What are the 'rules'?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What are the 'rules'?

Post by mr_alex »

I just placed an pre-order for Todd's Raiders PFC gun replica. Now I'm wondering if/when it will ever see the light of day once I actually get it. Given it's a cap gun, and has an orange tip, is it technically legal to bring this anywhere? What are allowed at conventions, etc? As a new IJ 'gun' owner, what are the rules? What do I need to know?
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What are the 'rules'?

Post by zeus36 »

Starting back in 2012 with the Dark Knight Rises Colorado shooting, followed with Star Wars in 2015, then with the movie "Joker" coming out as well as the 2018 remake of the Halloween movie, theaters started banning masks that concealed your whole face and props that looked like weapons. That started a movement followed by conventions and cosplay gatherings to enact similar bans or just more restrictions as to what is allowed, what is inspected, and what is not getting through the doors.

It's up to the individual outfit holding the convention or gathering to set policy.

Then the are the individual state laws, plus local ordinances. It would be tough to give you a specific answer as it depends on where you live or where you want to carry the prop. You'll have to contact the event and ask or check their website for the policy.

My explanation would go like this: Geeze, I bought this 20 years ago before all these restrictions were in place, I didn't see any signs.... let me take it back to my car......
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

When it comes to guns, the more realistic it looks, the less you want to carry it. Most cons ban anything that can or used to fire a proectile. Some say no moving parts.

Personally, unless it's really obvious (like a sci-fi gun), I only bring it to small personal gatherings. Better safe than sorry.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:When it comes to guns, the more realistic it looks, the less you want to carry it. Most cons ban anything that can or used to fire a proectile. Some say no moving parts.

Personally, unless it's really obvious (like a sci-fi gun), I only bring it to small personal gatherings. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks, this makes sense. Before ordering this I'd been going around with a wooden rubber band gun in my Indy holster - which I liked because it's not threatening at all, and I think a little funny. But I've been on a tear of updating my gear, and I might have gotten a little carried away ordering a $300 gun that I can't actually take anywhere.

Is it usually the same rule of thumb for Indy's whip? It's still a weapon that could do some damage. Is that easier to get away with at cons? Or is that another part of the gear that doesn't really leave the house?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Whips generally are easier at cons, but again rules will vary. I've been to cons where they don't give the whip a second look, and others where you have to check in at the "weapons table" and they will put a zip tie on the whip so it stays coiled. Other cons the whip will have to be zip tied to the belt.

In terms of the gun from Todd's, other members have carried these guns to cons and as long as they are inspected and tagged, they've been OK, your results may vary. The general rule is any weapon that fires a projectile must be deactivated. Technically these guns don't shoot a projectile, but are more than static props. For cons I would default to a solid resin model. I've never had a problem with that. Or I've gone with an empty holster. No one can really tell anyway.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

This is good I tell.

I’ve been considering making one out of wood, so while the grip part will look correct (I have a spare set of grips that came with a original) the rest will be flat and non-decrypt. Heck I’ll even paint the barrel area orange just to be safe.

And one of these there’ll even be a con to go to. [-o<

Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Here's a really old thread with a con safe option. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=wood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I usually email the event organizers about the whips. So far, I have never had an issue. The only place that says "no" is the Ren Faire. Zip tie it, and everything should be fine.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thank you Indiana Jeff. I think this is where I gotten the idea. But was it really that long ago.
Wow, time fly’s when your having fun.

Thanks again for sharing this

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Indiana Croft wrote:Thank you Indiana Jeff. I think this is where I gotten the idea. But was it really that long ago.
Wow, time fly’s when your having fun.

Thanks again for sharing this

Oh, yeah - those are great! The ones I've been using are more like these. They do a pretty decent job filling out the holster and I imagine you can stain and paint them to look more serious if you wanted to!

Indy's 2nd Raiders gun:
https://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Precisio ... MK4QMRR15X

Indy pistol options:
https://www.amazon.com/RoWood-Wooden-Pu ... es&sr=1-18

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Rubber-Band ... mes&sr=1-2
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

It used to be one could get into a show with a Denix replica- be it a Webley, M-1 Carbine or a Thompson. These days not so much. (A couple years ago I took my Denix Webley to a deputy at Heroes Con and showed it to him. This guy holds it, inspects it and looks at me and says, "This is a real gun!" I was able to convince him otherwise, but since then, I haven't risked taking that gun anywhere but closed events like photoshoots. To save time, most places are now saying NO metal parts, and NO moving parts or parts that were intended to move. In some cases this even includes NERF or a toy gun with a removable part (scope or magazine). Fortunately, a generous soul here on COW gifted me a resin cast S&W that is my go-to piece right now.
The whip has given me much less drama. I think it has gotten inspected once, and has yet to be zip tied, though I am sure it will happen one day.