Tanaka 4" airsoft

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Tanaka 4" airsoft

Post by gbrandwood »

So this arrived today, a Tanaka Smith & Wesson N-frame series M1917 Hand Ejector 2nd Five Screw cal. 455 4inch Custom Heavy Weight

Is this fairly close to the gun used in Raiders? It was the only Tanaka I could get my hands on. There seems to be several versions but this is the only one I've seen in person.

Feels weighty but I know nothing about guns! Will have to weigh it.
Attachments
20190819_185923_resize_24.jpg
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Tanaka 4" airsoft

Post by gbrandwood »

Without any 'ammo' it weighs approximately 738g
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

Another photo with a wooden handle added to replace the plastic parts that came with it, giving a better feel and slightly more weight in the handle. Only slight: 762g. Shame about the silver, slightly smaller medallion. The plastic one had a larger gold one which was more accurate maybe?
Attachments
20190819_223755_resize_22.jpg
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

The gold medallions are correct and if you are able to swap these out then it will certainly make it more accurate.

I can't comment on the gun itself since I have never seen a Tanaka but it sure looks like it will do the job.

M
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

I had the exact one .. i kept the grips it came with as they seem to better match the colour .. they can be aged down as seems fit ... i also took fine wire wool to the edges of mine to knock some life into it .. it looked the part ..

I like it a lot and only sold it on to help pay for my Tomenosuke Blade Runner blaster. i got my Tanaka in Hong Kong and really enjoyed it ... its easy to service and works really nicely but had a low end kick because of the air chamber being in the cylinder itself.

Things to watch .,.. the barrel is sadly the plastic part but looks the business as they blue it to match the body .. it can tend to wear off on the muzzle ends ... especially with a holster. There is also one screw about 2mm across on the frame above the handgrip that seems prone to dislodging ...

When i'm next in Hong kong I'm intending to pick up a replacement .. I also had a Browning hiPower but the Hand Ejector was by far and away my favourite of the two ..
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Wood,

Nice score. Do you mind sharing where you ordered it? :TOH:
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

The Character wrote:Things to watch .,.. the barrel is sadly the plastic part but looks the business as they blue it to match the body .. it can tend to wear off on the muzzle ends ... especially with a holster. There is also one screw about 2mm across on the frame above the handgrip that seems prone to dislodging ...
Thanks for the heads up. Mine won't see much action. It's mainly a display piece as use of imitation firearms is quite strict in the UK. But I'd love to give it a bit more character.
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

Cajunkraut wrote:Wood,

Nice score. Do you mind sharing where you ordered it? :TOH:
The gun was ordered from a Hong Kong store who happened to get a small number back in stock. I was tipped off by a guy on a Cosplay group on Facebook. The stock went within 24 hours! I'm not sure if I can name sellers on here but suffice to say they went out of stock.
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

KramStaar wrote:The gold medallions are correct and if you are able to swap these out then it will certainly make it more accurate.
I'm not sure I'm brave enough, or skilled enough, to take something like a Dremel to the wooden handles to slightly enlarge the medallion recess, in order to fit the plastic gold ones in place. I fear I might end up ruining the grips. Howevere I'd love to have the gold on there. But I'm satisfied for now I think.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

if you use the sanding tubes they can be used vertically or side on .. they would be perfect for routing out the area around the medallions
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

The Character wrote:if you use the sanding tubes they can be used vertically or side on .. they would be perfect for routing out the area around the medallions
when I'm feeling braver I might give that a go :TOH:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Alternatively you can look for the gold medallion grips on eBay and other sites.
I picked up a perfect pair there...

MARK
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

gbrandwood wrote:I'm not sure if I can name sellers on here but suffice to say they went out of stock.
As a moderator, I approve this message. :lol: Feel free to reveal your source for the community's possible future benefit.
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

Cajunkraut wrote:
gbrandwood wrote:I'm not sure if I can name sellers on here but suffice to say they went out of stock.
As a moderator, I approve this message. :lol: Feel free to reveal your source for the community's possible future benefit.
I purchased it online, from a company called
Octagon Airsoft: https://www.octagonairsoft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who are based in Hong Kong. Like I said, they sold out pretty much straight away. They shipped over to me in the UK. I had duty/VAT to pay on arrival, and it took a week before they sent tracking details but it arrived safe and sound. The grips were bought from a private individual via Facebook.
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

KramStaar wrote:Alternatively you can look for the gold medallion grips on eBay and other sites.
I picked up a perfect pair there...

MARK
Thanks for the suggestion. I just had a quick look. I couldn't see any available to the UK that looked exactly right. I might give the transplant a go but if I see the perfect grips, that would be a safer option, although it would mean greater expense! I think for now I'm good. Will try weathering it at some point.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

gbrandwood wrote:I purchased it online, from a company called Octagon Airsoft: https://www.octagonairsoft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who are based in Hong Kong. Like I said, they sold out pretty much straight away. They shipped over to me in the UK. I had duty/VAT to pay on arrival, and it took a week before they sent tracking details but it arrived safe and sound. The grips were bought from a private individual via Facebook.
Excellent, thank you! :TOH:

The direct link for anyone awaiting a restock:

https://www.octagonairsoft.com/product- ... F%E6%9C%AC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

Cajunkraut wrote:
gbrandwood wrote:I purchased it online, from a company called Octagon Airsoft: https://www.octagonairsoft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who are based in Hong Kong. Like I said, they sold out pretty much straight away. They shipped over to me in the UK. I had duty/VAT to pay on arrival, and it took a week before they sent tracking details but it arrived safe and sound. The grips were bought from a private individual via Facebook.
Excellent, thank you! :TOH:

The direct link for anyone awaiting a restock:

https://www.octagonairsoft.com/product- ... F%E6%9C%AC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Appears to be in stock!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And unless I'm mistaken, went up in price by $25 from when they were listed out of stock. :|

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
gbrandwood
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gbrandwood »

Indiana Jeff wrote:And unless I'm mistaken, went up in price by $25 from when they were listed out of stock. :|

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
the price is higher. I notice it now says steel finish. Mine was the 'heavy duty' version. Not sure of the difference.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

This company says in stock.
http://www.dentrinityshop.com/den_searc ... =48&rpp=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;