Once again, patience is the key.......

Regards! Michaelson
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

That's always been my advice to people inexperienced with leather or only used to department store lambskin when they buy something heavier: just wear the darn thing.

I've even been known to zip up a new jacket and start doing a few burpees.

As for conditioning, I usually avoid Pecards or petroleum jelly UNLESS it's on an open, broad piece of leather like the back panel or the elbows of an Indy jacket. I just don't trust petroleum products on the stitching or even lining -- I've never personally seen petroleum jelly eat nylon, though in theory it should, but I have seen it eat rubber and polyurethane. For those tricky spots I actually like to use pure lanolin, and if for some reason I'm worried about the color I use Bick 4.

But that's the gist, and really it's no different than a new pair of boots; keep it conditioned, especially in the places you want to soften, and just wear the heck out of it.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Leather treatments can be controversial. I have put almost every leather jacket I've owned into a front loader washing machine with detergent over the past 30 years - mainly goat, steer and cowhide jackets. Two lambskins. I have never had a problem - no shrinking or tearing. In my experience it makes them fit better and loosens up the hide.

Petroleum jelly is said by some to be a good leather dressing (it is inert chemically) and one of the best artisan manufactures of leather jackets in America, John Chapman of Good Wear Leather recommends it. John says it is similar to Pecards in chemical ingredients and works as well. But of course, with anything like this don't do it or use it if you are anxious....
onhorseback
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by onhorseback »

Michaelson wrote:Yep! :lol: [-X

The only one I stumbled across that recommended a good soaking was for really HEAVY horse hide motorcycle jackets that end up form shaping to a persons body and are used as body armor for motorcycle riding.

They recommended sitting in a bathtub to soak, then allowing the jacket to dry on the body was the best way for those heavy weight bad boys!

Wonder how long THAT would take to dry out on a persons body?!! :-k :shock:

Regards! M
Simply riding long and hard on a motorcycle breaks in leather jackets in a beautiful, natural looking way. Some of the best distressing I've accomplished has involved doing mild enduro with a leather jacket on. You do get some odd looks, though :roll: