How to handle the fedora

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

How to handle the fedora

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I have a 10 year old Lee keppler and the felt is starting to wear off Where I grab it which is the pinch of the hat. Someone told me not to grab it by the punch of the hat but by the brim to take it on and off any information would be helpful. How do y'all handle your indy hats.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: How to handle the fedora

Post by captblitzdawg »

Chewbacca Jones I think is the authority on this. I know handling the hat by the pinch is generally a no-no. The front and back of the brim are how I put the hat on.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, I figure I'm doing something right, because I have hats that are 10 years old that look almost new.

It's OK to hold the hat by the front/pinch, as long as you don't squeeze. That's what damages the felt. I limit it to just cupping the hat.

Lifting and holding should always be by the the brim, to put it on, take it off, or move it. I rarely hold it by the front of the brim, generally the sides or back. I only grip as tight as needed, and no more (if it's windy, or I'm near a place where I could lose it, I hold on tight).

My favorite technique for taking my hat off is to lift the rear of the brim with one hand. Don't know why, I just do.
If I want the experience of putting it on Indy-style (by the pinch), I will pick it up by the brim, then flip it to cup the pinch in the other hand, and place it on my head. You can push down to settle the hat in place, just don't do any squeezing!

Ah, the science of hat wearing! :rolling:
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Thanks that was very helpful
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

See? Told ya Chewie was the expert. No disrespect to you, Michaelson- you know and have probably forgotten more than I could ever hope to!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Also, when you put them down on a table or shelf, always upside down on the crown. Don't leave them in a hot car and when they get heavily wet from rain, best to put a hat stretcher in there.

Also make sure and take it for a walk every now and then and you can't feed it after midnight. ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Grabbing it by the pinch causes the felt at the 'fold' to bend over and over. Eventually the felt will give out. Think of a piece of paper that is wood fibers all bound together. If you fold the paper and continually touch the fold and/or fold and unfold the paper repeatedly, over time the fibers break down and will tear. Exact same thing with fur felt, though the process takes longer. About 10 years. ;)

I still remember a Cosby Show episode in which Theo was talking to his grandpa. Theo was borrowing a hat to wear and picked it up by the pinch. His grandfather corrected him saying to always handle a hat by its brim.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Thanks for the info
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

captblitzdawg wrote:See? Told ya Chewie was the expert. No disrespect to you, Michaelson- you know and have probably forgotten more than I could ever hope to!
No problem. If you folks consider Chewie 'the' expert, I've deleted my post so not to clutter the discussion.

Carry on.

Regard! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

And never use it as Pepsi pitcher... that's an old wives' tale! :CR:

(BTW; at least half of what I know about hats and jackets, I learned from Michaelson!)