KOTCS Backpack Contents

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

KOTCS Backpack Contents

Post by temple_runner »

I searched some of the other KOTCS Backpack threads, but didn't find the information I was looking for. Which is, what did (or do you think) Indy kept in his backpack from KOTCS?
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Re: KOTCS Backpack Contents

Post by Bigfoot »

I would guess a change of clothes, shaving kit and flashlight.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Bigfoot wrote:I would guess a change of clothes, shaving kit and flashlight.
Yeah, definitely. I wonder why they chose to have him carry the backpack. After all, he didn't carry his suitcase or valise in either of the other three films.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Short Round carried his valise in Temple of Doom. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

Michaelson wrote:Short Round carried his valise in Temple of Doom. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
So "he" technically, didn't?

Sorry, I teach high school and I had to throw in the devil's advocate answer, haha!

You're right, though. Any idea why he carried the backpack at all in KOTCS?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Probably had Mutt's motorcycle in there..... :-k

:Plymouth:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

temple_runner wrote:You're right, though. Any idea why he carried the backpack at all in KOTCS?
My guess, it was strictly a wardrobe choice by Bernie trying to add his stamp to an iconic look. Same as putting the satchel strap over the jacket.

The backpack was only in a couple of quick shots and never served a purpose in the story narrative. They didn't even use it to haul around the skull at any point.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dr. Nebraska S.

KOTCS Backpack Contents

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
temple_runner wrote:You're right, though. Any idea why he carried the backpack at all in KOTCS?
My guess, it was strictly a wardrobe choice by Bernie trying to add his stamp to an iconic look. Same as putting the satchel strap over the jacket.

The backpack was only in a couple of quick shots and never served a purpose in the story narrative. They didn't even use it to haul around the skull at any point.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
There is one scene with the skull in it: after they discovered the skull and come out of the graveyard at dawn (about the 55:40 point of the film) only to find Mac and the Russians there. Indy is forced to hand over the backpack with the skull. I figured they chose the backpack because the satchel wasn't big enough to hold the skull as it had been for previous artifacts (such as the idol, the Shankara stones, and wasn't the grail in the satchel at one point?).

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yes, that's the way the scene plays out, but I went back to look at screen grabs and we never see Indy actually put the skull in the backpack. And after the Russian camp, the skull is carried in the burlap sack.
Bigfoot wrote:I would guess a change of clothes, shaving kit and flashlight.
Also, ironically in the same scene where Mac takes the skull, you can see Indy's flashlight in his jacket pocket.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dr. Nebraska S.

KOTCS Backpack Contents

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Agreed that we don't see the skull placed in the backpack, but Indy does start hugging the backpack with two arms when he sees Mac and the Russians, and the skull was no where else to be seen, strongly implying the skull is in the backpack. Unless Dr. Jones is REALLY desperate for the Russians to not get a hold of his spare change of clothes in the backpack... ;-)

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I think everyone's forgotten the most obvious thing: a canteen full of water.
Cinemalens
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cinemalens »

Mulceber wrote:I think everyone's forgotten the most obvious thing: a canteen full of water.

Good call! Especially going down to hot Peru lol

I would say he might also have some emergency and survival gear. Some things that immediately come to mind might be a small first aid kit, fire starters, snake bite kit, rope, gloves, spare change of clothes (at least a spare pair of socks) maybe a bed roll, and of course some food of some kind. Not sure if they had MREs back then, but some kind of army rations would be perfect.

And of the obvious things like ammo, gun cleaning kit, pocket knife, and maybe even a change of batteries for that nice new flashlight of his ;)