Wishlist: An AdVintage Harrison in Gray...Pretty please?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Wishlist: An AdVintage Harrison in Gray...Pretty please?

Post by Howard Weinstein »

As the satisfied owner of 2 AdVintage rabbit/beaver-mix Harrisons in the previous rich brown and the lovely new Raiders Sable color (see pic below), I'd love it if AdVintage would also offer the Harrison in Raiders-travel and/or Crystal Skull-train shades of gray.

For those of us who can't afford the fabulous high-priced hats, the Harrison is an affordably-elegant step up from serviceable entry-level options (like the workhorse Akubra Fed IV) for just a small bump in cost. It's a great hat -- and a great value.

If enough of us say "Pretty please," maybe we can convince AdVintage it's worthwhile to add Harrison grays (in both rabbit and rabbit/beaver) to their selection. How 'bout it -- who's with me?

adVintage
Vendor

Re: Wishlist: An AdVintage Harrison in Gray...Pretty please?

Post by adVintage »

Hi Howard,

thanks for the post! Which grey tone would you prefer? A blue-ish steel grey or a more beige smoke grey?

https://www.advintage.de/index.php/2017 ... s/?lang=en

Best regards
Thomas
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

I would definitely be interested too!

Either Steel grey or Smoke would be my vote. There are hardly any offerings for a good grey factory Indy hat out there. I would love to see this happen.

-Clipper
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

adVintage wrote:Hi Howard,

thanks for the post! Which grey tone would you prefer? A blue-ish steel grey or a more beige smoke grey?

Best regards
Thomas
Hey, Thomas!

Of those 2 choices, which color do you think is closer to the Crystal Skull train hat? It's hard to tell true color on computer monitor swatches. Since you've seen the colors in person, you'd have a better sense of that. Or is there another gray shade from your supplier (Fernandez & Roche?) that comes closer to the Crystal Skull hat?

Which gray on your color chart is your AdVintage custom Clipper hat?
And which color on the chart is the handsome gray hat pictured with your Custom Bespoke Fedora listing? This one:

Or, better for you, is there a gray that falls in the middle between the Raiders and Crystal Skull travel hats, allowing you to offer both styles from one stock hat?

Image Image

Thanks for considering this addition to your Harrison line-up!

Howard
Last edited by Howard Weinstein on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiffRalf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RiffRalf »

adVintage wrote:Hi Howard,

Best regards
Thomas
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

The Crytsal Skull Train fedora is a shade lighter, I think. My "mouse grey" should be closer than steel or smoke grey.

The Clipper is also available in steel grey and smoke grey. The adVintage fedora in the pic is steel grey.

Best
Thomas
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

Thomas, if you were to do a factory Harrison travel hat, I think a Raiders Clipper model would be more popular than a Crystal Skull Train model. My vote is for your closest colour to the Raiders Clipper Hat. Also, since the Clipper is more of a cool shade of grey, it is more versatile for Indy's formal business suit looks. For warmer, Earth tone ensembles (like those in LC ans CS), I think people can get away with wearing the main sable Harrison like Indy does himself when meeting Donovan.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

adVintage wrote:The Crytsal Skull Train fedora is a shade lighter, I think. My "mouse grey" should be closer than steel or smoke grey.

The Clipper is also available in steel grey and smoke grey. The adVintage fedora in the pic is steel grey.

Best
Thomas
Hi, Thomas --

Yes, I agree the Mouse Gray looks like the closest on the chart to the Crystal Skull train hat.
Is that color available from the F & R factory to meet your Harrison price points for rabbit and rabbit/beaver mix?

Image Image

I know you have your beautiful Clipper in the AdVintage custom Indy line-up...beyond my budget. :(
But I'll keep watching here and on your website to see if you add one or more grays to the Harrison line.
If/when you do, I'll probably have to buy myself a birthday present! :TOH:
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think CatManDoo88 is right, would be more reasonable to start with the Clipper for a grey hat, because it's more famous. Would start with steel grey in 100% rabbit and see how it works ;)
RiffRalf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RiffRalf »

adVintage wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think CatManDoo88 is right, would be more reasonable to start with the Clipper for a grey hat, because it's more famous. Would start with steel grey in 100% rabbit and see how it works ;)
If /when you do that I will have to order another hat .... =P~
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

adVintage wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think CatManDoo88 is right, would be more reasonable to start with the Clipper for a grey hat, because it's more famous. Would start with steel grey in 100% rabbit and see how it works ;)
Hi, Thomas --

I suspect you're right about starting with the Clipper hat, even though I'd prefer a lighter gray, like stone or mouse.
But even in steel gray, I'd be mighty tempted to get one. I've got a birthday coming up, and I like to buy myself one gift each year. I deserve a new hat! :)

Any idea of when you might have this new offering ready for ordering? Thanks!
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Looks like we got our wish! Just ordered my smoke grey Harrison!

I will post pics when it arrives.

-Clipper

https://www.advintage.de/index.php/2018 ... n/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Clipper wrote:Looks like we got our wish! Just ordered my smoke grey Harrison!

I will post pics when it arrives.

-Clipper

https://www.advintage.de/index.php/2018 ... n/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please do!

I see Thomas is either out of or didn't yet get his size 58 smoke grey Harrisons. I guess it's tough to keep all sizes of all colors in stock continuously. I hope that means they're already selling well :)
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

It arrived! And wow it she a beaut! I mean it.

I thought I had ordered it in the Raiders bash but it came open crown. Not a big deal as it did not take long to bash it using my Adventurebilt Raiders as a guide.

First let me say this is an amazing quality hat. Not only does it totally nail the Raiders look, but the felt is very thick, smooth and pliable, and the sweatband is soft and luxurious, very close to my AB. The liner is very nice too. The quality for price definitely exceeds my charcoal Akubra Federation. I also really love the color. On its own, its grey. When you put it next to a cooler grey (like my Akubra) you can see the warmer tones. I'm very happy with it, and look forward to letting it break in.

I'll have to see how it looks with my navy suit later, but this hat will be seeing lots of new wear.

-Clipper

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Very nice. Completely captures the "is it brown or grey" tones.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

That's what I was going to say! Very nice...
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Looks great! I hope adVintage sells a bunch of these.

Thanks to Thomas at adVintage for adding this one to the Harrison line-up :TOH: