Most SA SOC fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

GeorgeMacHale
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Most SA SOC fedora?

Post by GeorgeMacHale »

S&J? Advintage?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Most SA SOC fedora?

Post by Mulceber »

IMHO, just a regular Penman ABL - most of the dedicated SoC hats that I’ve seen go way overboard on the reverse taper. It’s really not that extreme in the movie, and Penman pulls it off really well. -M
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

A hatter that takes into account, not only the size of your head.
But also the shape of your face, the oval of the head (round, regular or long), and of course your body frame.
Everything to put in your head a hat that achieves the correct Raiders look ON YOU.
Not a hat to be weared only by Harrison Ford clons.

Drop an email:
pedidos@steele-jones.com.ar
Dr. Nebraska S.

Most SA SOC fedora?

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

In addition to the great hats by Steele & Jones and Penman (I don’t know as much about Advintage), there’s of course Herbert Johnson with the original block, and Garrison Hatters with his great fedora (but he may have taken a break due to his main job).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Forget Garrison hatters. He is no longer accepting orders. Pitty as I was about to drop some coin for that awesome new color he has.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

S&J and Advintage seem to have put the most effort into faithfully recreating the SOC "muffin top" look as far as I can tell.
GeorgeMacHale
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GeorgeMacHale »

Cajunkraut wrote:S&J and Advintage seem to have put the most effort into faithfully recreating the SOC "muffin top" look as far as I can tell.
Which one has the best recreation of the turn and the right side swoop?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Cajunkraut wrote:S&J and Advintage seem to have put the most effort into faithfully recreating the SOC "muffin top" look as far as I can tell.
True. But pretty sure they didn’t use rubber bands to create this look on the original. I think it was a too tight ribbon.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

GeorgeMacHale wrote:Which one has the best recreation of the turn and the right side swoop?
One of the hat gurus might wanna chime in, but from my experience, the turn and swoop are pretty standard across the board with any decent Indy hat vendor.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Jeremiah wrote:Forget Garrison hatters. He is no longer accepting orders. Pitty as I was about to drop some coin for that awesome new color he has.
Really??
GeorgeMacHale
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GeorgeMacHale »

Cajunkraut wrote:
GeorgeMacHale wrote:Which one has the best recreation of the turn and the right side swoop?
One of the hat gurus might wanna chime in, but from my experience, the turn and swoop are pretty standard across the board with any decent Indy hat vendor.
Haven't seen the swoop on any Steele and Jones hats. :-k

Looking for something like this: https://www.advintage.de/wp-content/upl ... _hut_2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.advintage.de/wp-content/upl ... _hut_3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

From what you’re saying, it sounds like you’ve basically already decided that the Advintage is the one you want. A lot of people have been very happy with their Advintage hats, and you likely will be as well.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Here's the swoop when you wear the hat:

(you usually need to wear the hat, or have a hat stretcher inside it to get the swoop, but when you take the hat off, the brim would look flat. Like it looks the hat at the Smithsonian, for example. Then, when you wear the hat again, the swoop will return)

If you want to see some more of our work, you can find us in Facebook and Instagram, so we don't bore people talking about our work.
On the other hand, we are friends of Thomas of Advintage and admire his work, so you can't go wrong if you chose him instead.
Last edited by Odo on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeMacHale
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GeorgeMacHale »

Mulceber wrote:From what you’re saying, it sounds like you’ve basically already decided that the Advintage is the one you want. A lot of people have been very happy with their Advintage hats, and you likely will be as well.
True but it's a little pricey.
GeorgeMacHale
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GeorgeMacHale »

:-k
Last edited by GeorgeMacHale on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

teneas wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Forget Garrison hatters. He is no longer accepting orders. Pitty as I was about to drop some coin for that awesome new color he has.
Really??
What I was told when he emailed me the response to an order inquiry.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

teneas wrote:
Really??
Not to derail the discussion....bu I just 'nudged' Dave to remind him he needed to post that info HERE, but this is what he posted on his Garrison Hatters FB page on March 4th:
Wow! I just looked at the last time I posted. That is an indication in how busy I have been for a while.
I have been wanted to post this announcement for a while, too, but time just keeps moving on and on. However,
I am announcing that I will be not taking hat orders for a now. My land surveying side of life has just skyrocketed over the last year and has completely enveloped my free time. I don’t want my lead times to stretch out for months, so I will discontinue order taking for a while.
With that said, over the last several months, I have been working updating and improvement on all my hat blocks. I ran prototype tests and have been very excited with the results. My last few customers will benefit from this change. It is amazing how subtle the adjustment to my blocks were, but, Wow, the non-subtle change to the outcome. I will be posting a customer who was fortunate to get this new and improved block. He is very excited with the look. So, stay tuned.
I’ll announce when I plan to get back in to hat making. Hopefully , it won’t be too long a wait. But, who knows.
Thank you to all the greats customers in the world that I have had over the past 9 years. Enjoy!
Regards! Michaelson
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Well...that's better news...he might be taking orders in the future.
Though I'm a hatmaker, I'd always wanted one of his Bogart hats, which are pretty cool. I hope to order from him someday....
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Here's my version of the SOC fedora. Weathered and clean.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

This is my Penman ABL.
My go to hat.

[url=http://s193.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Croft :mrgreen:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

That one rocks, Croft! I love how Penman’s have just a bit of mushrooming, and that swoop is great!
cybertrek
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cybertrek »

Here is my AdVintage in Raiders Sable. Its been tweaked a bit.
jim
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Hi, this is our latest upgrade to this model:

If you want to see some more of our work, you can find us in Facebook (@SteeleandJones ) and Instagram ( @steele.and.jones ), so we don't bore you here talking about ourselves!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Looks great, Odo- I think you guys have the mushroom top just right. Any plans to start offering folded sweatbands, now that those pics of the screen used hat have come out?
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Actually, I tried that in my own hat. Looks like the one Brandon of The Prop Store shared...but you'd have to order 1/2 or even 1 full size bigger, since its quite uncomfortable if you do that to a hat in your right size...
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Hmm...that's something I'll keep in mind...at any rate, it's great that that's an option.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Paying someone to fold your sweatband? :shock:

This raises some questions.
1. Was a hat made that was too big for Ford’s noggin?
2. Did someone else wear the hat and fold the sweatband because it was too big for their own noggin?
3. Did ford fold the sweatband so the hat stayed on him while riding a horse and a truck?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Paying someone to fold your sweatband? :shock:
:lol: Well, I'm assuming that the actual folding would come gratis. But I might order a size large so that it could be folded.

As to the questions you raised, I'd have the check the timeline of when individual scenes were shot, but iirc, SoC was last among the Tunisia shots,* and the slight bulging at the base of the crown that the folded sweatband created is visible in that scene. So it seems like the hat was probably a tad loose on Ford, so when they got to the truck chase, he folded the sweatband to keep the dang hat on, and left it that way through the rest of the Tunisia sequence. That would be my guess anyway.

*edit: just checked and it was indeed the last. See this post: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?p=22676#p22676
RegDwight
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RegDwight »

First post on any forum, ever, but the information on Indy’s hat is just too interesting not to join in on. Re: the folding of the sweatband, I seem to recall a video that showed Harrison Ford shooting a staple gun to the fedora on his head as a joke. After that, he mentioned how he had learned to keep his hat on during action scenes. Perhaps folding the sweatband was one of his techniques.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Welcome then, RegDwight!
Actually, yes! Like you said, it's very likely that was the reason for bending the sweatband! And like you also said, there's too much info on Indy hats to learn! Almost 40 years from the 1st movie and still learning!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yep, I suspect that’s exactly why it was folded. It must have been sized badly since a) I’ve always found on hats that fit that sweat makes the sweatband cling even more securely to my forehead and b) Ford was still able to fit it on his head after folding the sweatband.

Ps. Welcome to the board!
RegDwight
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RegDwight »

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! It sure is a fascinating story! I should have come here years ago, as there is so much wonderful information I have found in a few hours that I have spent much time looking for (and failing to find) elsewhere.