Stitching colour protection

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Stitching colour protection

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

I’ve tried variations of words looking for this info, however I’ve not found anything. Apologies if I’ve missed it.

How do you keep the stitching, on the welt and top of your boots, clean / pale / contrasting? I’m assuming the same methods will work across the different makes / versions of boots. If it’s of any help I have the Wested boots. At some point they will need a polish and I don’t want to colour the stitching anywhere on the boots. It’s not an issue I’ve faced before, as any boots / shoes that needed polishing were black.

Do you use clear polish, is there such a thing?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Stitching colour protection

Post by Michaelson »

The old ways was/is Meltonian shoe cream. It does come in neutral, and won't color the threads of your boots if you're just wanting to give you boots a 'polish'.

Regards! Michaelson
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

That’s awesome. Thank you. :TOH:
MaverickFerg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaverickFerg »

Alden actually makes a "neutral" boot cream that works well. Others swear by Bick 4 or Saphir Renovateur (both of which are also neutral).

Here's a link to the Alden boot cream: https://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens- ... m-neutral/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I kind of wonder if this Alden creme may BE Meltonian boot cream but with their label now? A small jar of Meltonian neutral is what they USED to include with every boot purchase back in the 90's and early 2000's. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I painstakingly mask the welt with blue painter's tape only because I use Alden's brown cream on the brick-colored 405s. It takes time, patience, precision and small pieces, but works perfectly if done right.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I've never bothered going through all that myself. It's waxed cotton thread, so unless they're really frayed, I've never experienced the thread taking the color of the polish to date. :-k

Regards! M
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Gotcha. I do it as much for the natural welt too. I'm not coordinated enough to keep the polish off of it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Try doing it wearing BIFOCALS! :roll: ;)

Regards! M
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I'm not far behind ya, M! :[
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

;)