How do you display your hats when not wearing them?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

MaverickFerg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

How do you display your hats when not wearing them?

Post by MaverickFerg »

Now that I have added a few Indy hats to my collection, I’m curious to see how everyone displays their hats when you’re not wearing them. Specifically, I’m worried about maintaining the shape and not “stretching” or distorting the sweatband while still displaying them in my collection (as opposed to keeping them safely in a hat box - which is probably the better choice).
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do you display your hats when not wearing them?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Here's a couple of threads to help answer your question.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ilit=sarah" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Garrett
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Garrett »

This is how I store part of my collection

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads ... st-2595629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I've been pretty OCD with how I treated my hat collection (maybe two dozen since 2006), and I've been very careful in reading up as much as I could at the time, and trying to prevent them from decay or becoming moth food. This ended up in my storing most of them for a decade in their hat boxes where most of them sit to this day.

I noticed that on some of the softer dress lids (Indy included), storing them upside down in their hat boxes for years led to the brims losing their shape, becoming warped. I'm sure some steam and home reblocking could fix it up, but still...

HOWEVER.

Lately, I bought a beater hat after moving to the Pacific Northwest. It's a copy of an existing rabbit hat that I love, except in beaver. When I had it made, I decided to try out a hat hook. So far, a month in, I'm starting to think this may be the best method. The brim is still the same shape, and if angled correctly, enough light gets in to hopefully deter pests. Granted it's only been a month, but no issues so far. I'll give it a couple years to see if the hook leaves an indent on the felt, then maybe I'll do the same for my other hats as well. Granted it's a horseshoe hook, so the weight should be evenly distributed, but we'll see...

On a side note, I do have an Adventurebilt from 2008-2009ish that I keep in a display case on a hat block/stand. Honestly, that hat looks identical to the day I bought it, no pest issues or anything. The block was cut to match the hat shape as closely as possible, but a word of warning to anyone that might want to try the same- the sweatband looks a bit wrinkled, I'm assuming because the wood dried it out? Just a guess, since it's a tailored fit...
MaverickFerg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaverickFerg »

Thanks for the info guys! Very helpful stuff!
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

The one Fedora I have hanging from a coat hook with 2 x jackets, bags, a whip etc. This is the one I use when I am outside and its one Mike arranged for me. It my favorite so its beaten up after years of wearing and its looking very tired these days.

Another one I got from the amazing duo of Steele and Jones. I have a life size Harrison head which is a terrific likeness (painted a flat grey) and the S&J Fedora sits on top of the bust on my wooded flat file drawers.

MARK
MaverickFerg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaverickFerg »

KramStaar wrote:The one Fedora I have hanging from a coat hook with 2 x jackets, bags, a whip etc. This is the one I use when I am outside and its one Mike arranged for me. It my favorite so its beaten up after years of wearing and its looking very tired these days.

Another one I got from the amazing duo of Steele and Jones. I have a life size Harrison head which is a terrific likeness (painted a flat grey) and the S&J Fedora sits on top of the bust on my wooded flat file drawers.

MARK

Where did you pick up your Harrison bust?! That’s a great idea!
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Couple ideas that could work...

Apologies if this last one belongs to someone here. Happy to give credit where it's due!

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I'm getting serious Hannibal Lecter vibes from those displays... Maybe a long lost novel/episode where he had some can-can dancers and a tour guide from the Jungle Cruise over for dinner...