Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Wested update-custom orders

Post by Tibor »

From their facebook page:

Wested Leather Co
Yesterday at 7:52 AM ·
WESTED UPDATE.
It is with great regret that we have to inform everyone that due to a huge Covid-19 outbreak in London the factory is now struggling due to staff issues and we have made the decision to pull all Custom Made jackets down from the website for the time being.
We state on the website that all custom made jackets can take up to 21 days and sometimes longer and any new orders will now be at the top end of this timescale.
We apologise to all our customers and confirm that any orders already placed will be honoured and completed as soon as possible.
We hope to be back to normal as quickly as we can but please bear with us in these very trying times and it looks like the whole country maybe going into Lockdown yet again very soon.
As always we are here to answer any questions you may have and we hope you all stay safe and keep well in these horrible times.
The Wested Team.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Wested update

Post by tubasthebest »

This is unfortunate. Thanks for the update.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I think it's also possible that they were flooded with a huge surge of orders for the legacy IJ jackets in a 48 hour period and they needed to close the flood gates for a while.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

I think the assumption by xmasters that they suddenly got a big surge of orders with the Legacy jacket is almost certainly the reason why they've put a halt on custom work. Very wise too, over the last decade or two over on VLJ and TFL there's been quite a few vintage clothing makers who opened the floodgates and got swamped in orders resulting in massively blown out wait times which in more than one occasion eventually led to bad feeling, complaints, refund demands, threats and in a couple of cases even, the makers going belly up.

I'd imagine that like they say Wested are operating at reduced staff levels so very good of them to hold off the custom stuff and reduce the workload for the time being until the situation changes.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I guess that could be the case, but I don’t understand why they would say it was due to covid constrictions if it were.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

IJJTM wrote:I guess that could be the case, but I don’t understand why they would say it was due to covid constrictions if it were.
A lot of businesses in the UK are operating under conditions which have been limited by CV - and especially reduced numbers of workers in the same workspace at the same time for example. I'd imagine that's probably what they mean. So due to constrictions on how they can operate due to CV they are operating under reduced production capability.

Hopefully as spring arrives and the vaccination plan in the UK becomes more deeply implemented, that will mean more bums on seats at Wested and they'll be able to ramp up production again, and things like custom orders, the Legacy jackets will come back.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yes, reduced workforce because of restrictions. And London is very bad at the moment. It's estimated that 1 in 15 people has covid there.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Wested is back with custom orders now.