My Wested Indy Bag… a total loss, looking for alternatives

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

WhteRbt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

My Wested Indy Bag… a total loss, looking for alternatives

Post by WhteRbt »

Hello guys,

a few days ago, I posted a picture of my gas mask bag which had a teared fabric right from the start… as shipping the item back to England and back to me would cost nearly the same than just purchasing a second bag in the future, I kept it - and cleaned it today (by hand, to get rid of the smell). Well, good intensions, but bad mistake. The bag is absolutely dry-rotted… it ripped apart while I was cleaning it (softly). OK, better now than in the field, as I know now that this bag is not reliable. I now have three visible tears which I need to repair and the complete interior compartment ist teared apart.

To be honest, I consider this bag a total loss - I will try to fix it as good as I can („in the field repair“), but I will not wear it and just use it as a prop piece for my shelf. Maybe I should try my best with some hot Sankara Stones… ;)

Any opinions about the Magnoli replica bag? I just want a nice, reliable bag which can be used for my own kind of gear, like smartphone and something to drink… I am not a stich counter so it would be okay for me if there are some small differences in detail… it should just hold and not rip apart…

And…any other ideas what do to with my old bag? :D

Best regards

Marcel
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: My Wested Indy Bag… a total loss, looking for alternativ

Post by Smithy »

WPG do a replica Mk.VII bag. I don't have one but have bought quite a few things from them over the years and they're usually pretty good and especially for equipment repops.
WhteRbt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WhteRbt »

Oh, okay, so we have WPG and Magnoli… I should check out the shipping costs of both :D
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

In 2015 Peter let me flip through his entire stock of over five hundred so I could pick two I liked the most. Some were in new and very strong condition but a few were questionable.

These two have been used on many a hike and adventure. But in future it may be better to also have a repro just in case!

WhteRbt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WhteRbt »

Yeah, this looks good - I just don't had luck, but that's okay for me, I don't blame them… I saved a lot during the Black Friday sale and with the Super Combo, so I will just use the old bag as a display piece for my shelf, stuffed with foam or something. The leather strap was included with the bag, so I will save that for the new bag…

I think I will went with the Magnoli bag which can be shipped for just $ 10 (3-4 weeks) from New Zealand, which seems like a nice deal. Benefit: This bag can be used daily… this is a great plus.

Best regards

Marcel
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Smithy wrote:WPG do a replica Mk.VII bag. I don't have one but have bought quite a few things from them over the years and they're usually pretty good and especially for equipment repops.
I've had the same WPG bag since 2003, and it's still performing perfectly. There's a data point for you.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Something to consider with a Magnoli bag, he has a "modern interior layout" option that's better suited for daily carry.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

What Jeff said above... go with our replica bag with modern layout as there is a pocket for cell phone, etc. Sounds like just what you need! :TOH:

https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/britis ... -p-66.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Indy Magnoli wrote:What Jeff said above... go with our replica bag with modern layout as there is a pocket for cell phone, etc. Sounds like just what you need! :TOH:

https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/britis ... -p-66.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whoa! I didn't know this was a thing. That is very cool. :TOH:
WhteRbt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WhteRbt »

@Indy Magnoli: I think I will! I am very interested to get known if my huge iPhone Xs Max will fit your pocket. ;) Indy meets Technology! :)

I have to send an email because I have to pay with PayPal, please just give me a few days. :) Thanks a lot!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Michaelson wrote:
Smithy wrote:WPG do a replica Mk.VII bag. I don't have one but have bought quite a few things from them over the years and they're usually pretty good and especially for equipment repops.
I've had the same WPG bag since 2003, and it's still performing perfectly. There's a data point for you.

Regards! Michaelson
Ditto, also from 2002-2003
WhteRbt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WhteRbt »

OK, Magnoli now, WPG next year… you can never have enough bags, isn't it? ;)
WhteRbt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WhteRbt »

Just a quick question: The bag strap from Magnoli – brown with buckle is accurate for Raiders, dark brown with roller is accurate for all other movies, right?

I have a brown strap made my Wested – but it seems not the strongest in the world, I already have a few cracks in the "top coat“ of the leather (which seems to be good as the strap should not look new, I am right? ;))…
strap_cracks.jpg
So the point is, I am thinking about to get a second one, and the roller seems a good choice for daily usage…

And some news: The old bag isn't a total loss as described. It looks very good with the strap attached… it will be ok for cosplay for sure, I try to enforce the broken areas and call it a day… :)

Best regards

Marcel
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

It's tough to beat Make It Jones for straps or, frankly any of David's work.

http://www.makeitjones.co.uk/indiana-jo ... bag-straps
WhteRbt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WhteRbt »

That's a great advice, thank you! And England… which is very interesting because of no custom fees (till the end of the year ;)). Will check it out! :)
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

I just wanted to say thanks for the Make It Jones link, awesome stuff!