Which Hatters Out There Will Offer Open Crown Lids?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Which Hatters Out There Will Offer Open Crown Lids?

Post by Arch Stanton »

I have been going through this forum ad nauseam looking for something beyond my Federation IV Deluxe, which I love dearly. I am just interested in something hand-made to see what the fuss is about. But none of the "premium" hatters seem to offer open crown hats on their websites. Can somebody point me in the right direction?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Which Hatters Out There Will Offer Open Crown Lids?

Post by IJJTM »

Herbert Johnson openly posts about their open crown hats. The only hatter I can think of that doesn’t offer open crown is Penman.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Penman is the only one I know of who explicitly won't send an open crown hat. I know Advintage and Brian at Screencapped will but prefer not to, but that's mostly because of the finishing treatment they like to use after creasing it. And I imagine S&J will if you really want to, but Roberto probably prefers to bash it given the screen accuracy thing. HJ is the only one I know that offers it without asking specifically.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Yeah, Penman is actually the one I explicitly asked about it a while back. So maybe my frame of reference is askew due to that. I just find it odd that there is no open crown option on many sites. I'm just looking for the most squared away open crown and don't see it offered much of anywhere. Thank you for your response. Maybe I should just be cool with what I have. I have looked at many hats that Holt has posted on here, and he seems to work magic with a Fed IV.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

AdVintage will sell you an open-crown hat.

Although, I'd imagine most if not all the custom hatters offering us such a great choice of Indy hats would sell an open-crown hat, if that's what the customer asked for. It saves the hat maker some time and work.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Do Akubra sell all their hats opened crowned, or just the Indy ones? :-k
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I would greatly prefer open crown as I think shaping the hat is fun and a great way to make the hat your own. Also, you can put in the Raiders turn to your own liking. Of course, it does take some experience.