Raiders screen used back length

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Raiders screen used back length

Post by Deck89 »

Hi guys, which was the back lenght of the jacket used by Ford in raiders of the lost ark? I've read somewhere 23 ", is it possible? thank you
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Raiders screen used back length

Post by xmasters »

It was 23 or 24. In that area. I believe the Bill Kelso Relic Hunter jackets which are screen accurate reproductions are about 23 backlength for the size of jacket Ford would have worn, with a chest 40-42 ish.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

The back of the collar hung back a bit, so it gave the illusion that the back length was an inch or two longer.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Deck89 wrote:Hi guys, which was the back lenght of the jacket used by Ford in raiders of the lost ark? I've read somewhere 23 ", is it possible? thank you
According to the only person who inspected and measured a Raiders HERO screen-used jacket,Tony Nowak, the back lenght on that one was 23". At the time he measured the jacket (year 2009)

But, if we take into account the fact that, the specific leather used on the original jackets shrinks with time, we can safely add 1" / 1.5" inches to get the true original back lenght.

That takes us to a 24" / 24.5" back lenght on RAIDERS Hero jackets, to be weared by Harrison Ford (almost to 6' tall).-
Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Deck89 »

I'm waiting for a s&j raiders in ribby merino, about 23.5 back lenght and my height is 5' 9''. Should be fine?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

My LC is on way and has a back of 22.5”. I am around 5’4”
So you being 5’9” and 23.5” back should be just right for a raiders.
Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Deck89 »

I already have a wested LC with a 25.5 back, for a LC the major length is proper in my opinion, but the raiders model must be more short, like a bomber jacket.
One question, the s&j raiders have a hero pattern right?
Maybe for a standard western raiders 23.5 back can be short, but for a hero model should be right considering the different pattern.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I'm 5' 11" and my Hero has a back length of 24.5 inches which I feel is excellent for my height so sounds about right.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiego Jones wrote:
Deck89 wrote:Hi guys, which was the back lenght of the jacket used by Ford in raiders of the lost ark? I've read somewhere 23 ", is it possible? thank you
According to the only person who inspected and measured a Raiders HERO screen-used jacket,Tony Nowak, the back lenght on that one was 23". At the time he measured the jacket (year 2009)

But, if we take into account the fact that, the specific leather used on the original jackets shrinks with time, we can safely add 1" / 1.5" inches to get the true original back lenght.

That takes us to a 24" / 24.5" back lenght on RAIDERS Hero jackets, to be weared by Harrison Ford (almost to 6' tall).-
A couple of things. Ford is six feet one. Regarding the back length. It MAY have shrink. But since we don't actually have access to the original length measurements we can only speculate that it has shrunk. My understanding is that the Raiders sleeves measured by Tony were the same length (25.5 inches?) as his new jacket built to Ford's size so they hadn't shrunk. So I'm not sure we can say the back shrunk but it is an interesting theory. :TOH:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

CM wrote:
Indiego Jones wrote:

A couple of things. Ford is six feet one. Regarding the back length. It MAY have shrink. But since we don't actually have access to the original length measurements we can only speculate that it has shrunk. My understanding is that the Raiders sleeves measured by Tony were the same length (25.5 inches?) as his new jacket built to Ford's size so they hadn't shrunk. So I'm not sure we can say the back shrunk but it is an interesting theory. :TOH:
Honestly, I don't see Ford being taller than 6 feet. But sure there must be a record of it.

This are Tony's measurements on the RAIDERS jacket:
Left Sleeve Length: 25 1/2"
Right Sleeve Length: 25"

That was stated by him directly and posted, back then (2009).
I've saved every measurement he shared.

From the experience we had with the most similar batch of leather we worked on the past years, the back panel contracts....a lot.
Not the sleeves, not the front.
There's a reason, and relies on the specific cut of the back panel.-
Last edited by Indiego Jones on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Deck89 »

strange, I thought that the sleeves were easy to shrink, most than the back, due to the fact that is easy to formed many small folds.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Deck89 wrote:strange, I thought that the sleeves were easy to shrink, most than the back, due to the fact that is easy to formed many small folds.
The folds depends on the sleeve pattern cut. Not just shrinking.-
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Ford is about 5'11'' now in old age (you lose height as you age, plus his spine injuries), at the time of Star Wars and Raiders he was 6' 1/2". His costume measurement sheet for Star Wars has his height at that (he would have been measured by wardrobe for that). Definitely not under 6ft during that time. Connery is 6'2" and you can see the clear inch difference between their heights in Last Crusade. He doesn't always have the best posture though, look at the Raven bar scene and he's hunching forward quite a bit.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

6 1/2” to 5’11”? That doesn’t sound right. Sure our spine compresses as we age and we can tend to hunch over but unless he had bone removed I don’t think he shrunk by 7 inches.

