Hat Sizing

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Hat Sizing

Post by IJJTM »

I´m planning on getting a new Raiders hat and I was wondering how I should size it. I currently have a Penman everyman that´s a size 58, which according to my numerous self-measurements should be my size, but ever since I´ve gotten it, the hat has felt tight on my head. I am not sure if this is common in other Penman Everymans or what and was wondering if I should try getting a size 59. The way I see it is that if the hat is a little big then I can just fold the inner band which is what I´ve heard Harrison Ford had to do on Raiders. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Re: Hat Sizing

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Measure your head. A 58 is right at 22 3/4”

If your head is bigger than that you could consider a reblock rather than buying a replacement.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:Measure your head. A 58 is right at 22 3/4”

If your head is bigger than that you could consider a reblock rather than buying a replacement.
I plan on getting a new hat either way and I want to experience another vendor, I still love my current hat, but I just want to try something new.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

IJJTM wrote:I´m planning on getting a new Raiders hat and I was wondering how I should size it. I currently have a Penman everyman that´s a size 58, which according to my numerous self-measurements should be my size, but ever since I´ve gotten it, the hat has felt tight on my head. I am not sure if this is common in other Penman Everymans or what and was wondering if I should try getting a size 59. The way I see it is that if the hat is a little big then I can just fold the inner band which is what I´ve heard Harrison Ford had to do on Raiders. Do you guys have any suggestions?
should you ever consider getting rid of the everyman, i'm game (this is right my size and i resolved to only buy second hand hats since my younger daughter convinced me to go veggie)
cheers !
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

IJJTM wrote:
Ridgerunner58 wrote:Measure your head. A 58 is right at 22 3/4”

I plan on getting a new hat either way and I want to experience another vendor, I still love my current hat, but I just want to try something new.
If you've narrowed down your choices to a few hatters, it may be worth emailing and asking them individually for their recommendations on how to measure your head and order the size that fits.

It's sometimes tough to measure your own head accurately. But good hatters want their customers to be satisfied, so they're likely to help a potential buyer get it right.

Here's a video from a reputable hat retailer with measuring tips -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3dnu2D8kWE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Be mindful too that a ready-made hat will have more variation in the sizing than a custom hat will.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

It's not out of the realm of possibility that a factory hat is slightly off on sizing.

Does your current hat feel tight all around? Or does it feel tight on the front and back? Side to side? If it feels tight front to back and there's space on the sides, that's indicative that you need a long oval b!ock.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just my two cents, but if your intrested in trying another vender, try adVintage.
bought a ToD and asked for a slight turn and it came out a beaut.

But he’s in contact with you and get’s it right. And lead time not to bad.
Or Try Penman if you have the time, he’ll have you measure your head, then he sends you a tape that’s set to your demension, and if it fit’s, so won’t your hat when it arrives. And after that, anytime you order a hat, he already has your size.
Love my two Penmans

Croft :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indiana Croft on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

When I bought my Fed IV, everyone here told me to include a note indicating how I was going to use the hat (everyday, as a bad weather hat, as a shelf piece, whatever) and things to consider in sizing. I sent them a note indicating I wanted to bash the hat into an Indy style and wear it all the time, and I told them I have a thick head of hair that grows quickly and I am not a fan of severe "hat head." The ladies their selected a hat for me- my "size" is a 58-59 cm, but the hat they selected was marked a 61. It fit perfectly- it doesn't make my hair look weird after wearing it, but it is snug enough that a stiff breeze will not budge it from my head. The point is- the more information you are willing to share with the maker- whoever they are- the better they can do in finding just what you need.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I´m going to London in April, and I plan to get sized at the Herbert Johnson shop, and I should be getting a hat there, or at least order one if they don´t have one in my size.
Harold Steele
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Harold Steele »

I’m considering ordering a Raiders or Crusade hat from Herbert Johnson or another shop. I went to two local hat shops where I regularly buy off-the-rack hats and had them measure me. Both independently said my head size was 60 cm. One of them gave my size in inches as 23.75. Do I have what I need to place an order or do the hat makers need additional measurements? First time ordering a custom hat. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Harold Steele wrote:I’m considering ordering a Raiders or Crusade hat from Herbert Johnson or another shop. I went to two local hat shops where I regularly buy off-the-rack hats and had them measure me. Both independently said my head size was 60 cm. One of them gave my size in inches as 23.75. Do I have what I need to place an order or do the hat makers need additional measurements? First time ordering a custom hat. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only other measurement I could think of is what head type you have, like get someone to take a picture of the top of your head and see if you´re more ovular or circular.
    Castor Dioscuri
    Expeditionary Hero
    Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Depends on who you're ordering from. As far as an Indy lid is concerned, most hatters only need the measurements you already have, since most fans want the shape and dimensions to be a perfect match to the screen worn fedora, obviously with the exception of circumference.

However, if you're more lax with accuracy and want to go with a hatter that can and will personalize the hat to you, headshape comes in to play. For example, oval, round oval, wide oval, etc... This determines the overall shape of the crown, and makes for a more flattering and comfortable hat. For that, you likely could just take photos of your head from several angles (front, side, top down, etc), and they'll tell you what your headshape is.

And then for some hatters, if you want to get precise, they also use a conformateur, which looks like that thing Rick Moranis wore on his head in Ghostbusters. This is used to get the exact shape of your head down to the smallest indentation.

Long story short though, for the majority of Indy hats I've gotten, I've only been asked for my circumference, so you should be golden. I mean, it is possible that your chosen hatmaker will ask you for photos, but this shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

Most importantly of all, just remember to measure, re-measure, and re-measure your head a few times just to make sure the measurement you're giving your hatter isn't a fluke.