Concern about leather sole on Alden Indy's.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Concern about leather sole on Alden Indy's.

Post by Parttimeteacher »

I live in southwest Georgia and we get our fair share of rain. In addition, every morning, any contact with grass will saturate shoes and lower pants legs. Where I live is rural so staying on the concrete isn't an option. So my question is this:

How well do Aldens hold up to wet, rough environments?
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Concern about leather sole on Alden Indy's.

Post by Trenin »

The outsole of an Alden Indy boot is not leather, with the exception of a couple of layers of the stacked heel. The will do just fine in a wet environment, but do not expect them to be water proof; they are not.
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks. I thought the sole under the ball of the foot and arch was leather and just the heel had rubber.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I live in South Central Tennessee, and yes, use common sense in the rain with standard Alden's.

Though I've never had a problem with the soles in rain, I HAVE had the stacked leather actually separate and fall out of sections above the rubber heel when I once got caught in a frog drowning rain storm and had to pretty much wade through deep puddles in my walk that day.

I was able to push the sections back into the holes (like playing Jenga! :lol: ) with some good glue, and all fixed.

Otherwise, NO problems with regular use in regular rainy situations.

They're resistant, but they're not galoshes any more than our jackets are rain coats. ;)

Don't baby them, but keep in mind they ARE leather in those critical areas.

Regards! Michaelson
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

yes, I too have experienced the same heel problem as michaelson. The leather sandwiched inbetween the rubber heel ,when saturated, expanded and created a visible gap - when they dried out they returned to normal. Aldens are a great boot but ,as mentioned, probably not the best in extreme wet conditions. I think I remember this issue has been talked about in a previous thread.
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a pair of Thursday Diplomats that are doing well for me right now.
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Trenin wrote:The outsole of an Alden Indy boot is not leather
I never realized that it was rubber. Neo-cork, but rubbery outsole nonetheless.