Did they remove a vertebrae from his spine? Do you have facts to back that up?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

He said 6 feet and 1/2", ergo Ford only shrunk by 1.5 inches. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

My bad. I misread that as 6.5 down to 5’11”. Ha.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Figured as much. 7" would be quite a feat. ;)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Jeremiah wrote:6 1/2” to 5’11”? That doesn’t sound right. Sure our spine compresses as we age and we can tend to hunch over but unless he had bone removed I don’t think he shrunk by 7 inches.

Did they remove a vertebrae from his spine? Do you have facts to back that up?
Not all men shrink with age. I have no reason to think Harrison is any shorter these days, but I accept that he was 6ft 1 in 1981. I still think the idea that the jacket shrank in back is speculation. It may have. It can happen. But it may not have shrunk at all. :TOH: Until recently I had a 1989 wrinkly lambskin bomber jacket that has sat in the trunk of my car in summer and been poorly stored for almost 30 years. It is still 26 inches at back as it was when I bought it.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

CM wrote:
Not all men shrink with age. I have no reason to think Harrison is any shorter these days,
Check out celeb heights website, you can see photos of Ford in recent years standing next to other male actors in the 5'10" range and he's barely much taller. Look at Expendables 3, Ford appears to be the same height as stallone who is 5'9'' barefoot (stallone wears heels to make himself taller). It's very common for men to have lost an inch of height by the time they reach 70, pretty much a medical fact. Women lose more.
Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Deck89 »

considering that at the time it was at least 6'1 around, how can not be short a jacket around 24 back considering his height? Is pretty realistic that ford was 6'1 '', look at it in movies like star wars, you can see it was a tall guy...
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The Raiders jacket is a short jacket. It's frequently flying above his waist line during the action scenes.

free web hosting images
Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Deck89 »

My new jacket, is on way!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yeah that looks great. :tup:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

xmasters wrote:
CM wrote:
Not all men shrink with age. I have no reason to think Harrison is any shorter these days,
Check out celeb heights website, you can see photos of Ford in recent years standing next to other male actors in the 5'10" range and he's barely much taller. Look at Expendables 3, Ford appears to be the same height as stallone who is 5'9'' barefoot (stallone wears heels to make himself taller). It's very common for men to have lost an inch of height by the time they reach 70, pretty much a medical fact. Women lose more.
The celebs site is funny I've seen it before but it's not a place to go for facts. Photos? I have a bunch of photos with a friend of mine taken over the years. He looks the same hight or taller than me in more than a few shots. He is in fact 4 inches shorter. It's all in the stance, posture, perspective of the shot and angle of the photographer, etc. But ultimately Ford may well have shrunk, I just don't think we need to assume it. It certainly has no bearing on the Raiders jacket seen by Tony Nowak. :mrgreen:
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

His costume measurement sheet for Star Wars has his height at that (he would have been measured by wardrobe for that).
Anybody ever seen this sheet?
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

OK. I received an email from Tony which included all of the key measurements of "the jacket that matters". Make what you will of these:

HELLO CHRIS ,HERE ARE THE MEASURMENTS OF THE JACKET THAT MATTERS:

FRONT LENGTH: 23 INCHES.
BACK LENGTH: 23 INCHES.
SLEEVE: 25.5 INCHES.
CHEST: 22.5 INCHES ACCROSS.
WAIST: 21.5 INCHES ACCROSS.
SHOULDER: 6.75 INCHES.

THE FRONT MEASURMENT INCLUDES THE COLLAR STAND SO THE JACKET ON ITS OWN IS SHORTER THEN INDY 4. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THE JACKET I WORKED WITH WAS BEAT UP AND STRETCHED OUT, YOU YOURSELF CAN MEASURE ANY OTHER LEATHER JACKET OVER AND OVER AND COME UP WITH SOME DIFFERENCES.

