Could a bullwhip support a climber?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Ravenwood
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Could a bullwhip support a climber?

Post by Ravenwood »

could you really climb up a whip like indy did in the films? Can the leather support the weight of a fully grown man?
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

whipman
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

whips

Post by whipman »

to answer your question a whip CAN NOt hold the wieght of a climber.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: whip

Post by Sergei »

INDIANAMIKEY wrote:Not even a 160 pound man?????
Nope! All the stunt whips in IJ had the steel cables as the core. So did the most other movies. Good stunt guys wouldn't and shoudn't take the chance with normal (non-cabled) whips. Safety is first in the stunt industry. You want to ruin a good whip, it's your dime and your healthcare subscription.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Remember that "Jacket" he wore in the movies, there were multiple jackets for all the scenes and stunts as well. The same with the fedora. Movie Magic is great, isn't it. But even IF the whip could hold you up, WOULD you really WANT to do it? I only have about 5 whips currently, and try my best to take care of them and make them last, swinging on one or dragging behind a truck with another will not extend the life of your whip in any way, shape or form. :wink:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

At the ripe ol' age of 11, I used to run around the woods around our cabin recreating all the Indy scenes I saw earlier that summer. Unfortunately, I only had a "dime store" whip that my parents bought me to complete my Halloween costume.

Well, I got to swinging a few times when I'd find a proper tree branch and everthing was great. Then on one try, I was going from rock to rock. Well mid swing, the cheaply tacked in wooden handle slipped right off, and I landed on my back square on the opposite rock, waiting for my breath to return as the wind was knocked out of me. I'm glad it wasn't anything worse.

I had to take some penny nails and reattach the handle. The whip wasn't much good to me after that... but still served the imagination of a pre-teen. It still went well with my hand-me-down fedora and jean jacket, I suppose.

Mike
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

If you got a heavy duty 4 or 6 plait cow hide whip (like WSP american whips) it could definetly support you. It might slip off the branch but it wouldn't break. I have a 6 plait american whip from WSP and the thing is a tank!!! check these out http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/m ... ry_Code=AB
-scott
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Mikey,
Those are actually really great whips. That exact style was my very first whip, when I was nine or ten. And the price is great, too. I think mine was $40.00 for a six-footer, even all those years ago. It was my one "special" (meaning it's all I got, but it was all I really wanted.) Christmas gift that year. I beat the #### out that poor thing; used it on concrete, gravel, in the snow, I swung from it all the time and even used to walk through streams with it fully submerged. and I NEVER treated it with anything (what does a ten year-old know about leather care?). And guess what? I STILL have it, twenty years later. It's a bit rough on the eyes but it's still in good shape and works as well as ever. I'll email you a pic of her if you want.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Before I go any further let me state that I do not recommend climbing up a whip. It is not designed for this and is not the best use of a whip.

With that said, a well made roo hide bullwhip can, if the situation truly warrants it, hold the weight of a full grown man. A three hundred pound man? Probably not. But an average height and weight man is what I am referring to. This is assuming, of course, that the whip is wrapped perfectly around the what ever it is you are climbing to.

This is not to say that the whip will not break. I think that you risk breaking at least one or more strands. However, a whip thong is made up of many strands all spiraling around each other and a core making a very dense and strong structure. The odds are against several strands all breaking at the exact same point. The real danger of falling lies more in the fact that the whip may slip from it's hold or the purchase point (i.e. a tree limb, etc.) breaks rather than a structural failure of the whip.

Again, this activity will most likely ruin your whip by either breaking a strand due to friction or stretching the thong out and misshaping the taper. Or causing you serious injury. Please do not climb up your whip. But you asked if it could support a man and I believe it could under optimal circumstances. So there you have it.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

I would have to concur wholeheartedly with Kyle.

David once told me a story of a guy supporting his weight with a 4-plait whistle lanyard, over a beam, because he initially didn't think they would be strong enough...although I don't know how much the guy weighed. This lanyard is 4-plait with no core, made from 1/4" to 3/16" wide lace.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

The only thing I would add is if the whip survives, at least the laces would be really stretched out to the result of huge gaps between each lace. It would look very similar to the posted picture of that Joe Strain whip someone posted not too long ago. I am not implying that is what happened to that whip, but I think the result would be similar.

And again, stunt people don't use anything less than a cabled whip for climbing and hanging. I always keep circling back to that practice. If they don't do it, why should anybody else. Unless it's an emergency has Kyle mentioned.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Sergei,

I agree with you as well. It's neither smart, safe, nor will it in any way benefit your whip!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

You guys all make some great points, and I agree with you totally. I take a much simpler view, however, when it comes to climbing on a whip; whips are for cracking, not climbing! If you think are going to be in a situation where you may need to climb out of a hole or up a tree, etc., be prepared, bring a rope! :D

Regards,
Jim
Last edited by ecwhips on Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

Well said, Kyle, Paul, Jim, Walt, et al. As quoted by Paul, a 4 strand lanyard will hold considerable weight.
But there are so many other factors that come into play, that swinging on or climbing up a whip is just not safe.

If you come across an area in your adventures that is too wide to jump across, then it dang sure is to wide to swing across. I would recommend finding another route around it. Who knows - more adventures might lie around alternate route.

Just stay safe.

Jerry
Koreana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Koreana Jones »

@#$%! I just tested to see if my DM whip from 1983 can support me at a 45 degree angle. NOPE! My 10ft is now a 6ft whip. Hollywood is teaching us a false sense of reality. Someone is going to pay for this. I am really ticked at the moment. First stepping on my Keppler fedora and now this. :evil: I have all the luck. Edge? Sergei? Who should I hold responsible for this? The whip felt like it can hold 280 pounds. I guess not! Someone better zap this post before someone else loses a whip. Have a good one. I'm trying too...

Best Regards,
Jun
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

If your joking, then you got me good :lol:
If your serious, then that really *****!!!! I feel for you man! :cry:
-scott
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician