Is my LC too short?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Is my LC too short?

Post by Hammerklavier »

I forgot the front does rise up when order the jacket. (By the way, is the front rise up screen accurate?)
Let me know what you guys think? If it's too short, how many inches should I add?

Thanks!
https://imgur.com/a/M0eLzpR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Is my LC too short?

Post by CM »

This is hard to do with a photo.

It seems an inch too short but your jeans seem pretty low rise. That doesn't help. How long is the back of this jacket? Measure from the base of the collar to the end of the hem. In my experience, if you are between 5 ft 11 and 6 ft 2 you need a back length of 26 to 27 inches. Jacket patterns will certainly measure shorter at front than at the back - that is how tailoring patterns work. I am six two, I generally find that a front length of 23 to 24 inches works for me. Measured from from the zip start at the collar to the end hem.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Thanks.
It's a mid rise jean. The back length is 24.5, the storm flap length is 21, I am 6 ft.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yes, if you're planning on wearing it with those kind of pants. Ford's back length on the actual film jacket was 25.5, but he was wearing vintage style pants. But a Wested LC -- whether standard or Hero -- will generally sit higher thanks to the shoulders. You *might* be able to get it to hang lower with time and wear, but an extra inch is a lot to ask.

My general rule with Wested is with a custom sized Raiders go 1" shorter than what they list for that size in standard OTR jackets, and for a Raiders Hero go another 1-1.5 inches shorter than that depending on your height. And for an LC, whether standard or Hero, go .5" longer than your custom Raiders size. But everyone is different.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Hammerklavier wrote:If it's too short, how many inches should I add?

Thanks!
1 inch.

As a rule of thumb add half inch" more than you need. I think wested mention this somewhere on their site.

If I were you I would order 26" to be safe.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Thanks, 25.5 inches for LC, 26 for CS.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It's better to be a little too long than a little too short, in my experience.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hammerklavier wrote:Thanks.
It's a mid rise jean. The back length is 24.5, the storm flap length is 21, I am 6 ft.
Yep. You need a jacket that is an inch or two longer at the back.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

xmasters wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:If it's too short, how many inches should I add?

Thanks!
1 inch.

As a rule of thumb add half inch" more than you need. I think wested mention this somewhere on their site.

If I were you I would order 26" to be safe.
Agree. A hand crafted item is generally built to half inch tolerances.

Harrison's trousers are not a period fit - they are a full mid-rise. Actual trousers from that period would come up past the belly button and look vastly different and require a much shorter jacket.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

My rule of thumb is the Indy Jackets need to be a couple inches below the belt. Modern jeans and most pants sit way lower than the pants guys wore back in the day.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Agree with above statements. I shoot for the bottom hem of the jacket to sit about an inch or so below the belt buckle.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

I'll play devil's advocate here and say while it's on the shorter side of where you wear your pants, I still think it looks like a fine jacket.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

marker2037 wrote:I'll play devil's advocate here and say while it's on the shorter side of where you wear your pants, I still think it looks like a fine jacket.
I agree! Start wearing high-waisted trousers and that jacket will look fantastic.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Funny. I went through the same issue with the only LC I own, also from Wested. I spent time staring at the movie, trying to see what it looks like on Ford. I agree, the original poster probably just needs to pull his pants up higher. I can't. But, anyway. From what I could see on the screen, the LC jacket seemed about like what this original poster has in his picture. The jacket in the castle scenes was the one I typically looked at and when I would sit down, I'd notice my short LC jacket was ending pretty much where it ended up on Ford during the scene where he and Sean Connery are tied together in those chairs.