THE JACKET OO1 WAS MADE WITH THE IDEA OF THE PRODUCTION JACKET BUT DUE TO OTHER REQUESTS I WILL FOLLOW UP ON ALL OF THEM. IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE ALL INDY FANS IN OUR FACTORY THE DAY I HAD THAT JACKET, NOW THAT I REALIZE HOW CRUCIAL THAT WAS, BUT I DID SOMETHING I NEVER DID WITH ANY OTHER FILM JACKETS I WORKED WITH - I COUNTED THE TEETH ON THE ZIPPER.

KIND REGARD TONY NOWAK,( NOW I DO EXPRESS MYSELF BETTER ON THE PHONE ) .
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

afalzon wrote:
His costume measurement sheet for Star Wars has his height at that (he would have been measured by wardrobe for that).
Anybody ever seen this sheet?
Here:

Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Deck89 »

afalzon wrote:
OK. I received an email from Tony which included all of the key measurements of "the jacket that matters". Make what you will of these:

THE FRONT MEASURMENT INCLUDES THE COLLAR STAND SO THE JACKET ON ITS OWN IS SHORTER THEN INDY 4.
I think the front part lenght is impossible to lose inches, because the presence of the zip. Probably the sleeves, maybe the back, but the front I don't think so.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

Xmasters, and what is the source of that please?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

afalzon wrote:Xmasters, and what is the source of that please?
I'm afraid not anything official. I've had it for a few years, friend of mine who used to work in movies. Take it for what it is. Maybe authentic, maybe not. Would seem an odd forgery to me though. Not really worth much money.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

usually those forms mention the name of the costumiers and the name of the movie
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

afalzon wrote:

THE FRONT MEASURMENT INCLUDES THE COLLAR STAND SO THE JACKET ON ITS OWN IS SHORTER THEN INDY 4. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THE JACKET I WORKED WITH WAS BEAT UP AND STRETCHED OUT, YOU YOURSELF CAN MEASURE ANY OTHER LEATHER JACKET OVER AND OVER AND COME UP WITH SOME DIFFERENCES.

THE JACKET OO1 WAS MADE WITH THE IDEA OF THE PRODUCTION JACKET BUT DUE TO OTHER REQUESTS I WILL FOLLOW UP ON ALL OF THEM. IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE ALL INDY FANS IN OUR FACTORY THE DAY I HAD THAT JACKET, NOW THAT I REALIZE HOW CRUCIAL THAT WAS, BUT I DID SOMETHING I NEVER DID WITH ANY OTHER FILM JACKETS I WORKED WITH - I COUNTED THE TEETH ON THE ZIPPER.

KIND REGARD TONY NOWAK,( NOW I DO EXPRESS MYSELF BETTER ON THE PHONE ) .
Yes. I thought I remembered that the sleeve was 25.5.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

I'm trying to find the 000/888 Raiders NOWAK thread. I can't.

That jacket was 1:1 copy Tony made of the screen-used jacket.

Here are the measurements (taken by a fan visiting Tony's workshop in 2009):

Front Flap w/ Collar Stand vertically from bottom to top: 23"
Shoulder from sleeve seam to collar seam: ~7"
Sleeves from cuff to sleeve seam: between 25 1/2" to 25 3/4"
Back vertical length from Collar Stand to Lower back panel: 23"
Chest width: 22 1/2"
Waist width: 21 1/2"
Pockets: 8" x 6.5"

IMO, there's 1 inch missing in the full back lenght, because of shrinking.
I did that correction on a few jackets, and end up more accurate to what is seen on screen.-
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Diego,

Alafazon posted it above. It used to be or still is in the archives.

Check the first post on the first page:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, as you may attest, the Hero collar was cut deep into the back, if I am not mistaken. ;)

With the unusual cut of the jacket, probably going for a shorter jacket so the gun and whip would not get snagged, 23" is entirely possible.
Deck89
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Deck89 »

https://www.google.it/search?q=harrison ... hzsYEjxFEM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:

In my opinion 185 cm for Ford is realistic, look the length of the leg.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I'm 5' 11" and the back length on my Wested Hero is 24.5 inches which is just right for my height.