Wested and WPG shirt and trouser questions

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wested and WPG shirt and trouser questions

Post by marker2037 »

Hello guys, I am brand new to the forum here and I am looking into putting together a Raiders outfit for myself. I have some questions on your experience with either Wested or WPG in the shirt and trousers.

Which do you feel is the most accurate to Raiders Indy?

Let's start off with shirts....

For sizing, my best fitting shirts (from spierandmackay.com) are as follows:

Neck Fits Chest Fits Waist Chest Waist Shoulder Sleeve Length
16 1/2 43 38 45.5 41.5 19.25 36.0 31.0

Admittedly, these are more tailored, fitted shirts and I don't expect either the Wested of WPG to match the fit, but I don't want an overly boxy shirt either.

When I look at the WPG size chart, the M-L seems to be the shirt that matches best to the above measurements I wear, except for the 15.5 neck. I won't ever close the top button(s) so I'm not sure if that measurement matters though. The 16.5 neck size L seems like it would be a very boxy fit since the chest and waist are significantly bigger than what I typically wear.

As for Wested, I don't get their sizing chart entirely. They list a Medium as a 42 Chest with 16.75" neck and a Large as a 44 Chest, but with a 17.5" neck. I don't know whether the Chest measurements they list are measurements of the actual shirt or of a person's chest who should be wearing that size. I typically wear a 42R in jackets and have a 42" chest so I'm really confused by their size chart.

Onto trousers....

Which is the better quality? Are the WPG trousers a cavalry twill wool like the Wested?

Which is the best fitting?

I think I have the Wested sizing sorted out (I wear a 36 in almost all trousers I buy, only a few brands slightly smaller, but nothing larger.
But for these it seems a 38 is the correct size I need based on what they want us to measure on a good fitting trouser we already own. I can always take in the waist with a tailor if I have to).

The 2019 lightweight WPGs don't have a size chart so I assume I just go for the 36 size???

Sorry for the long first post :whip:

Brian

P.S. I have a few items I've started to collect already like the gun belt, holster, whip holder, web belt from Todd's and a customer Raiders fedora from Mike at Northwest Hats.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Wested and WPG shirt and trouser questions

Post by marker2037 »

Not that I've gotten any help in this area, but WPG emailed me back saying their pants are a poly and wool blend, similar to cavalry twill.

With that info, I decided to give the Wested offerings a shot as I am not a fan of anything polyester. I ordered a 38, one size up from my typical 36.

I will however likely order the WPG shirt before Christmas. I like the look of that one more than the more khaki, large buttoned Wested shirt. Still debating on sizing on that one, but I think the Medium will be the way to go for me.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

WPG has changed their fit a few times, so you're bound to get a variety of answers. I wear a 34-35 sleeve, and I found the Medium Tall excessively long in body and arms. I think today I'd opt for a Small, and I wear a 15 neck 34 sleeve.

To get a GREAT fitting shirt, be sure to hit up a tailor who can take in the sleeves and body of a shirt (shorten the sleeves a little too). You'll also need to find a tailor who can do a "military" hem on the Wested pants, as they come unfinished. You don't have to do this style of hem, but it's SA for the pant, and if you're already hemming the pants, might as well go all the way. If you ask around and nobody knows how to do it, talk to local WW2 reenactors and they'll let you know who tailors their stuff which all had that style of hemming.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Adventure Dog wrote:WPG has changed their fit a few times, so you're bound to get a variety of answers. I wear a 34-35 sleeve, and I found the Medium Tall excessively long in body and arms. I think today I'd opt for a Small, and I wear a 15 neck 34 sleeve.

To get a GREAT fitting shirt, be sure to hit up a tailor who can take in the sleeves and body of a shirt (shorten the sleeves a little too). You'll also need to find a tailor who can do a "military" hem on the Wested pants, as they come unfinished. You don't have to do this style of hem, but it's SA for the pant, and if you're already hemming the pants, might as well go all the way. If you ask around and nobody knows how to do it, talk to local WW2 reenactors and they'll let you know who tailors their stuff which all had that style of hemming.
Thanks Adventure Dog. I've worked with tailors a lot as I tailor pretty much all my clothes. I'm aware of the military hem, but thanks for the reminder.

Like I said, I'll likely go for the medium size in the WPG shirt as those specs line up pretty accurately, minus the neck but that doesn't matter much since it won't be buttoned, with my best fitting shirts I buy.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Can't wait to see your finished gear list! Please post up pictures and a review of the WPG shirt when you get it if you've got time.